Crowds packed California beaches despite shelter in place order By Hollie Silverman, CNN 8 hrs ago

• oeb11
  • 03-23-2020, 09:35 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cr...SQr?li=BBnb7Kz

Crowds descended on California beaches, hiking trails and parks over the weekend in open defiance of a state order to shelter in place and avoid close contact with others.California Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a shelter in place order directing the state's nearly 40 million residents to stay home beginning March 20 to help stop the spread of coronavirus.

Instead, many public spaces were packed, prompting officials in some cities to order parks, recreation areas and beaches to close.
'People packing beaches'

Video and photos on social media showed groups of people standing in close contact of one another at popular hiking trails and beaches in Los Angeles over the weekend. Health officials urge people to maintain a distance of 6 feet from one another to prevent transmission of the highly contagious virus.

In response to the crowds, Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti announced on Twitter late Sunday that he was closing sports and recreation at all LA City Parks. He also tweeted that parking at city beaches was closed.
"This weekend we saw too many people packing beaches, trails and parks," the Mayor tweeted. He said people should heed the closures and stay home. "That doesn't mean gather elsewhere. This is serious. Stay home and save lives."
Garcetti told CNN affiliate KTLA that he was working with officials in neighboring cities and the county to address large crowds at beaches.

People flocked to California beaches just one day after Gov. Gavin Newsom issued a stay at home order for the state's 40 million residents due to coronavirus.

Meanwhile, the city of Santa Monica closed its beach parking Sunday to deter people from flocking to the beach. Nearby, the city of Malibu issued additional guidance urging residents to maintain a safe distance if they were heading outside for a hike or to go to the beach. City-owned parks and trails also were closed to the public.
Further south, the city of Long Beach closed many of its recreation facilities. On Sunday night, Long Beach Mayor Robert Garcia said in a tweet that the city had closed skate parks, dog parks, playgrounds, picnic areas as well as volleyball, tennis and basketball courts.
The city is trying to discourage people from playing team sports and encourage them to maintain a social distance of 6 feet when utilizing city facilities.
Garcia tweeted that the city is also looking to establish additional guidance for the use of its beaches.
He said the onus is on residents to comply with the rules as public safety teams may not be able to enforce the orders.

"More signs are going up at beaches and courts, and we will look to enforce more -- but our public safety teams are incredibly busy," Garcia tweeted. "We need the public to take self responsibility and remember that our doctors, nurses and medical personnel are counting on us."
California wasn't the only place where people ignored orders to stay home and maintain social distance.
Beaches closed and boating banned in Florida

This weekend several videos showed large groups of people partying on boats and tying their water crafts together in the Biscayne Bay of Miami and outside Boca Raton.

The city of Boca Raton tweeted images of crowded boat parties and discouraged residents from gathering on the water.
Miami-Dade County Mayor Carlos Gimenez closed marinas and boat ramps in the county Sunday to prevent people from going out to sea to hang out.
"I am disappointed to see photos and videos on social media of boats close together and large groups of people congregating," Gimenez said in a news release Sunday. "We are in a state of emergency, and I cannot stress enough the need for personal responsibility."
News to stay informed. Advice to stay safe.
Click here for complete coronavirus coverage from Microsoft News

On Friday, several beaches in the state closed to the public and hotels in Miami-Dade County were ordered to vacate by Monday night.

The mayor said the Miami-Dade Police Department will be out on the water "ramping up enforcement" of the no rafting order issued by the mayor on Friday to prevent large gatherings and parties on boats.
Park closures around the country

Parks from coast to coast were closed by local authorities over the weekend in an effort to stem the spread of coronavirus.

Oregon State Parks announced on Facebook Sunday that all state parks would be closed until at least May 8.
The National Park Service has closed some locations and is keeping others open when possible, according to its website. The Park Service also waived entrance fees to help visitors maintain social distance.
In New York City, the Prospect Park Zoo and Tennis Center were closed and team sports were banned.
Parks in Fairfax County, Virginia, were also closed a news release from the county said Friday.

