Longhorns football 2017

This year I bet we have a winning record. I expect 7-5. 8-4 would be great. I see the 2018 recruiting class we are now ranked # 4. 2017 class ranked 26th. Herman is doing amazing things for not coaching 1 down yet. My fingers are crossed
This year I bet we have a winning record. I expect 7-5. 8-4 would be great. I see the 2018 recruiting class we are now ranked # 4. 2017 class ranked 26th. Herman is doing amazing things for not coaching 1 down yet. My fingers are crossed Originally Posted by derek303
Much too early to rank 2018 recruiting classes. I will say that in my opinion one of Charlie Strong's weaknesses was not getting early commitments. Mack Brown was excellent at that, although when you offer scholarships early many of the recruits won't succeed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. I am not a UT fan (my wife most certainly is) but I don't think 7-5 is out of the question. The opening game against Maryland might be a pretty good predictor of how the season will go. Texas gets U of Kansas at home which will be beneficial (sarcasm).
Coaches poll has us in the top 25
they were last year too? means nothing
Should have a better season then my Red Raiders #extrasadface
Horns now have the # 2 recruiting class for 2018. Ohio State is # 1 and Miami # 3.
who is the qb? lol
Glad you started this thread. Love college football. The Horns have a tough schedule, but i'm hoping for 8-4. That would put us on the road back to greatness.
Just as long as it doesn't end in a 7.

They opened 17 pt favorites the first game. I think that's a bit strong
Glad you started this thread. Love college football. The Horns have a tough schedule, but i'm hoping for 8-4. That would put us on the road back to greatness. Originally Posted by chuckles
Chuckles, thanks. I have started the UT football and basketball threads for many years now. I think we will see 7-5, but could go 8-4. Last years team gave up which is odd because it was obvious the players loved Strong. He's inherited a top 25 team where he went. Lets see if he delivers there. I liked Charlie...very puzzling time here.
I'm a bit of a football fan. Regarding Chuck Strong and how he'll do at USF? A bit more than mediocre the first year. After that? Probably worse. Why? Let me ask you this. How many times over the three years he was here did you see players lifting their arms at each other as if to say "what do I do"? How many times did we see a punt fair caught inside our own 10 yard line? I recall many. How many times did we have an extra point or a short field goal blocked? There were numerous. How many times were there questionable time management issues? Again, there were several over his three year span. These are all basic coaching fundamentals. You want to say he didn't have a loaded locker room from Mack? O.K, but that does not excuse players not knowing their basic responsibilities. He recruited well, but didn't know how to coach that talent. And let's face it, most coaches could get good talent to come to Texas. Even former players said the practices were a cake walk. He DID NOT coach them up well. Even after he took over as D coordinator the defense was anemic at best. Teddy Bridgewater made him look great at Louiseville and strong should be sending him an annual check to re-pay him. Oh, and regarding all that B.S. about raising good young men and being an example? Why was he almost served with a deposition to testify at the divorce proceedings between a L'ville board member and his wife? Why was he asked for his phone and travel records after he left for Texas? Why was he asked during the proceedings to return a Rolex given to him by the board members wife? Why would a board members wife give the head coach a Rolex? These are all facts easily found with a little research. Not covered well locally for a reason, but well covered in L'ville. I was for Strong at first. But after year two and all the dirty laundry came out, along with the poor coaching, I was ready for him to go. USF will keep him for three years because UT is paying his salary because of a stupid 5 for 25 mil guaranteed contract. After that, he will be gone because of poor results. Herman, I believe, will get this team popping again. Attention to detail is huge for him and he is already securing fantastic recruiting results. We'll see though.
Who cares about chuck?
I heard about the new fancy 9,000.00 lockers and new locker room. I scoffed at it when I read about it months ago. I saw a video clip of all of yesterday and it is awesome! Don't think for a minute this don't help recruiting! Herman did a great job of coming in here and getting Texas to catch up in this way. Our facilities were worn out and the new recruits were 8 years old when we were relevant last.
So I guess you cant put polls on threads. I was going to ask 6 or fewer, 7-8, 8-9, or 10+ excluding post season.

I'll say 7-8.
So I guess you cant put polls on threads. I was going to ask 6 or fewer, 7-8, 8-9, or 10+ excluding post season.

I'll say 7-8. Originally Posted by Congratulations
I would say 5 or less wins will be a disaster
6- and IF we WIN our bowl game meh...but progress
7 wins and win our bowl game good
8 wins-great
9 wins- exceptional
Our depth sucks except at receiver, but if we stay healthy I think we will be 7 or 8. I saw the polls where we are 23rd. We are the only team in the top 25 that had a loosing record last year. These win totals are for this year. The following year they all go up by 1. We can't loose stupid damn games like Kansas again.