Computer problems

I am having trouble with my laptop I am getting pop ups like crazy and extra tabs. A two yr old got ahold of my laptop ever since then bam it has been acting up. Anyone know of a free virus scan. Something to fix this please thanks
  • ktiix
  • 09-06-2014, 05:03 AM
I am having trouble with my laptop I am getting pop ups like crazy and extra tabs. A two yr old got ahold of my laptop ever since then bam it has been acting up. Anyone know of a free virus scan. Something to fix this please thanks Originally Posted by Jennatx
There are several you can download for free. The two I suggest are Malwarebytes, and AVG. I can walk you through cleaning your pc out if you like. Chances are you have a good bit of adware
Spyhunter
Malwarebytes is outstanding. www.malwarebites.org Down load the free version. You may need to use safe mode with networking as some spyware/viruses will block the site. Also a good idea to run it in safe mode as well
  • Mokoa
  • 09-06-2014, 01:10 PM
The following are all good free tools for keeping the computer clean and free of malicious code as well as other nasty stuff.

CCleaner

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Revo Uninstaller

Avast! Antivirus

Zone Alarm Firewall

These are what I have been using for years. With these tools I have never had any malicious code cripple or otherwise have any effect on my Windows system. Also, the database updates for Avast! and Malwarebytes are free as well.
  • ktiix
  • 09-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Before you start, download the following programs onto a flash drive. I don't know the rules about posting links so I won't do it.

Malwarebytes
Crapcleaner

AVG Antivirus (You can use your antivirus of choice, it doesn't matter, but this is the one I would download as I've used it for years. There are other good choices)

Step 1: Safe Mode

A. Restart your pc, As it is booting up tap f8 repeteadly. It'll bring up the boot menu, from the boot menu you can select to start in Safemode with networking

Step 2: Delete Temporary Files

A. Run Crap Cleaner [Ccleaner]

B. Run Disk Cleanup To find it: Open your Control Panel, type Admin in the Search box, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Disk Cleanup. Select your hard drive from the list available, and clean it up.

C. Run Registry Cleaner (This is on Crap Cleaner as well.) This will get rid of registry errors that are already present, and ones that are caused by running the two cleaners. Make a back up of your registry and put the file on the flash drive It will prompt you to do this after running registry cleaner.

Step 3: Install and Run your Scanners

A. Install Malwarebytes and your Antivirus, connect to the internet long enough to update them both. Then disconnect from the internet.

B. Run Malwarebytes first. Let it find and Quarintine whatever it can.

C. Run your Antivirus second. Let it find and Quarintine whatever it can.

D. Run CCleaner again. (Registry Cleaner as well).

Step 4: Make sure your browsers are not set to redirect

A. Keep your internet disconnected, then open your browser of choice. [If you are using internet explorer, I suggest using FireFox, Google Chrome, or Opera instead.]

B. Open your internet settings, and find your home page. Make sure it is set to the homepage of your choice, and not a homepage you do not recognize.

Step 5: Finishing Up

A. Your PC should be clean now, shut it down and then start it up normally. Once it has started up, you should run your scanners one more time to help make sure you have gotten rid of the bug/s.

B. Periodically you should run your scanners (Malwarebytes and AntiVirus). You should also periodically run CCleaner.
I'm a big fan of "herdProtect". I have a pretty powerful PC at home that's completely isolated on it's own ISP, for a very specific purpose, and it's completely segregated (network wise) from my other PC's, because the nature of it's activity gets tons of spyware, malware, and viruses on it, I mean tons on a monthly basis. I've used many of the products mentioned above on it, and even other ones, and was in the past using about 20-30 different products on it monthly. Many big name products wouldn't find malware on it, while others would, but practically no product consistently found most of them, and I was spending a huge amount of time running all those different programs on it each month, until "herdProtect".

herdProtect supposedly uses 68 different malware engines, most of the major ones, it's very powerful, to the point of being dangerous (false positives), but has many times found malware on it individual big name products miss by themself. It's probably best used by those who really know what they are doing, and who try numerous other mainstream solutions first, because there is the potential of false positives. Allowing an unsure removal of something can mess you up as bad as leaving that stuff on there, such as....worse system performance, lock-ups, program errors, programs opening slow, programs not starting, system reboots, no boot, and BSOD's. However, if you know what you're doing, and what to look for, regarding identifying a "false positive", you should be safe. If you really study the settings in herdProtect, and spend time learning the product, it's not that hard to figure out what's likely a false positive. I've had it take that PC from totally screwed-up, back to fine, more times than any handful of well-known solutions.

Below are some links along with a couple of basic tutorials, but delve in deep and really learn it, before using it, so you understand how to identify what may be "false positives". I would only recommend it to someone as a last resort, who after using maybe 5-30 other common products, still has a screwed-up computer.

As most tutorials for these kind of products state, absolutely create a "system restore point", and/or registry backup, before using it.

http://www.herdprotect.com/
http://www.herdprotect.com/engines.aspx
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...detection.html
http://www.itpair.com/herdprotect-anti-malware-scanner/

Something else you can do if you don't want to mess with "herdProtect", or your PC is so hosed a mainstream program or two isn't helping, go to a site like www.bleepingcomputer.com or something similar, where the community freely assists in malware removal. Become a member, post in their forum that you need help, an established or senior member will usually come along to assist you, and tell you how to run software and post log files of the results. After you post your log files and they study them, they'll often tell you what needs to be done.
Spybot is another good program and he has made VAST improvements on it so its even more effective

course I run Linux when I visit adult sites so I am safe
Avast! Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware should fix it up or you could due a system restore to point where you were not having problems worst case if you have your windows 7, or and windows 8 disk just format and reinstall your os just back up in data or pics video music you may have.
Thank you Guys I fixed my laptop and it is running back to normal I was able to clean up all the bugs without having to loose pictures and such. Now I know better to leave my laptop near a 2 yr old next time. lol
Thanks again ladies go over this thread and follow what some of these guys suggested if
you are having the same or similar issues