A Ceiling Pulley?

I'm thinking of putting one up in my soon-to-be new place (more about that some other time!).

Has anyone put a pulley in their house, or garage, to use for playtime? If so, do you have any suggestions for me?

I think a pulley would be great to spankings and shibari, etc.
I'm thinking of putting one up in my soon-to-be new place (more about that some other time!).

Has anyone put a pulley in their house, or garage, to use for playtime? If so, do you have any suggestions for me?

I think a pulley would be great to spankings and shibari, etc. Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Make sure you have it in a very heavy beam, and the screw needs to thick & long (pun time)

I have one in my garage and it's in the middle of the support beam (attached garage w/bedroom over it). The eyebolt is about 4 inches & thick (double entendre).

Your biggest concern is where you want the pulley vs. where the best place is for the pulley. If your support beams aren't where you want the pulley, you'll have to try another way or rearrange your room setup.
Ditto papadee. Safety first. Heavy duty everything. Consider additional structural support. I've often wondered about those hunters hoists they have at Cabelas.
Most of the Cabela's hoists have weight and size as a factor in their design. They are made to be highly portable for a hunter in the field. I've purchased and used them. I would NOT use them in the circumstance you describe. Design is ok, just needs to be more heavy duty.
hm that sounds interesting!
I think a pulley would be great to spankings and shibari, etc. Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
I've hung a few. Papadee is correct. In a "sometimes cold" garage, I would think most anyone could figure it out. But, if it's an inside covered ceiling, the issue is what type of wood beam is up there. If just a 2x whatever, you have to hit it exactly dead center or... Also, if only a 2x8 ceiling joist(common apt construction) depending on how much weight, the wood will flex and the plaster board ceiling will start popping nails etc.

Others will suggest "A" frames or other frame support. Whatever. They're a pain to set up/hide etc. So a nice decorative long solid "decorative" ceiling beam has multiple benefits.

This is not something a rookie can handle. All the "how to" stuff is for decorative trim wood, not something to hold ... umm... skeletons for Halloween decorations. As mentioned above, it is a structural thing. If you don't have direct access to a heavy beam, not only are you asking for trouble, it will be served. If you're thinking about doing something in a finished rec. room or spare bedroom, think about hanging a very long 4x6 across the ceiling a bit over to one side. Use multiple anchors (to distribute the weight load) to secure that to the hidden ceiling joists above the ceiling (and the new wood has to run perpendicular to the ceiling joists so it can be bolted to multiple joists). The new wood beam is then simply perfect for hanging tract lighting (and associated power supply), hanging plants (on installed eyebolts), perhaps hanging those weird heavy hanging chairs that a couple folks can sit in (on even larger eyebolts), various athletic exercise equipment ( a couple 90 pound punching/kicking bags), Halloween skeletons, etc. And I assume everyone can figure out how many different things can attach to eyebolts. If your not comfortable explaining this to a carpenter, just use the hanging chairs/athletic equipment excuse
Maybe multiple pullys to reduce the amount of force to lift the weight. Basically, each added pully cuts the weight in half. If the link below fails, google multiple pully physsics.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mult...30%3B785%3B881
the force to lift the weight is reduced, the weight remains the same...
yea, if you are going to put any weight on it, it needs to go through the beam and have a bolt on the other side holding it in...
I love the thought of having a swing in the house BUT I know for a fact I would use it, all the time, regardless of the activity. It would become my new chair/reading place.
Motorized with an electronic lift is also an option.
I love the thought of having a swing in the house BUT I know for a fact I would use it, all the time, regardless of the activity. It would become my new chair/reading place. Originally Posted by Miss Barsett
Maybe you should have a hammock in your house! That might be a great place to read and hang out! Or ... heck yes, the chair.

Motorized with an electronic lift is also an option. Originally Posted by Zhivago52
That's what I have seen in other places. There is a control device, much like the clicker for a garage door, that will lower and raise the pulley as needed.

I thought that this would be perfect for men who wish to be tied, on their tiptoes and getting a spanking or a good flogging!

It's a dream. Not sure how feasible it is for me to do at this point but I like thinking about it.

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Hugs,
Elisabeth

EW,

I have experience making a pulley system for medical purposes.

It does sound challenging to have one hanging off the ceiling.

I would pay close attention to the recommended weight limit on the pulleys.

You can also double or triple the weight capacity by increasing the number of pulleys used.

However, as I said, it's a little structurally un-sound for a ceiling pulley set-up.

Especially if it needs to support human weight and accommodate movement, and we are drilling holes into the ceiling.....

Oh, it probably won't work out. Although I DO like the idea. A lot!

But it would be a huge headache, I'm sure. Plus, I frequently see larger men. And I'm a lot larger, too. So the pulley would have to be able to handle a lot of pounds.

Anyway, again it probably won't work. But I like to daydream!!!

Happy Monday afternoon!!!
Hi Elisabeth, hope your well, I put in a pulley in a room and it was re-inforced with an extra 4x6 inch 12 foot long beam in the attic....I agree with the others that safety is number one, This pulley and beam will handle ANYTHING and is lots of fun....Take care......