A Quickie About Agencies

I'm new to this city, but not to this industry. I've been debating hooking up with an agency until I learn good and bad parts of town, which indivuals to avoid, and all those other little quirky things that veterans to Austin may take for granted.

So I'm going to break this down into 3 parts;

PROVIDERS-Do you have any expierence with the agencies? Any opinions on joining an agency vs staying indy? Horror stories? Success stories? If you don't want to post in here, I totally understand, you can e-mail me.

TO THE GUYS-What makes you use an agency over an indy girl? Is there an agency that you love? Or one that you consistentely have problems with? Same thing, you can always e-mail me if you don't want to publically post.

AGENCIES-Are you worth leaving indlyland for? Why? How selective are you? What parts of town do you cater to, or more importantly, where will you NOT cater to? How do you run business-from the first time I talk with you until I'm finished with an appointment? (and are you looking for a goofy blonde from South Florida? HA HA KIDDING!!!)

Thanks SO much for your help, everyone!!
Welcome to Austin Maggie!

TO THE GUYS-What makes you use an agency over an indy girl? Originally Posted by MaggieSinead
I recently had my first agency experience in 3ys. In the past I've had a Indy Only policy, but after some thought I think the agencies my be the way I pursue the Hobby in 2010'...

A few benefits that I observed

1. Short Notice - I was able to have a date @ my hotel in a few hours without pre-booking

2. Better TCB - Scheduling was handled by a third party

3. Accountability - I had good communication with the Manager, he wanted to make sure that I received a good experience for my $$$..

From my new perspective, agencies are a great thing! It's as if I have a "Sub Contractor" who is doing all the hard work by wrangling up the new talent, supplying the Incall, and showing them what service level is expected by prospective clients...

..and they will do all of this for the Competitive Price of $50 per session.. This is a Sweet Deal IMO!

In the end I can pay an Indy in Austin $250, or I can pay an Agency $200 Girl/$50 Manager and get the above mentioned benefits... It's kind of a No Brainer...

Is there an agency that you love? Originally Posted by MaggieSinead
I've heard really good things about Max @ AustinWildFlowers

Good Luck Maggie, I hope you find what you're looking for...
Elephant,

I'm genuinely disappointed you are no longer ambitious.

Sorry for the hijack.

Back to topic:

I started at an agency in Houston and it was great for learning the ins and outs (no pun intended!) of the hobby. However, once you feel you have acquired enough knowledge, I think its beneficial to move on and become and independent. I had a great and caring mentor at my Houston agency and I am very happy to say she and I are still great friends.
Yes, back to topic. A provider asking for an informed opinion from those that have one. I started about 3 years ago for an agency. A very low-key cool chic named Neko. She's still around and will hire you without an "interview" so long as you're cute and personable! The rest of my personal experiences with "agency" owners here can best be described as either scary, laughable, and just tragic. I will wholly agree with E about the management aspect, but as an indy you can hire your own personal booker/screener/assistant at no great cost and still have the same excellent TCB.
To sum up my own opinion, I'd have to vote for indy in the current Austin climate. If you end up being very high volume, either hire someone to help you or simply learn to pre-book and be master of your own er..domain! ~K
Thanks for the advice, ladies.
Miss Karma, I think I like you.

And, there's no way to type this without sounding snooty, and thats not what I mean in any capacity, but Elephant, what GOOD have your heard about that agency? I've been looking, and all the reviews I can get my hands on are bad to alright. Nothing too exciting. And based on the PRIVATE messgaes I've gotten... 'Max' (I'm assuming thats a fake name) might not be the best individual to be assoicated with, or work for. So, am I crazy?
Preface: I haven't worked lately, but I have a bit of experience both as an indie and an agency gal. I also didn't work a whole whole lot...so I might not be the best person to listen to, but here goes.

I did the indie thing in Austin for about fifteen months and I liked it, but what ultimately pushed me away was the feeling that I always had to be "Jenn." Being tied to my phone and email, always worried that I'd miss an opportunity for an appointment, and often times when I'd take a break, I would definitely feel guilty because I would inevitably miss several opportunities. Beyond wanting to be there for the boys, I also felt like I needed to check for provider references and get back in a timely manner (b/c I know those guys are always in a hurry!). The emailing and screening and flirting and chatting took a lot of energy for me and it ultimately left me feeling very drained. The being drained led me to care less and be sloppier about my TCB, which led to less business, which led to more stress, which led to being drained even further. (Hindsight is awesome!)

When I moved to a far-away big city, I ended up joining an agency because I wanted to try something new, and I lasted for half a year or so. I found an established woman-run agency that allowed me to work a set schedule, set days, and I just showed up and did the part that I really really liked. On slow days I'd sit in a hotel room and nap or read or watch tv and on a busy day I'd have nine clients coming through on a twelve hour shift. Phew. I got nervous having a more public job and not being able to screen for myself and I was ultimately spooked away from that gig because I was afraid I'd bump into someone from the real world. Also, I actually liked some of the guys and the agency made me feel too cold and distant when I wanted to be more honest and open. Nothing big, just a drink after my shift or an extended session...all things that would have gotten me into trouble with boss lady.

I made the same amount of money while indie as I did in an agency, but the agency came with a lot less desk work and a lot more looking pretty. I also felt sad handing a giant chunk of cash over at the end of every night.

