Somehow you have to try and make it possible for you to see Avatar at Quail Springs Mall OKC if you live in Oklahoma, as it is the only theater in the state (to my knowledge) to show it in IMAX 3D. You can see it in 3D others places, but the IMAX 3D is a must.

Not sure about Texas amd other states availability for IMAX, but it is worth the effort to find it in that forat if possible.

I am not going to tell you any specifics of the plot as I want that to unfold for you as you watch it.

But here are some general thoughts of mine:

First it is a MUST SEE movie, and like nothing you have ever experienced before.

A Professor at USC (my alma mater) even invented a whole new language just for this film for the natives so that every spoken word from one individual to another has the same sound and continuity.

When the language is spoken sub titles are used. This is not a distraction and there is not a lot of it as some of the natives have also learned some English.

You will be blown away by the world they have created for this movie. From every plant, leaf, drop of rain, or creature all so different all so wonderful like NOTHING you have ever seen.

Wait till you see the floating mountains.

Wait till you see how one can relate to these strange alien wonderful people.

They are called Na’vi

Now that Avatar has topped Titanic as the world's biggest-grossing movie, can we finally agree that James Cameron is the greatest director of all time? Remember he made Titanic too.

Now I am not prepared to say he is the greatest director ever as there have been many in the past, but he certainly is up there. It will be very hard for him to ever outdo this masterpiece in the future.

Yes there will be a sequel

As a side note “Gone with the wind” has had more ticket sales than any movie in history, but when it first came out (I believe 1939) ticket prices were a fraction of today’s prices

Yes, on Monday, Avatar eclipsed Titanic to become the worldwide highest-grossing movie ever. Per Fox, now stands at $1.859 billion, compared to Titanic's $1.843 billion.

It reminded me somewhat of the movie "Dances with wolfs" in its message.

Did you ever see that?

I have a great admiration for Native American Cultures. There is a strong parallel here and how they were in tune to nature.

Although this movie is entertainment on a par never reached before, it also contains strong messages on the environment and the real tragedies and horrors of war.

For any thinking person this will cause great thoughts about

environment issues, and in my mind that is one of the great positives about this film.

You are going to love how this is handled no matter what your views.

It is handled in a fantastic way.

The message here one can, and should, live in harmony with nature.

This is not giving anything important away, but the movie is more or less about 150 years in the future. The earth’s environment has been severely damaged.

It deals with how an evil corporation deals with this with their mercenary army of ex military people. The commanding Coronel of this mercenary army is the true villain of this movie.

There are heroes as well as you will see.

I expect this movie will evoke much talk with your friends once you have seen it.

Enjoy you will NOT be disappointed.
  • WTF
  • 01-28-2010, 06:19 AM

They are called Na’vi

Originally Posted by niceguy
Nineveh is their leader.

Originally Posted by niceguy
I can't wait!
I saw it in Houston in 3D Imax. It was an experience. The attention to detail was great. The acting and story was so-so. But, beautiful - YES!
  • Carl
  • 01-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Maybe I'm jaded or overly difficult to impress when it comes to movies, but I found Avatar to be so-so. It is far from unwatchable, but after the special effects adrenaline wears off it's a pretty simplistic story with average acting and writing. The major plot points are predictable. No surprises. An eye-candy CGI blockbuster sci-fi action film.
That's Cameron's trademark though, simple story and high impact style and delivery. He's definitely not known for intelligent or compelling storylines. It was ages before I could watch Titanic because I'm not into special effects and I really dislike CGI..it's really over-used. That's probably why I wasn't impressed with teh Lovely Bones either. Avatar just doesn't appeal to me at all and I probably won't go and see it.

C
  • WTF
  • 01-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Camille, I saw it just to see it. I was late to arrive and left early (if that'll tell ya anything about the script) but the special effects were worth the price of admission. I did see it in IMAX 3D.

Plus, Nineveh from Na’vi is their leader.

