Hobby phone

How do I get my hands on a hobby phone? Or a burner? Something not tied to me personally.....
Walmart. Tracphone. Use cash to buy it. Never use personal phone.
Search the board. Hundreds of hobby phone threads.
Sometimes CVS, Family Dollar and Rite Aid sell burner phones. Buy them with either a prepaid gift card with fake info or cash.
I have a tracfone. I set it up on a library computer, used a fake name and a fake address and when setting up the VM I used a public phone. I picked an address out of my area code, so the area code on my phone is different than the one where I live. I paid cash for it and pay cash for the minutes cards, and I rotate where I buy the minutes reload cards.
  • Bluee
  • 02-10-2015, 08:13 PM
An alternative to a burner phone is to set up Google voice and use the browser to access it through an incognito window and an annonymizer.

This way you don't have to carry multiple phones, and when you close the incognito browser tab, there is no history.
I stopped using Google Voice because GV isn't truly private. Many providers won't book with guys that don't have secure cell numbers. A free Google search and there are sites that can tell if a number is either GV, Skype or MagicJack. I've used voicemail only numbers with great success. I really miss the old AIM Phoneline and Brring.
I have a tracfone. I set it up on a library computer, used a fake name and a fake address and when setting up the VM I used a public phone. I picked an address out of my area code, so the area code on my phone is different than the one where I live. I paid cash for it and pay cash for the minutes cards, and I rotate where I buy the minutes reload cards. Originally Posted by rubytuesday
Come on Ruby! You buy your own reload cards? Aren't you worried about store security cameras? What you need to do is go to the other side of town and pay some kid to go into the store and buy the reload cards for you

While the my post is sarcastic the point is even cash leaves a trace if somebody wants to find you bad enough.

We are never completely invisible.

The key point behind the burner is get a phone number in a fake name.
Come on Ruby! You buy your own reload cards? Aren't you worried about store security cameras? What you need to do is go to the other side of town and pay some kid to go into the store and buy the reload cards for you

While the my post is sarcastic the point is even cash leaves a trace if somebody wants to find you bad enough.

We are never completely invisible.

The key point behind the burner is get a phone number in a fake name. Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I don't buy them often enough to worry about security cameras. My disguise helps a lot too. Cheap fake blond wig, big dark glasses, elbow length satin gloves (no fingerprints on the cash)...yeah..not attracting any attention. I get one with lots of minutes and my plan triples the minutes every time I buy them. I usually go through the grocery line, so it's lumped in with everything else I buy. If you go to a convenience store or get them in the electronics department in stores like WalMart or Fred Meyer...yeah, that could be a problem if you went in there often enough.

Fake name, and area code different from the one where you live...and be sure to set it up on a device that can't be traced back to you.

its simple to setup.. just get it from the drug store.. follow directions on there
thanks for the info guys. walmart, cvs or walgreens seems the way to go. i've seem them in mr. patel's corner store. i may explore that as well since i know they usually cycle through or overwrite their video footage....my main goal is to disguise my name and limit the ability to track me down. I figure if LE really wants you they can track you down if they want you bad enough. Still I want a good solid layer of security.
every 6 months i'll dump the phone
every 6 months i'll dump the phone Originally Posted by jonblake
If you do that, be sure you let the providers you frequent know that. I am mostly email contact only, but I do have a couple of regulars that contact me by phone. If they change their number and I don't know it, I don't answer the phone. It's the same for emails. I know several "Steves" but your email separates you from the other Steve's and it's how I identify who you are.