The Life Unexamined?

Can we blame the Greeks (not the sexual kind the cultural kind) for reality television and, yes even the melodrama that sometimes gets stirred on these boards?

It was them that gave birth to the idea that "the unexamined life is not worth living."

Now that the pendulum has swung to the opposite to become our current culture of analyzing everything and making our introspection public, what do you think about the value of the examined life?
Can we blame the Greeks (not the sexual kind the cultural kind) for reality television and, yes even the melodrama that sometimes gets stirred on these boards?

It was them that gave birth to the idea that "the unexamined life is not worth living."

Now that the pendulum has swung to the opposite to become our current culture of analyzing everything and making our introspection public, what do you think about the value of the examined life? Originally Posted by Wetwork Daddy
I don't think the idiocy of reality television is what they had in mind. Reaility TV isn't an examination of anything, it doesn't reflect reality, it's empty trash. The modern soap opera- instead of watching people come back from the dead and evil twins you have Jersey Shore. The genre depends on people desperate for attention, with no sense of shame or pride, then pitches them against each other. Viewers enjoy the chaos, conflict and abuse. Bread and circuses.

I've long ago canceled my cable, and buy seasons of the few good shows that TV has to offer.
Well said lady.
Trash is trash.
LS - how do you know what the "good shows" are if you just buy (I'm guessing) DVD box sets? So called critics? Friends? WTF? Discreet Gent? White Knight of the Month? Guess?
Is there an agenda here Atlcomedy?
If not it sure looks that way?
No agenda

Am I not allowed to make a comment?

Do you reco her DVDs?
LS - how do you know what the "good shows" are if you just buy (I'm guessing) DVD box sets? So called critics? Friends? WTF? Discreet Gent? White Knight of the Month? Guess? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I'm of no use in this matter; my channel of choice is ESPN.
ESPN.....only if you bet.
Well said lady.
Trash is trash. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius
I actually agree with this.
DG - you a Knicks fan? great game!
DG - you a Knicks fan? great game! Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I am; Knicks should lose the series, a shame they couldn't steal game 1.

How about you avoid posting until your wound is healed, you're more ornery than usual tonight.
sorry bud..

& feel bad for the loss...they needed one if the were going to pull off the upset
they needed one if the were going to pull off the upset Originally Posted by atlcomedy
agreed
LS - how do you know what the "good shows" are if you just buy (I'm guessing) DVD box sets? So called critics? Friends? WTF? Discreet Gent? White Knight of the Month? Guess? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
I catch things as I'm traveling. Hear things from friends. Often I'll see what's on sale for TV shows, then do some research, watch some streamed clips, ask friends.

I'm a big fan of iTunes and apple tv, so I might buy individual episodes first.
  • WTF
  • 04-18-2011, 10:54 AM
Well said lady.
Trash is trash. Originally Posted by Marcus Aurelius

One man's trash is another man's treasure

If we could actually learn to put ourselves in others shoes we would not all be so aggorant as to WTF is trashYes i realize I set myself up

The older I get the more I realize we are most tolerant of those that think like we do and those we want to fuc or those that have money we might like to share in.