The rights of parents/kids as it relates to Social Media

Now we've all heard about kids that post dumb stuff about themselves or classmates on the internet (Facebook, YouTUbe, Myspace, etc.) and how it comes back to bite them in the ass...

What about parents that post content of their minor children titled "cute" or etc. that when the child that is now 7 or 8 turns 13 or 14 says "I can't believe you posted that."

Now we all have unflattering photos in family albums or funny stories about our families. Until now they didn't get posted on the internet after Mom had her second glass of Merlot.

There is the common sense answer that says parents should be smarter about this...but millions aren't. Should we regulate beyond that?
Should we regulate beyond that? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
You said the magic "r" word. PJ's ears will make a whizzing sound as they turn on the side of his head, the smoke will pour forth from them, his eyes will roll back in his head, and his head will rotate like in "The Exorcist."

Having said that, I know a guy who is into genealogy. He is posting a lot of stuff on ancestry.com. But he has a rule: nothing goes on as it relates to people who are still alive. No pics. No bios. No factual details. He is too worried about someone stealing identity of a live person from the information if he were to post it.

I think it's a good rule. And, we shouldn't be posting those facts on the net anywhere. Of course I'm never going to convince people that the Facebook tidal wave is too intrusive. However, I'm not on it.
Some things are just too stupid for comment.
1. Any regulation is going to be incredibly difficult to enforce.

2. What the hell are you "saving" these kids from. Embarrassment? It's called growing a tough hide.

3. Generally, the law has decided, for good or for ill (and most would argue for good), that it will tread very lightly on people's choices when it comes to raising their kids. There are no doubt costs associated with this decision. But there are likewise substantial costs associated with the alternative.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
1. Any regulation is going to be incredibly difficult to enforce.

2. What the hell are you "saving" these kids from. Embarrassment? It's called growing a tough hide.

3. Generally, the law has decided, for good or for ill (and most would argue for good), that it will tread very lightly on people's choices when it comes to raising their kids. There are no doubt costs associated with this decision. But there are likewise substantial costs associated with the alternative.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
Damn Tushy, there may be hope for you after all...

Damn Tushy, there may be hope for you after all...

Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Yup! The boy isn't a complete nanny stater.
So here’s the story. You’ve had a good night out, and you scored big with an excellent provider. Instead of heading straight up to your room, you decide to stop off at the bar and have a drink. It’s now early in the morning, and you’ve seen your way to the bottom of several Seven and Sevens. Finally, it’s last call, and you manage to stumble back to your room. Your laptop is still sitting on the desk just like you left it: its dim, blue light glowing in the dark. You make a pit stop in the lavatory and splash some cool water on your face before you begin typing.

Twenty-five minutes in Word and the BCD section of your review is nearly done. You proof it once, and then you click on the Eccie tab and open a new review thread. You type in the particulars: name, website, etc. Now you’re ready to paste your story in the BCD section; so, you click on the Word tab and block and copy all the delightful details of your wonderful evening. Next you click on the tab to reopen Eccie, you place the cursor on the empty blank and you paste. Now it’s time to type in your “Yes” recommendation, and that’s when you realize something is not quite right. Gradually, through the fog of the booze and fatigue, you make out the Facebook page of a co-worker glowing on the screen. Dimly, you realize she now has all of the juicy highlights from your latest “business trip” posted on her wall for all to see and read. As you the panic in your chest crescendos, refrains of the old R.B. Greaves’ song “Take a Letter Maria” echo in your head. Of course, this time the justification is completely different, but one thing is sure. You will be starting a new life.
Now we've all heard about kids that post dumb stuff about themselves or classmates on the internet (Facebook, YouTUbe, Myspace, etc.) and how it comes back to bite them in the ass...

What about parents that post content of their minor children titled "cute" or etc. that when the child that is now 7 or 8 turns 13 or 14 says "I can't believe you posted that."

Now we all have unflattering photos in family albums or funny stories about our families. Until now they didn't get posted on the internet after Mom had her second glass of Merlot.

There is the common sense answer that says parents should be smarter about this...but millions aren't. Should we regulate beyond that? Originally Posted by atlcomedy
No one can afford to touch that because of the can of worms it opens.

Where is anyone to get the resources to manage rights down to such fine splitting of hairs?

