The Corporation - a quote

Watching a documentary that questioned the wisdom of making a corporation a legal person.

Interesting quote:

The corporation has no soul to save, no body to incarcerate.
The corporation has no soul to save, no body to incarcerate. Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
But it does have a fat wallet to fine . . . and that's what prosecutors love about it.

In a lot of countries corporate managers do have personal criminal accountability for acts of the corporation they may order.

One notable example was France where company managers could face five years and a hefty fine for putting the company into bankruptcy via "ruinous management practices" and other shenanigans. I think they may have eliminated that in some recent reforms but I don't see why. Seems utterly reasonable to me.

Cheers,
Mazo.
But it does have a fat wallet to fine . . . Originally Posted by Mazomaniac

Corporation: an ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil’s Dictionary

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
Thomas Jefferson

Unless you become more watchful in your states and check the spirit of monopoly and thirst for exclusive privileges you will in the end find that... the control over your dearest interests has passed into the hands of these corporations.
Andrew Jackson

The greatest evil is not now done in those sordid “dens of crime” that Dickens loved to paint. It is not done even in concentration camps and labor camps. In those we see its final result. But it is conceived and ordered (moved, seconded, carried and minuted) in clean, carpeted, warmed and well-lighted offices, by quiet men with white collars and cut fingernails, and smooth-shaven cheeks who do not need to raise their voices. Hence, naturally enough, my symbol for Hell is something like... the offices of a thoroughly nasty business concern.
-C.S. Lewis , The Screwtape Letters

We can have a democratic society or we can have great concentrated wealth in the hands of a few. We cannot have both.
- Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis

There can be no effective control of corporations while their political activity remains. To put an end to it will be neither a short nor easy task, but it can be done."
-President Theodore Roosevelt

The corporations don't have to lobby the government anymore. They are the government.
Jim Hightower
We can have a democratic society or we can have great concentrated wealth in the hands of a few. We cannot have both.
- Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis Originally Posted by TexTushHog
I don’t agree with the above statement so much. I think in the US we dance a dangerous tango between a free republic and an oligarchy, but for the most part, we maintain a balance.

The corporations don't have to lobby the government anymore. They are the government.
Jim Hightower Originally Posted by TexTushHog
But I do agree with this statement. Not sure how to reconcile that.