The Clinton Contradiction

Charles Krauthammer said tonight that the Clinton campaign contradicted itself by calling Donald Trump’s request for Russia to locate Hillary’s missing e-mails a threat to national security:

Well, that was his parting shot, and it was a clever thing to plant, because it is an issue. But I do think there was something about his reference to Russia that, whether planned or not, was extremely clever. I’m not the first to point out that it set a trap that the Clinton campaign fell right into. In that statement that you showed from the Clinton campaign, it said you’re [Trump] is inviting a foreign power to invade our national security.

Now, these are the e-mails she deleted because they were supposedly private; these were the ones that were supposedly not work-related; these are the ones where she discusses her yoga lessons and wedding planning. So if that what was really in the 30,000 deleted e-mails, then there’s no national security to be involved at all.

So the Clinton campaign ends up admitting that perhaps there really is work-related – if not classified – stuff in the e-mails that she deleted, which I think would be grounds for a charge of obstruction. Whether or not he meant it seriously – it could have been sarcastic, it could have been sort of half-sarcastic as a way to plant the idea – the fact is that it leaves the Clinton campaign in a complete contradiction. If these are just private e-mails, then there is nothing to be concerned about. There is no espionage.

There is no danger to national security that they will discover her yoga lesson schedule.