Facebook has about 2000 employees. There are 600 million active users as of 2011. Monitoring such rights would have to be based by complaints being submitted by users. That means 1. Dealing with false complaints of people who like to be difficult 2. Authentic Complaints. You estimated millions of people making this mistake of posting inappropriate pictures that their kids may object to.

Imagine the staff it would take to address each complaint individually, to see what is authentic, and then to decide whether or not it crosses the line?

Tens of thousands? Hundreds of Thousands?

And when do they say "Yes that's inappropriate" and when do they say "you're being irrational and overly sensitive" - because that will happen too. Woe be it to the man or woman in charge of deciding and writing that code of behavior, not a task to be envied as someone will disagree with any line you draw.

Unless you forbid posting pictures of other people, no photos but those that contain only you. I'm betting that facebook users would loose interest in participating quickly.

People have to actually engage each other. If your Mom posted a picture you don't like - take a deep breath - you have to walk over to your mother, or pick up the phone, and talk her into taking it down. A shockingly old fashion way to deal with a new world problem.

Corporations cannot be responsible for policing the social interactions of peoples lives, it's impossible to do. There are lines that are unquestionably wrong - violence, harassment, threats... we know grievous wrongs when we see them. It is only grievous wrongs that can be addressed, the rest we have to figure out amongst ourselves.
my fb is private and i only post photos on there that everyone involved agrees. As to kids. Well i think there is nothing wrong with normal photos. i think people should privatize their profile more. Some people don`t really seem to be aware "WHAT" they post for the whole world to look at. some woman even posted on couchsurfing as a review that she pitied herself for having a boyfriend because her guest was so cute. Shows of a great character and i am sure the whole universe will love it :-))) ...

as to the rest: stupid is as stupid does. I even found providers who post the same photos on their homepage as in facebook and then WONDER how anyone could find their identity.
same woman posted her homepage under her real name and was surprised too. And these are the ones that brag about how intelligent they are on their homepage - not ordinary idiots like me ;-)))).... hehehehehehehe.....

i think in austria we have something that is called right to privacy and it extends to reading letters by parents for minors. Parents are not allowed to open letters adressed to their kids, even when these kids are minors. Its a right to private sphere.

I have written on my private blog (it was related to the court proceedings in canada regarding polygamy and polyamory) about in whatever circumstances people are raised (children) there is always some form of abuse.. in every cultural circumstance.....

My sister recently posted some baby photos of me and her in her fb and i untagged myself from all of them. I don`t want others to see baby photos. Especially not nude ones. has that happened too in USA? In europe all people make nude photos of their kids, unaware of course. Seems to be normal to post that stuff in family albums. i assume in the usa this is stricter.... :-) How is that here??. But in europe its quite common for parents to make nude photos of their kids all the time....-:-))) (lol). But oh my god if you are grown up and work as nude model :-) .....holy moly .....;-)...

not that i am against nudity, but i find it hilarious......I was working as nude model and still am at times (i model for art and get paid for it...) and my stepmother used to make some nasty comment about if its not possible to earn money for me with clothes on :-) and i was talking to her that its her fault, because i was raised that way from HER!! :-)))
;-)))) hehehehehehe

happy easter, you guys!!!
Nina
Kids should have no rights.
Kids should have no rights. Originally Posted by pyramider
they should. first and foremost human rights and kids protective rights. you know, i was abused in my childhood - as i am sure many of us here were - and you telling such things make me wanna puke right in your face! Its hard enough to proof child abuse in court , especially when you are a minor.
I'm with Nina - Of course they should! They don't suddenly turn into human beings when they reach adult hood.

Countries where children have no rights result in rampant sexual and physical abuse. They create conditions where children are worked like slaves in unhealthy environments.

Children with rights get the chance to have a childhood, and grow into healthy, rational adults.
I'm with Nina - Of course they should! They don't suddenly turn into human beings when they reach adult hood.

Countries where children have no rights result in rampant sexual and physical abuse. They create conditions where children are worked like slaves in unhealthy environments.

Children with rights get the chance to have a childhood, and grow into healthy, rational adults. Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
I wholeheartedly agree, thanks Lauren, you make very good points!
They (kids) don't suddenly turn into human beings when they reach adult hood. Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
There is no guarantee that they will even turn into human being, and ample evidence to the contrary.
There is a staggeringly ignorant statement. Can we sell them into slavery? Eat them if we're hungry? Torture them pitilessly for our pleasure? Kill them for no reason whatsoever? Unless the answer to all of those questions is an unqualified yes, then you they should have some rights.