Weight training vs Cardio

I have been hearing some different schools of thought on this. I have had trainers in the past, so I thought I knew alot. I have always been told 80% is eating then cardio then weight training. Recently I read a book and several articles that suggest doing more weight training instead of more cardio burns fat faster. Also, that its a myth that if a woman does more resistance training she will bulk up. Im not too sure about this. The weather is warming up and I am ready to start getting in great shape. It's such a daunting task when you get out of the habit. Cold weather makes me pack on extra pounds, because I hate getting out in it. I like staying inside where its warm and toasty. I may as well hybernate in the winter! Having said that, It's always been easier for me to train with weights first then incorporate cardio. I just want to start out with something that will keep me motivated. That is whatever produces faster results lol! Anyone have any thoughts on this? Also, I wouldn't mind having a work out partner.
http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/

The guy on this site above is pretty up to date with all the information on working out and eating right. From what I understand, weight training burns more fat and you do end up losing weight faster in the long run because it raises your metabolism (muscle uses more energy and thus burn more calories). This also helps keep the weight off. Whatever you do, you must do both cardio and weight training for the best and most effective result. It all boils down to what you are trying to do. If you want to increase strength, you do power lifting. If you want to increase muscle mass, you do bodybuilding. If you want to decrease body fat, you do aerobic exercise and so forth. But take a look at that site, the guy is pretty spot on with everything from nutrition to exercise.
Cool thanks I will take a look. I'm just hoping to do more weight training than cardio per week!! I used to love to run, but not in the cold and not on a damn treadmill. Interval training on the treadmill isn't too bad. That seemed to really do the trick for me before.
It's all about calories (actually a "calorie" in this context is really a kilo-calorie). If you use more calories than you take in, you will lose weight. A pound of fat takes 3,500 calories to remove from your glorious bod.

You burn 20 - 50% more calories per minute doing cardio than lifting weights, but weights give a greater residual effect, with the result that the total effect of a weight workout can be about the same as cardio in terms of number of calories burned. To increase the residual effect, use heavier weights and take no more than 30 seconds rest between sets.

It takes about 40 extra calories per day to maintain an additional pound of muscle. If you add five pounds of muscle from weight training, the base number of calories you burn just by living increases by 200 calories per day. For these two reasons, weights are a bit better for weight loss than cardio.

Some studies show that people who lift weights noticed a greater difference in their physiques in a shorter period of time than those just doing cardio. This has an enormous psychological effect. Weights can keep you more motivated than cardio.

Weight training becomes even more important as we get older because we aren't producing as much human growth hormone. Weights will help counteract that and keep our metabolisms youthful.

My own personal experience is that my weight-lifting workouts are much more invigorating if I have also been doing cardio and my cardio workouts are much more pleasant if I have been lifting weights. Weights also help keep me free from running injuries. If I want to lose weight quickly, I intervals for most of my cardio workouts and do one workout with weights for each cardio workout.

The best exercises are the ones you like to do. If you like lifting weights, then that is probably what is going to work for you. Women should not worry about bulking up. It takes unusual genetics and extra-ordinary dedication to get a female body-builder's physique. I have known two female body builders, and when they were getting ready for a competition -- i.e. trying to get that shredded look that many people find grotesque -- every second of their day was controlled down to when they could eat a breath mint.
Brittany, personally, I don't subscribe to the approach that it's "all about calories" and simply burning more than you take in. Most modern sports regimens today concentrate on what KIND of calories you take in rather than how many (within limits of course).
There's many books out on the current thinking about what types of calories are best to consume. Sometimes eating more of the right kinds of carbs and proteins can actually help you trim down AND keep your body fueled for the kind of work out sessions that will provide you with the best results.
I would encourage you to check out "CrossFit". Instead of mind numbing work outs on cardio machines or long distance runs trying to burn calories, most CrossFit work outs are only 15-30 minutes in duration but often include both weights AND cardio in short intense workouts that will get you results in the shortest amount of time. Also because the work outs are constantly different, it cuts down on quickly becoming bored with the workouts.
Check out the new book, "The 4 hour body". It by no means has all the answers but it will give you some pretty interesting insight in modern sports training and diet.
Weights will not bulk you up IF you follow the right work outs. Go to the CrossFit site and check out some of the pictures of some of the women. I think you'll find the kind of shape that your aspiring to have there. Best of luck and feel free to ask if you have some questions on CrossFit.
www.CrossFit.com
I agree that its not all about counting calories. Based on a lot of recent medical journals, its more portion control and the quality of the calories you intake that keeps you fit. Sure you can count calories and eat fast food and lose weight but are you losing fat or muscle? Most of the fitness trainers that I ahve talked to don't count the calories they eat. Rather they look at what they put in.
  • 01-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Tim Ferriss's new book The 4 Hour Body is fun; suggests one reason Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day is that heat loss in water is 25 times greater than in air, that cold water exercise just sucks the calories out of you.

