Massage Oil Preferences?

I have an upcoming date in August with a truly wonderful lady. She's a great friend and confidante.

It's a two hour appointment and the first hour belongs to her for her pampering. I gave her a choice of many things, and she chose to receive a Swedish massage.

I went to massage school and am adept at this, though a bed is really a poor substitute for a proper table; but I'll get by. (*grin*)

I've used lots of different massage oils over time -- scented, unscented, apricot kernel, sunflower, etc. But it isn't something I do for a living; so I don't have a vast body of customer feedback on oil preferences.

What I would like to know is -- what are the preferences of folks out there for massage oils? What works best, is least problematic, leaves your skin feeling best, etc.?

Also, I have heard that there are non-staining massage oils available. Has anyone tried these, and if so, how well do they work?
It's a two hour appointment and the first hour belongs to her for her pampering... Originally Posted by Laurentius
SO..... when you coming to Corpus? LOL
Hey there... I've been a massage therapist for 3 years.. Until recently, I used grapeseed oil or biotone's organics... but a client brought in Neutrogena Body Oil (Sesame Oil) to use on him, because if you use it sparingly, you really don't HAVE to take a shower after or towel off after. It really just soaks right into the skin. I like it, and it doesn't have a strong smell either. Neutrogena also makes a fragrance-free body oil too, which I haven't tried yet. The body oil doesn't seem to stain clothes either, like other massage oils. You can usually get the Neutrogena Body Oil at walmart or walgreens.. Grapeseed oil and the like, probably at a health food store.. Or you can go to a Sally's Beauty Supply or BeautyCo or something like that and get regular massage oil. Just my .02. Have fun
Well, I prefer lotion over oil any day but of course, that is just MY opinion. I use Biotone lotions but unless you can find it locally, you would have to order it online.

Good luck...sounds like a lot of fun!
Yeah lotion or creme is good on women.. but on men, it can clump in the hair... that's a good choice.. biotone, is in my opinion, the best. You can get biotone at some massage schools that sell product, or maybe at a back health store.. or any medical equipment store, maybe.
I prefer a light unscented oil when going for a massage. heavy oil too hard to rinse off... but then I am a guy.... but have heard this from other ladies as well.
I once received a small set of concentrated oil scents that you mix with any neutral massage oils. It had about 8 different scents, kind of an aroma therapy concept. I wish I could tell you where he got it, but if you can find that you can give her the option of what kind of mood she's in!
What a wonderful thing to get the input of people who actually perform massage for a living!

I'll definitely be checking out these ideas -- and may simply bring more than one thing (i.e. the body oil AND the lotion plus possible scent additions) to make sure she's covered.
Assuming the massage will progress to other things, are the oils above latex friendly, if not what oil is the prefered latex friendly?
  • 07-23-2010, 09:14 AM
[...] what oil is the prefered latex friendly? Originally Posted by trubrit
silicone oil, esp. polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS)

so much the chemistry, for all things practical just ask for "Pjur".