Russian Guided Missile Cruiser Moskva “Sleeps With The Fishes”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...issile-ukraine

“The Pride Of The Black Sea Fleet” is now a future man made coral reef.

The Russians say the damage was done by a accidental fire that ignited munitions and it sunk as they tried to tow it to Sevastopol.

So we are to believe some sailor had a little too much vodka and tossed a cigarette in the wrong place.

Or perhaps a couple of Neptune Missiles hit it right in the sweet spot and broke it’s back.

We all know that the mighty Russian Navy would never let that happen.

Just like the nightly Russian Army would never let a shit load of Tanks and other armored vehicles get blown up by a bunch of amateurs who should not be fighting against their “superior foe” in the first place.
I was on the pier when the USS Iowa sailed in under its own power after a turret explosion. It's called damage control and naval engineering.
I was on the pier when the USS Iowa sailed in under its own power after a turret explosion. It's called damage control and naval engineering. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Of course, the Iowa is a Battleship. The turrets and barbetts formed an armored citadel to not only keep heavy shells out but to contain any internal malady that could reach the powder magazines.
Has anybody reported hearing an initial explosion that might be from the Neptune missiles or an even bigger explosion if fire had hit the armaments.

Either there is a lot lacking in this story or I just haven't heard it yet. Is it possible to not know for a fact how this monster of a ship, sank? No film from the air?

No satellite photos of the flagship of the Russian Navy when this happened or we just don't want to share satellite photos.

A film of that bad boy sinking would be priceless!
according to one source, after an explosion caused by said fire as the russians claimed. the stricken moskva was towed to stevastopol, however, the ship rolled on its side. it later sank.

I'd think those UKR missiles did some key damage to that ship than by supposed "accidental" fire by incompetent russians.

the quality of the ship build may be a factor, afterall it is a soviet built ship.

regardless of how, this is a bad look for the russian navy.
I have been impressed with the Ukraine's ability to target these ships at dock and underway.

I have been a little disappointed that they haven't thought to or been able to place sea mines out there.

I know that it is crucial to use anti-tank weapons against Russian tanks, but:

I would think that a few of the Switchblade anti-tank drones could be taken to sea on a fishing boat or even a Zodiac. These drones have a range of 4 to 5 miles, I think. Putting one right into the wheelhouse of a ship or into one of the missiles cannisters would bring some serious hurt. Done right, they might never see it coming . . .or the little boat it came from.
The USS Stark, the USS Samuel Roberts, and the USS Cole all survived the attacks on them. Much smaller ships with much smaller crews. All were probably at condition 3 watches but they survived and the Moskow didn't.
It's a story as old as the Ark. Damage Control response is what determines the fates of most warships. I had a good friend and wrestling team mate die on the Stark. The first time I lost schoolmates to military conflict... not the last sadly.

I've read that damage control or lack of emphasis on it in the IJN is what put their carriers on the bottom at Midway.
Wouldn't you just love to have been a fly on the wall when some ( whoever drew the shortest straw ) went in and told Putin that the pride of his Navy is at the bottom of the sea. Another priceless moment.
It's a story as old as the Ark. Damage Control response is what determines the fates of most warships. I had a good friend and wrestling team mate die on the Stark. The first time I lost schoolmates to military conflict... not the last sadly.

I've read that damage control or lack of emphasis on it in the IJN is what put their carriers on the bottom at Midway. Originally Posted by texassapper

that played a large role as the US used fire suppressing foam to fight fires and the IJN relied only on seawater. in fact at one early point in the battle one US carrier was able to recover from what the Japanese thought was a fatal fire and when Japanese planes returned later they thought it was a different carrier. they falsely reported it as a fourth US carrier.

Japanese anti-aircraft guns and fire control systems had poor design and configuration. they had to reply too heavily on fighter cover to protect their carriers. US carriers had better anti-aircraft systems and they improved as WWII went on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...e_shortcomings

the anti ship missile used to sink that Russkie cruiser was Ukrainian made. the defensive systems of the Moskva are triple tiered but weren't able to stop the missile strikes. two missiles were launched and reports claim both hit the Moskva.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...Moskva#Sinking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-360_Neptune
the anti ship missile used to sink that Russkie cruiser was Ukrainian made. the defensive systems of the Moskva are triple tiered but weren't able to stop the missile strikes. two missiles were launched and reports claim both hit the Moskva.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia...Moskva#Sinking

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-360_Neptune Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
nice missile. indigenous design based on a Soviet (1983)/Russian Federation (2003) missile.

it resembles the Harpoon.

I've read that damage control or lack of emphasis on it in the IJN is what put their carriers on the bottom at Midway. Originally Posted by texassapper
The Japanese found out that Aviation Gasoline burns beautifully.
Wouldn't you just love to have been a fly on the wall when some ( whoever drew the shortest straw ) went in and told Putin that the pride of his Navy is at the bottom of the sea. Another priceless moment. Originally Posted by HedonistForever
The survivors will probably have a new zip code…….”Gulag, North East Siberia”
The other part of this that I read was that the Moskov was making a routine patrol pattern... so Ukraine knew exactly where the ship would be at a given point in time...

stupid stupid stupid.

First rule of a patrol is random movement... probably goes as well for naval patrols as foot patrols.
The Russian navy isn't the only one with potential vulnerabilities :

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sinking-r...163928574.html