I'm a big fan of heavy barbells; a few pretty girls have lifted with me over the years and at least a couple have gone from flat white or asian girl butts to WOW! in a month or two of squatting deep and heavy. Benches have an interesting effect too; D cup girl I know, when she's benching seriously she doesn't need a bra, muscle holds them high.
Well it also depends a bit on the type of weight training you do. YOu might want to check out Cross Fit. It can be a bit expensive a friend of mine got me interested in it. I'm waiting to get my truck paid off so I can have a little extra cash later this year to try it out myself. But from what I've read on it so far its the type of workouts I enjoy doing.
I don't need any help in the butt department, but I miss those long lean leg muscles I had when I danced and the muscled shapely shoulders and that little horseshoe on the side of the arm.
Tim Ferriss's new book The 4 Hour Body is fun; suggests one reason Michael Phelps eats 12,000 calories a day is that heat loss in water is 25 times greater than in air, that cold water exercise just sucks the calories out of you.

I'm a big fan of heavy barbells; a few pretty girls have lifted with me over the years and at least a couple have gone from flat white or asian girl butts to WOW! in a month or two of squatting deep and heavy. Benches have an interesting effect too; D cup girl I know, when she's benching seriously she doesn't need a bra, muscle holds them high. Originally Posted by 78704
CrossFit can be expensive if you take classes at their gym....however once you have the basics down and with a small investment in some equipment, you can do a good majority of the exercises at home or outside. The CrossFit website always lists the WOD (work out of the day) each and every day. Most of those work outs don't require much more than a kettlebell, pull up bar or a barbell with some plates. After you get into it and understand the concepts, you'll most likely be making up your own work outs which will only be limited by your imagination. That cuts way down on the cost.
Things like portion control and eating for your body type are all about how to get you to eat fewer calories than you burn. If you eat 3,000 calories per day of apples (which would be difficult to do!) and burn 2,000 calories per day living and exercising, you will gain two pounds a week.

You don't have to count calories to know if you burned more than you took in. You know. Your body knows. Just listen to it.
I know most of this in theory. Discipline is the problem in cold weather. Well that and eating out at restraunts. Even ordering so called healthy dishes is probably not ideal. The more I work out the more I wanna eat! I read about "eating clean" and that sounds like a pretty good idea. I guess its time for meal replacements. Having said that, what meal replacement shakes do you guys like? I know its a bit different for women when selecting those. I did well before by cutting out sugar and simple carbs. But I was soo grouchy lol!
i just wanna burn fat. i want the 6 pack (not 6 bach) abs. tired of carrying around my own personal party ball. plus, i wanna know what my feet look like!
Wow you are to funny!! I just want to thin out all over, lose 10lbs, and gain lean muscle.
Wow you are to funny!! I just want to thin out all over, lose 10lbs, and gain lean muscle. Originally Posted by BritneyBangs
Britney, those goals are easily within reach. You were on the right path with limiting your sugars and simple carbs.
As far as the cold weather....Gold's gym offers Body Pump classes which are weights and cardio. About 80% of the classes are women. All you need to show up with is motivation.
So, here's what I would recommend for you to achieve your goal.
Sign up at gold's for a no contract membership. That way if you don't like it, you're not stuck paying for a year. Then all you pay is a monthly fee and you can quit anytime you like.
Sign up for their body pump class 3 times per week and maybe add in one or two other classes they offer in the days in between such as yoga, body combat, etc.
The body pump will use weights that they supply and will get you the tone you're looking for without the bulk.
As far as your diet.
1. Wake up each morning and within 30 minutes consume a protein shake that has at least 40 grams of protein. Syntha-6 is a good quality brand that supplies good protein and tastes decent.
2. For the rest of the day, the only carbs you should take in come from vegetables or beans. The rest should be protein sources such as eggs, lean chicken, fish, even some white pork and beef is ok although I would limit those last two types of meat to no more than 3 times per week.
3. Get yourself some Omega-3 fish oil tablets that you take 2-3 times per day with your meals.
4. Build in one "cheat day" per week. On this day and only this day you can take in simple carbs such as rice, potatoes, sweets etc. That should help with the grouchyness
It's important to know that when you first make the switch to this type of clean eating, you will feel a little lethargic the first week. Once your body adapts though, you will notice a difference in your energy levels (going up), body fat (coming down) and overall tone starting to show with the body pump classes thrown in.
5. Get yourself some green tea. Drink at least 2-3 cups of green tea a day. This will help with your energy level and it also increases your metabolism naturally helping you burn fat more efficiently.
6. When you're not taking a class and you find yourself being inactive for more than 30 minutes (unless you're sleeping), get up, stretch. If you're on the computer, step away, lay down, do a set of 20 crunches. You can do that at home. If you're watching a commercial on TV, do a few push-ups or sit-ups until the show comes back on. This way your body stays somewhat active even when you're not "working out".
7. Sleep! Sleep is SO important when you're working out and trying to change your body. 7-8 hours per night minimum and try to have a set schedule if at all possible.
20-40 minute power nap sometime during the day if possible.

These are just a few basic steps to get you going. 10 pounds of fat loss and increasing body tone is very well within your reach in a reasonable amount of time if you follow the above steps.

Good luck!

Ps: No, I don't work for Gold's or CrossFit although I do go to Gold's and CrossFit both when I'm not overseas. The great thing about Gold's right now is that all the classes they offer are covered under your one monthly fee. So let's say you pay $40.00 per month (as an example) this covers full gym use of all equipment and as many classes as you care to take. Cheaper than CrossFit for sure.