I would like to be the fly on the wall were you two ever able to get together for drinks!!!! I'll take care of the tab and never utter a word.
Will you still buy the drinks if I watch it at home?
I can't see me traisping around to find an Imax to watch it.
If Nin swings by I'm sure we could get through a commendable amount of champagne for you

C x
  • Carl
  • 01-28-2010, 09:57 AM
That's Cameron's trademark though, simple story and high impact style and delivery. He's definitely not known for intelligent or compelling storylines. It was ages before I could watch Titanic because I'm not into special effects and I really dislike CGI..it's really over-used. That's probably why I wasn't impressed with teh Lovely Bones either. Avatar just doesn't appeal to me at all and I probably won't go and see it.

C Originally Posted by Camille
The Cameron movies I've liked are when he just abandons any sense of a deeper "message" or a pretty story and just gives in to being an action hero director, like the first two Terminator movies, Aliens, and True Lies; Let's just blow some shit up and have fun doing it. Even Rambo: First Blood Part II got stupidly jingo-istically preachy about the American loss in Vietnam and the 'merican soldiers not being allowed to win by the politicians, though he didn't direct it, just wrote it. He does a good job with mindless fun. When he tries to to be mindful in some way, to me, he misses the mark.
That's Cameron's trademark though, simple story and high impact style and delivery. He's definitely not known for intelligent or compelling storylines. Originally Posted by Camille
Funny... I'll pass that on the next time I see him.... just kidding!
C x Originally Posted by Camille
You CAN'T watch it at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you can't catch it in 3D, don't bother. The whole point is the mind boggling feeling of being there. You feel you ARE actually on this other world.
Camille, I saw it just to see it. I was late to arrive and left early (if that'll tell ya anything about the script) but the special effects were worth the price of admission. I did see it in IMAX 3D.

Plus, Nineveh from Na’vi is their leader.

I would like to be the fly on the wall were you two ever able to get together for drinks!!!! I'll take care of the tab and never utter a word. Originally Posted by WTF
I can't see me traisping around to find an Imax to watch it.
If Nin swings by I'm sure we could get through a commendable amount of champagne for you

C x Originally Posted by Camille
You two kill me, in the best way. There needs to be an eClicquot smilie.

Now I shall have to see it, so I know what these alien creatures are about. Preferably with ample clicquot and good company. And WTF.
  • Thais
  • 01-28-2010, 11:36 PM
I agree with all the criticisms of Avatar.

However, that didn't stop it from taking my breath away, and leaving me in a state of intense longing for the next couple of days to see that world again.

It felt like it borrowed my most favourite books, ideas, dreams, concepts that formed the cornerstone of my personality - and put them together in a way that punched me in the gut. In other words, I had two reactions to it: an "okay" intellectual one - and one that was guttural, emotional and absolutely raw.

I cried almost non-stop through the while movie, from the opening sequence of flying over a green forest to the final titles. I was shaking leaving the theatre. And yet, yep - a bland story done many times before, predictable, no new ideas, could have been more complex, bla-bla-bla. Agreed.
  • WTF
  • 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM

Now I shall have to see it, so I know what these alien creatures are about. Preferably with ample clicquot and good company. And WTF. Originally Posted by Nineveh

The VERY best part was when I came back from the RR and glimpsed all the moviegoers with those silly 3-D glasses on. Looking up at that sight it was surreal, a light hazy blue IMAX theater crammed full of people with silly glasses on! It looked like a photo from the forties of people watching the atomic test bomb. I almost felt sorry for them. If I could have gotten a picture of that, I would use it as my AVATAR.

As an aside, I was trying to get my date to tromp down to the bottom of the theater and see what I was laughing at, getting Shhhhhhhhhhhed the whole time I might add by a rabid viewers, only to have her offer me a hummer if I would just hush. I asked her if she thought our movie mates would see us in 3D? She laughed, I Shhhhhhhhhed her and my day was complete.

Personally I think PJ would love it!
I myself enjoyed the Avatar movie. It was truly breathe taking. It was giving us a glimpse of Science fiction and the human imagination @ it's best. Only thing Idk if the DVD will come w/ 3D glasses lol
  • WTF
  • 01-29-2010, 06:57 AM
. Only thing Idk if the DVD will come w/ 3D glasses lol Originally Posted by Taylorsweet
I have and extra pair just for you Ms Sweet. You're welcome over anytime!