Madama Butterfly

On a path to increase my familiarity with Opera, I just saw my first performance of this lovely piece. I hadn't realized that at it's initial debut, it had literally been laughed off stage. The frustration seems to have paid off as Puccini's final work is stunning. Makes me deathly curious about the original - wish I could see the failed version.

As much as I love the piece, I hope to catch a better performance. The woman playing Butterfly was nearing her 40s, and it was hard to watch the entire production convinced that this was a naive 15/18 year old girl.

It also drove me up the wall that the women couldn't walk in Kimonos. A catch 22 I think, the stage is so large they have to get on and off quickly, but large steps in a Kimono make it look awkward by breaking up the lines.

I was also painfully devistated by the poor sell on her death scene. There she is in this glorious white kimono, surrounded by pink petals. She raises the sword... and pretends to slash her neck. Call me dramatic but I was hoping for a fake blood pellet - it would have been visually stunning against the airy white background. Probably not very practical as it means the last costume would almost always be damaged... but one can hope. To be honest I think the lead just failed to sell the moment.

Seppuku, if I remember correctly, requires the person to stab themselves in the abdomen, then sweep the blade across. I'm not sure if this applies to Jigai, the ritual suicide for females.

I would love to see this again, but with a younger female lead. I imagine that's a challenge in the Opera world, where the vocal training is so intensive that finding a young woman capable of carrying the lead would require someone exceptionally talented.
On a path to increase my familiarity with Opera, I just saw my first performance of this lovely piece. I hadn't realized that at it's initial debut, it had literally been laughed off stage. The frustration seems to have paid off as Puccini's final work is stunning. Makes me deathly curious about the original - wish I could see the failed version Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
I'm intrigued by how many times I've learned that an artist's work was originally ridiculed but is now considered a masterpiece.

It seems you saw your own semi-failed version, at least!
I love Puccini, especially Madama Butterfly and Aida.
I love Puccini, especially Madama Butterfly and Aida. Originally Posted by BellaIsabella
I saw Aida at the Sidney Opera house - it was an amazing staging! They put the river across the front of the stage, and I thought it was just a shallow pool. Halfway through a man jumped in and did a breast-stroke across the stage.

Too bad I had just gotten off of 15+ hours of flying and was fighting to stay awake!!
I saw Aida at the Sidney Opera house - it was an amazing staging! They put the river across the front of the stage, and I thought it was just a shallow pool. Halfway through a man jumped in and did a breast-stroke across the stage.

Too bad I had just gotten off of 15+ hours of flying and was fighting to stay awake!! Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
You must mean Sydney! [Typological error.]
You must mean Sydney! [Typological error.] Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
iPhone posting while in slow line at grocery store
I'm intrigued by how many times I've learned that an artist's work was originally ridiculed but is now considered a masterpiece. Originally Posted by LynetteMarie
See CT?...there's hope for you yet.
I'm intrigued by how many times I've learned that an artist's work was originally ridiculed but is now considered a masterpiece. Originally Posted by LynetteMarie
See CT?...there's hope for you yet. Originally Posted by Rudyard K
[**Making arrangements to have my works on ECCIE preserved for history.**]
From Wikipedia:
Some females belonging to samurai families committed suicide by cutting the jugular vein with a knife such as a tantō or kaiken. The main purpose was to achieve a quick and certain death in order to avoid capture. Before committing suicide, a woman would often tie her knees together so her body would be found in a dignified pose, despite the convulsions of death. Jigai, however, does not refer exclusively to this particular mode of suicide. Jigai was often done to preserve one's honor if a military defeat was imminent, so as to prevent rape. Invading armies would often enter homes to find the lady of the house seated alone, facing away from the door. On approaching her, they would find that she had ended her life long before they reached her.
@JB

Good to see you.
Lauren,

Try and go see the production at the Met in New York; saw it twice and it is truly a superb production!

Agreed, Sydney Opera House is an amazing place, suggest everyone see a performance there - opera, symphony, etc.
Lauren, Try and go see the production at the Met in New York. Originally Posted by discreetgent
Word! The met does awesome productions.
However, it does not appear inthe remainder of the season.
http://www.metoperafamily.org/metope...x.aspx?nav=top