OFFTOPIC - Unsinkable U.S. Navy Frigate

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mili...fire-exercise/

man, those frigate maybe crap, but they sure made pretty good enough to not sink.
Unsinkable

Famous last words.
Unsinkable

Famous last words. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
yeah that's was the Titantic line.

about 4,000 pounds of ordance were thrown at it and couldn't sink it. (this is a ship with all the explosives & flamables removed)

it took a 1,000 pound torpedo Mk48 from a navy submarine to finish it off.
All US warships are hard to sink; USS Guam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reu_0uULP58 I hate the music score added to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBOYBev24Ig the Guam during better days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzl9E4puCFs Never saw this before, Guam transiting the Suez Canal and I am in the video at 1:56:39 and 2:01:19.
I see the problem as actual hits.

The best way to sink a ship with a very large bomb is not to actually hit the ship, but to have the bomb explode just next to it. The multiplied impact of the water would break the keel.

When Billy Mitchel did his famous demonstration after WW-1 to prove the vulnerability of large capital ships to aircraft, they used the old German Dreadnaught Battleship Ostfriesland as a target. They literally blew it to pieces a topside with 2000 and 4000 pound bombs and incentararies, but it did not turn turtle and sink until they dropped a couple of 2000 lb "tall boys" just off of it's port and starboard sides. The explosion, magnified by the waters hammering affect, split the hull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnOzGjvjU4w

The video is a little misleading, the final Homs that sunk the old girl hit just off the stern, not on it.

That being said, that Frigate in the OP was one tough cookie.
I see the problem as actual hits.

The best way to sink a ship with a very large bomb is not to actually hit the ship, but to have the bomb explode just next to it. The multiplied impact of the water would break the keel.

When Billy Mitchel did his famous demonstration after WW-1 to prove the vulnerability of large capital ships to aircraft, they used the old German Dreadnaught Battleship Ostfriesland as a target. They literally blew it to pieces a topside with 2000 and 4000 pound bombs and incentararies, but it did not turn turtle and sink until they dropped a couple of 2000 lb "tall boys" just off of it's port and starboard sides. The explosion, magnified by the waters hammering affect, split the hull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnOzGjvjU4w

The video is a little misleading, the final Homs that sunk the old girl hit just off the stern, not on it.

That being said, that Frigate in the OP was one tough cookie. Originally Posted by Jackie S
I'm really surprised someone else knew that. I used to retire my ship models when I was a kid by putting a 30/30 as close to the hull as possible without touching it. Yes, it would cave in the side.
I'm really surprised someone else knew that. I used to retire my ship models when I was a kid by putting a 30/30 as close to the hull as possible without touching it. Yes, it would cave in the side. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Product of a practical education.
Judy thinks he is the last word in anything aquatic.
Frigates.... They are missile sponges for a carrier group.
Let's try to avoid a war so we don't have to find out.
Let's try to avoid a war so we don't have to find out. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Many people in the Country went to bed on the eavening of December 6, 1941, with those same thoughts.

As a Veteran, I know the waste that a war can be, as my war was a total waste.

But throughout History, there are are times when the choice is no longer yours. It has been made by your enemies who will enslave you.

You qualified your statement with the word "try". That I agree with 100 percent.
Judy thinks he is the last word in anything aquatic. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
When it comes to the USS Guam, I am the resident expert. When it comes to the US Navy, I'm pretty well informed there as well.

I suppose that at this point I should say something pithy about you being an expert on glory holes but that would be beneath me.
When it comes to the USS Guam, I am the resident expert. When it comes to the US Navy, I'm pretty well informed there as well.

I suppose that at this point I should say something pithy about you being an expert on glory holes but that would be beneath me. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
You just did dipshit. Typical right wing fag post.

I suppose that at this point I should say something pithy about you being an expert on glory holes but that would be beneath me. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
No problem shipmate, I'll do it for ya ! Especially since EKIM IS the " last word " and resident expert on getting his fudge packed, bukakke and picking dingleberries down at HIS gloryholes !
Many people in the Country went to bed on the eavening of December 6, 1941, with those same thoughts.

As a Veteran, I know the waste that a war can be, as my war was a total waste.

But throughout History, there are are times when the choice is no longer yours. It has been made by your enemies who will enslave you.

You qualified your statement with the word "try". That I agree with 100 percent. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Exactly. The key word is "try". But if war is unavoidable, we need to win as quickly and decisively as possible. The strongest country ought not get involved in long, drawn out proxy wars with ridiculous rules of engagement and no clear definition of victory. If it's worth fighting, it's worth winning. Or don't fight. It wastes money, and, more importantly, lives.