If you go indy:
I would suggest drawing very clear lines for yourself and communicating those to clients so you make sure to always prioritize yourself and your own health. If you want to be successful, treat being a provider like a day job and make sure to be on top of emails and communications and you will succeed.

If you go with an agency:
Make sure to select a reputable agency. Do you homework. Don't just jump at the first offer, but interview with a few agency owners and see the different types of opportunities that are available. Ask some women for their input, but take everyone's opinion of others with a grain of salt. Take a look at the types of women working at different places and some will jump out at you more than others as a place where you might fit in.

Some questions to ask:
What will your cut be? What is the average business that their ladies pull in? Will you have to provide your own incall? Will you have contact/support through the other ladies of the agency? How does the agency screen? How does the agency advertise? Can you maintain contact with clients outside of work? Is your schedule the same from week to week or are you more just "on call?"

Good luck!
I agree with most everything Jennslolli and Karma had to say. I just wanted to add a few things. I was lucky to work for a female agency owner who was pretty decent and took a reasonable cut. Being worried that I might run into someone I know, because I couldn't screen them before hand led me to go Indie. I also wanted more control over my images and where I was advertised. I guess I am a little bit of a control freak, lol! I didn't work for an agency long enough when I became Indy to really know what the hell I was doing at first. Being indy can be really costly, too. Paying for an in call, photo shoots, gas, outfits, toys, the constant manicures and pedicures, necessities, etc. The only thing that drives me crazy about being Indy is the feeling of being glued to a computer. I can't wait to get a smart phone, so I can check everything on the go! I think agency is the way to go for someone just starting out who doesn't want all the expenses or man hours at the computer. Indy if you screen responsibly and want to be totally in charge.
Again ladies, thanks! Like I said, I've been in this industry for a bit, an I know that indy status varies by city. The city I previously worked in was one where it ONLY made sense to be indy, as all the agencies were known cons and robbers.
I've also been in cities where indy gals were frowned upon, and it was assumed they weren't part of an agency solely because they were too (performance) bad, dishonest, unattracitve, or some other frowned upon facotrs.
I was just looking to see how the Austin marke measured up.

Personally, I do this because I LOVE the entirely of GFE. But I know there are citeis that are stacked with girls who do this solely for the cash.
I was just getting a feel for the place. Thanks for the advice thus far! Keep it commin!
Ironically, all of the indy girls say you should go indy. As a fairly busy client I can tell you that, other than one independent in Austin, I stick with agencies. I'm probably having, on average, 2 appointments each week. I've tried to see numerous local independents and the TCB skills are simply terrible. Unreturned calls, e-mails, texts, etc. along with cancellations (admittedly I had to make a cancellation as well) seem to be the norm for the local independents.

My experiences with the agencies are that I can make a call, know whom will be available on short notice or schedule whomever I would like with a little more notice if they aren't available. I know what to expect and, if there were to be complications, I would have someone to go back to and address the issue.

If you are looking into local agencies, I would recommend that you look at Lone Star Elite. They are extremely selective and I have only good things to say about them.
  • SRPHR
  • 01-19-2010, 10:18 PM
Both methods serve a purpose. Some do it well and others...well they don't. As a Hobbiest I have gravitated towards Indy Gals for a few reasons. #1 It feels a bit more one to one intimate. Less middle management, simpler. It's your business. I think these days a smart phone is essential for quick communication and organization. Personally I like the iPhone, but I think they all work fine. Quick contact and communication are the key. Not during a session of course...big peeve! I think if you can make a go of it on your own... go for it! Bottom line you want to be successful, have fun, provide stellar service....build it and they will Come! bet Kevin Costner Didn't quite have that happy ending in mind....
Maggie,

You learn fast, Max is not someone to be associated
with.

Rocker
  • PeAcH
  • 01-20-2010, 04:40 PM
I think both sides have their pro's and their con's.

I've been with an agency, and didn't work out in the end for me, and decided to go independent, and I love it. Some girls have the exact opposite experience; went independent and then turned around and loved being with an agency instead.

I have been in contact with many Agencies, asking for screening information, or anything relevant; I could go on and on.. and I have been in contact with several Providers, and have been nothing but pleasant and polite with me, same story, but on opposite sides of the grass.

Of course there are some Agencies that you should stay away from, and I'm sure some shady providers out there as well. But..

There are great independent gals and great Agencies.

Gotta find your flavor.
Just gotta pick 'em right, like with any other important decisions.

Savor the flavor my friend!
so which Austin agency would everyone recommendation ? I travel here once or twice a month from Dallas but the scene here is quite different.
Do some research and get some references, preferrally a women owned agency. I typically don't mess with them because I want to correspond and get to know the providers. Some guys set up shop by running an ad on 'CL adult services wanted' with great promises only after he has tried them all out. I'm surprised by the number og women who fall for this. So he takes your calls... get an answering service or extra phone number.
Do some research and get some references, preferrally a women owned agency. I typically don't mess with them because I want to correspond and get to know the providers. Some guys set up shop by running an ad on 'CL adult services wanted' with great promises only after he has tried them all out. I'm surprised by the number of women who fall for this. So he takes your calls... get an answering service or extra phone number.