In Memoriam: Sweet Pea March 27, 1996 - August 22, 2012

My beloved chihuahua Sweet Pea passed away in the wee hours of the morning. She had nearly recovered from her kidney problem and was becoming happy, licky, waggy, playful puppy again, but a couple of days ago she started breathing heavy, and when I took her in to the vet yesterday she almost passed out on his table. She was rushed into doggy ER, put in an oxygen cage and on massive Lasix to drain fluids that had evidently built up on her heart, and when I left her, which tore my guts out, she was up and alert and I really, really thought I'd be picking HER, not her body, up this morning. The guilt and "What if's," what if I'd taken her in sooner, what if I had done something different, what if I had just accepted this was her end of the line at least taken her home last night to die in my arms and not alone and afraid in a cage, are driving me insane. At least I got an extra month, for which I'm thankful. It was exactly a month ago today I thought I was going to lose her, and to pull her back from THAT and then have THIS happen........... I wish I'd spent more time with her, but I guess we all wish that when someone we love passes. There's never enough time, and we always want more.

Everybody, go hug your dog, or favorite human, RIGHT NOW.

Because of some negative opinions expressed in or about my previous thread regarding the Pea, I'm requesting that this one be closed immediately. (I would become completely unglued to have something evil said right now.) No comments are necessary. This is just the most expedient way of notifying the many kind animal-loving people on ECCIE that have inquired about her status (and mine, realizing that my chihuahuas are an integral part of my life) over the last couple of months. Thank you.

For Sweet Pea:
Pea memorial.jpgPerky Pea cond.jpg

The Rainbow Bridge
Inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a woods, at the foot of a hill,
Is a lush, green meadow where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
When their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and the next,
Is a place where each beloved creature finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
Till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
For here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
Their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
Until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
Then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
The time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
Has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
And then, side-by-side, they cross over… together.

© 1998 Steve and Diane Bodofsky. All Rights Reserved.