No Football Season Next Year? WTF?

In the Queen's football thread, she and some others mentioned there might not be a football season next year. I missed that. Can someone enlighten me?

The CBA is up after this season, if terms on a new CBA aren't agreed upon by a certain date (not sure if it's the first game of the season or some date before that), the owners will lockout the players.
I beleive it is March!!!! For the sake of everyone I hope they agree on something or Ill go postal lol
The CBA officially expires on March 1,2011. The last "event" under the current CBA is the 2011 player selection meeting (the Draft in April). The players' union is in the process of voting to decertify itself so that, if the owners do decide to have a lockout, the players can then sue the owners to allow them back in and play.

The real "drop dead" date is anytime between the opening of training camps and the fiirst game if the season. Otherwise, if the owners don't do a lockout or the players don't strike, they'll continue to operate under the terms of the current CBA until an agreement is reached. This is not unprecedented, they did this between 1988 and 1993.
Oh, geez, it's a union issue. Well, don't tell Galt and Catnip, they have enough in the other threads. Thanks for the info. I gotta get cable.
Oh, geez, it's a union issue. Well, don't tell Galt and Catnip, they have enough in the other threads. Thanks for the info. I gotta get cable. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Not really a union issue. In fact, the Players' Association was happy with the current CBA and wanted to keep it going as is. The owners decided in 2008 to exercise a clause in the CBA to allow them to cancel the current agreement and renegotiate. The major issue is the split of revenue - it is currently 53% - 47% to the players; the owners want to make it 53% - 47% to the owners - citing reduced revenues from ticket sales and increased expenses.

The players don't want to strike, so the owners will lock them out sometime upon the expiration of the CBA.
If there is no football next year it will be GW's and COG's fault. LOL
Off subject but queen your pic just got me a woody. If they do lockout just go to one of the board meetings and do that they will agree to what every you want queen.
If it was that easy cheaper I would have already done it lol

DD I agree with you I think it is COG's fault!!!
I'm not overly worried at this point. The NFL is the biggest golden goose in sports, and a lockout would alienate at least some portion of the fan base, driving down revenues for both players and owners. These guys aren't stupid, so they'll posture and spout rhetoric up to the last minute, then get a deal done before the start of the regular season. Brett Favre will insist it go on that long so he has an excuse to blow off training camp again .

Of course, if they don't get a deal done it will clearly be COG's fault.
Remember a few decades ago when they had the lockout, but continued the season with scabs?
Remember a few decades ago when they had the lockout, but continued the season with scabs? Originally Posted by BigMikeinKC
Some owners have been quoted as saying they learned their lesson from that one and won't repeat the mistake.