Trump activates the National guard for kalifornia - and the response of the populace is this.
At least One poster advocated - "let the Wuhan virus run through the population" - and liberal states are doing their best to do exactly That!!!

Exercise in futility.
I think beaches should be limited to extremely pretty girls wearing thongs - for the good of the public!
  • oeb11
  • 03-23-2020, 09:47 AM
in better times - Agreed.
Not in the current Moment!
The same is true on Florida beaches. You do know that people in their late teens and early 20s are immune from the coronavirus.
So these youngsters think it's a hoax. Got it.
  • oeb11
  • 03-23-2020, 10:41 AM
The same is true on Florida beaches. You do know that people in their late teens and early 20s are immune from the coronavirus. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX

NO - that is incorrect, SR!!!! That kind of fallacious mis-information helps further the conduct that causes spread of the Wuhan virus.

There is no evidence that young adults are "immune" to the virus.

There has been some thought that children - and perhaps parents of young children- who are subject to 5-6 bouts of viral colds (often a coronavirus variant strain) may have some degree of antibodies and cross-resistance to the Wuhan coronavirus strain.

It is speculation - and no evidence to that effect.

If you have a medical study proving your point - SR - Please produce it. I would like to read it.

Meanwhile - if One wishes to make medical pronouncements - Be Sure you have FACTS and published medical opinion to validate the pronouncement.

Now - if One is being sardonic - it is still disseminating mis-information - not a good thing considering the current national circumstances.

I would note that Trump has been public with daily press conferences - with recognized experts in the area - and at lest 55% of Americans agree with his response to the issues related to the Wuhan virus.

Even Cuomo is trying to emulate Trump - who just activated the national Guard for Cuomo and the state of NY. Cuomo is holding daily press conferences of his own. And - my speculation is - he sees Biden's weakness - and hopes to take the DPST nomination for himself.

Please note - carefully qualified as "my speculation"!
The conservativetreehouse has an article on the Cuomo/JoeMentia oust right now OEB. It's not just you.
The media perpetuated the idea that young people wouldn't be affected by coronavirus

they literally said over and over again you don't really have to worry about it for yourself just make sure you're around people who you can't pass it to because you could be a carrier. when you say things like that you got to kind of expect a certain response..

that is going to make young adults say "Well if I'm not around older sick people I guess I'm fine to do whatever I want"

media's fault

so they should not be surprised when they see crowds of them out at bars and other places having fun

instead of them trying to be so fast on getting the first news story out they need to make sure they're giving out the correct information whatever the hell that even means right now who knows
NO - that is incorrect, SR!!!! That kind of fallacious mis-information helps further the conduct that causes spread of the Wuhan virus.

There is no evidence that young adults are "immune" to the virus.

! Originally Posted by oeb11
I WAS KIDDING. SARCASM!!

I thought the grinning icon would show my intent.
hell all of this is the mediass fault
they will say one thing and then 5 minutes a whole nother thing I literally don't even know what the hell to believe right now
they will say one thing and then 5 minutes a whole nother thing I literally don't even know what the hell to believe right now Originally Posted by Sienna91
Don't worry about what to believe - we have several posters on her who will be happy to educate you!

Let me start: Yssup Rider is an idiot!
So these youngsters think it's a hoax. Got it. Originally Posted by gnadfly
There is also the false discussion by many that blacks have some sort of added immunity to Wuhan Virus.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...t-coronavirus/

It's interesting after all the blustering that Republicans aren't taking this seriously, it's two of the largest blocks(Blacks and those 18-25 or so) of Democrats that are potentially speeding the spread due to not taking it seriously.

You have NY, CA, and WA all with the largest outbreaks and what are they bastions of. Yeah, you guessed it Liberalism/Progressivism.
I bet none of them get sick either. The worse that can happen is a jellyfish sting.
  • oeb11
  • 03-23-2020, 05:38 PM
EL- Thank you, sir

I had not heard that rumor - that black people have"added immunity" - Which is completely UNTRUE!

Politifact got it correct.
they will say one thing and then 5 minutes a whole nother thing I literally don't even know what the hell to believe right now Originally Posted by Sienna91
All you have to do is clear your mind and turn them off.