I've wanted to visit St. Louis for a very long time. Now, if I do visit, I HAVE to see this!!! Just glorious!!!

i now have enough interest to cum..so yes museum is on my list...sounds cool
Having grown up in STL I have been to every attraction. All are very good but my favorite attraction is when DallasRain visits this lovely city!
awwwwww Lucky...you are too sweet....see ya in June babe!
awwwwww Lucky...you are too sweet....see ya in June babe! Originally Posted by DallasRain
You two need to get a room, ANYWHERE please. I'm just jealous that Lucky is living up to his handle!!
speaking of Saint Louis attractions what ever happened to the girls of Gladstones in Soulard ?
Cathedral Basilica in St. Louis.

http://cathedralstl.org/parish/online-tour/transept

Wow. I found this cathedral while doing some online reading and I'm just blown away by the absolute beauty and the magnificence of this church.

If I ever travel to Saint Louis, I would love to see this place.

Side note: I'm not Catholic but I have a respect for the religion. I was raised in a predominately Catholic neighborhood and so I'm used to the weddings and masses, etc. And I LOVE to look at historical cathedrals when able.

I don't believe that Dallas has anything this magnificent.

Best,
Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Not sure if you've every been to Spain, but there are some amazing Cathedrals there. What's very cool is that many of the priests there are very familiar with our Cathedral here in St. Louis.

When Pope John Paul was still alive, it was awesome to see him pass by in the Pope Mobile.
When Pope John Paul was still alive, it was awesome to see him pass by in the Pope Mobile. Originally Posted by Recapacitar
Dammit, I don't want to delurk this soon, but as a recovering Catholic such a statement presses my Berzerk Button.

I'm very proud to say that I've had the chance to see JPII twice in my life (once in Chicago while I was in graduate school, and once in St. Louis), and both times I found much better, more productive things to do. Like take a nap.

JPII, for the most part, was a triumph of public relations over actual accomplishment. If you want to admire a pope, go with the late, great John XXIII and his spiritual heir, the current Pope Francis. Both of them are much better exemplars of the good side of Catholicism than John Paul II, that sainted fraud, ever was.

Cheers,

bcg
Not sure if you've every been to Spain, but there are some amazing Cathedrals there. What's very cool is that many of the priests there are very familiar with our Cathedral here in St. Louis.

When Pope John Paul was still alive, it was awesome to see him pass by in the Pope Mobile. Originally Posted by Recapacitar
It's been 20 years but yes, I've been to Spain.

Although I'm not a Catholic, I was raised in a predominately Catholic neighborhood and once, I nearly married a Catholic and went through those classes. Anyway, too much information, I know.

But I'm trying to say that I just love looking at the Catholic cathedrals.

And I'm a HUGE fan of Pope Francis, although I do think that a lot of what is coming out of the Vatican is a bit of a spin story?

Hey ... I LOVE a thread drift. If someone wishes to segue on this topic, it doesn't bother me.

Let's talk of Popes!!!

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I appreciate them! I need to get myself to St. Louis!!!

Hugs,
Elisabeth
Dammit, I don't want to delurk this soon, but as a recovering Catholic such a statement presses my Berzerk Button.

I'm very proud to say that I've had the chance to see JPII twice in my life (once in Chicago while I was in graduate school, and once in St. Louis), and both times I found much better, more productive things to do. Like take a nap.

JPII, for the most part, was a triumph of public relations over actual accomplishment. If you want to admire a pope, go with the late, great John XXIII and his spiritual heir, the current Pope Francis. Both of them are much better exemplars of the good side of Catholicism than John Paul II, that sainted fraud, ever was.

Cheers,

bcg Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
Such a great post to read. And I agree with what you've written.
It's been 20 years but yes, I've been to Spain.

Although I'm not a Catholic, I was raised in a predominately Catholic neighborhood and once, I nearly married a Catholic and went through those classes. Anyway, too much information, I know.

But I'm trying to say that I just love looking at the Catholic cathedrals.

And I'm a HUGE fan of Pope Francis, although I do think that a lot of what is coming out of the Vatican is a bit of a spin story?

Hey ... I LOVE a thread drift. If someone wishes to segue on this topic, it doesn't bother me.

Let's talk of Popes!!!

Anyway, thanks for the comments. I appreciate them! I need to get myself to St. Louis!!!

Hugs,
Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
La Catedral de Sevilla is amazing! La torre de Giralda, I've walked up the stairwell to the top many times. The view of the city is just fantastic.
The walk going up is dreadful. lol I couldn't imagine doing that everyday.

There were indeed some great Popes...as with any leader. I guess I never really get into the politics of them, but I agree Pope John Paul II was a media favorite....great for public relations.

He just seemed like a really cool dude (like many great leaders) which sometimes is needed to expand the popularity of any organization. He was
indeed interesting.