How to buy a car...new or used.

I'm in sales and one thing I absolutely hate is car salemen/saleswomen/salesthings so I want to unravel some of their shenanigans and maybe help some buy smarter.

#1. Know you numbers and know the price you will pay before shopping. DO NOT NEGOTIATE!!! You are on their territory playing by their rules, they will beat you everytime!

#2. Buy thru the Fleet Manager. The FM doesn't care about games, they just want to move cars/trucks.

#3. If you ignore that advice, know that the way they beat you is to wear you down. Don't shop for a vehicle when you are in a hurry. Time is on their side, they are there for 12-14 hours a day and have all the time in the world.

#4. They know that the first vehicle you look at is the one you will buy so pick the most butt-ugly car out there and look at it first. It will fuck up their whole equation. Look at the vehicle you want either 3rd or 4th.

#5. Remember what I said about wearing you down? Ok, when they get you in the office and leave you by yourself, they are listening in on the phone system. Think about it, just before they left the room they called and said something like "I'm talking to Mr.Lizard, please hold my calls"...they are using that to alert the sales manager and leaving the speaker phone on and muted so the manager can hear you strategize. I recommend picking up the phone and hanging it back up after the saleguy leaves so they can't listen in. Better yet, go outside to talk if you are there with someone. They hate that.

#6. The four square scam. That's where they take a piece of paper and divide it into 4 sections and give you a bullshit story about price. Here's how you beat it: Once they are finished, take the paper, ball it up and throw it away then say "Sorry, I wasn't listening, can you repeat that?" If they do, get the first piece of paper and compare...the numbers will NOT add the same.

#7. The Sales Manager. This guy is a complete asshole, treat him as such. Personally, I love messing with these guys and can usually get their blood pressure up to unhealthy levels. They are trained to have the last word. I don't care. YOU are the customer so YOU truly have the last word. Don't be afraid to say "NO" and walk out....sometimes that is your best defense. They will try to bully you by leaning in your face, I always remind them that in this state, we have Stand Your Ground laws and I'm carrying... freaks them out. If you feel intimidated, it's time to walk away without saying another word. If they get in your way, shoot them. Just kidding...sort of. A sales manager is a professional bully...remember how you handled a bully in school? Same lessons here, don't take their shit and let them know that YOU are the fucking boss of your money. I'm not afraid of making a scene and neither should you be. If that doesn't work, shoot him. Just kidding... sort of.

#8. It's your money, you are the absolute boss of how it gets used, don't let them bully you into spending it with them. They aren't going to think you are a great guy/lady, they will think "What a lame ass" if you give in to their games. Don't play their games, they will beat you with experience. Walk away, gather your thoughts and go somewhere else. They aren't your friend, they aren't on your side...YOU are. Spend accordingly.

Yes, I have done what I have told you and more. When I go on to a lot and they ask what type of work do you do, I answer "I work". When they ask "What will take to put you in this vehicle today?", I answer "Don't piss me off." When a sale manager says no one can beat this price, I pull out my cell and call their competitor, put them on speaker and tell them the price and ask if they can beat it...of course they can. You have to be an asshole to mess with professional assholes, don't be afraid to be the asshole. In fact, it's fun.

Any questions class?
Great advice!! I hate going to car dealerships personally. I have not used it but a friend suggested I try an app called Tue Car.

https://www.truecar.com/

Always do your research ahead of time and have an idea on how much you want to spend before you go to the lot or if you are purchasing from an individual. I let them know that I am going to but a car but it may not necessarily be with them. Don't be afraid to make an offer if it is a reasonable one and let them know that you are leaving. Sometimes, you may get a call back same day or at a later date if they get desperate to meet a quota if that dealership has one. Remember, you are in the drivers seat.
Hey road lizard that's nice Intell for a car shopper! But sense this is a pussy shopping board for us dogs? U got a how to get good hot pussy cheap guide?
If the men on this board started treating buying pussy this exact same way I bet things would get a lot better real quick lol. Can you imagine doing the one where you call another hooker and say can you beat this deal lol I wonder how well that would go over
Holy shit, yall got me laughing!

Wonder how much a provider charges for undercoating and rust protection???
Ooooh, I want undercoating...!

JaG
Holy shit, yall got me laughing!

Wonder how much a provider charges for undercoating and rust protection??? Originally Posted by Road Lizard

Hell, I'd settle for a good extended warranty!
Handwash and lube
It is unfortunate that you put all car salespersons and sales managers in the same class. I have been in the car business for 33 years and I give respect and I expect the same in return. All car people are not assholes and do not deserve to be treated as one. There are unscrupulous people in all walks of life and I have found there are just as many customers that fit in the category described by you. I only expect to make a fair profit as any other business does. I have a good reputation for treating people fairly and I have a tremendous repeat customer base because of that fair treatment. I don't know what business you or the people reading this are in but I would venture to say that when you go to work you expect to make money or you would not be doing the work, and I do as well. I don't treat people badly and I don't like to be treated badly either.
It is unfortunate that you put all car salespersons and sales managers in the same class. I have been in the car business for 33 years and I give respect and I expect the same in return. All car people are not assholes and do not deserve to be treated as one. There are unscrupulous people in all walks of life and I have found there are just as many customers that fit in the category described by you. I only expect to make a fair profit as any other business does. I have a good reputation for treating people fairly and I have a tremendous repeat customer base because of that fair treatment. I don't know what business you or the people reading this are in but I would venture to say that when you go to work you expect to make money or you would not be doing the work, and I do as well. I don't treat people badly and I don't like to be treated badly either. Originally Posted by misterte52

I'm going through all this right now with my teenage daughter. Real life situations that have a major impact on quality of life. Do not OVERPAY for anything, a house or car. Most of us are not millionaires so don't spend 5 to 10 years EXTRA paying for something you shouldn't be (can't research enough). When buying new vehicles pick ones that do not depreciate as fast as others. This is the difference in being $5000 under/over on the vehicle. I personally do not get any type of extended warranties either. If the vehicle your buying is any good you shouldn't need a warranty. That's if your good with vehicles and do all of your maintenance required.
It is unfortunate that you put all car salespersons and sales managers in the same class. I have been in the car business for 33 years and I give respect and I expect the same in return. All car people are not assholes and do not deserve to be treated as one. There are unscrupulous people in all walks of life and I have found there are just as many customers that fit in the category described by you. I only expect to make a fair profit as any other business does. I have a good reputation for treating people fairly and I have a tremendous repeat customer base because of that fair treatment. I don't know what business you or the people reading this are in but I would venture to say that when you go to work you expect to make money or you would not be doing the work, and I do as well. I don't treat people badly and I don't like to be treated badly either. Originally Posted by misterte52
Where did I say every one of them? Look, if you really are one of the good guys, then THANK YOU! But this whole defense of 'customers are rotten too' isn't a real solid rebuttal, just a deflection.

You know that you are in a business that has a sleazy reputation. I didn't give it to you, the dealership industry EARNED that reputation. And they did it by doing the things I listed. How about disputing what I said? Do you use any of those methods? Do you defend the use of the 4 square chart? If you don't, then say so and shut me up. Real simple.

Here's what I propose: Let's have a civil discussion about how to buy a car at the best price. Yes I will come from the customer view point that says I want the best deal. Here's your chance to educate a lot of people on how to best buy a car, including me. We all win in that scenario so how about it?

And Nino, I think it's funny the paragraph you enhanced, love the irony.