Is decarbonizing my valves as serious as the Ford guy makes it sound?

I was at the Ford dealership today and a service guy was telling me I need to decarbonize my valves.

He was trying to make it sound like it was some miracle fix and would help me regain lost horsepower.

Is this true?

They want $329.99 for the service.

As always - Thanks
  • r66
  • 11-02-2017, 08:54 PM
unless your car is burning oil or you are using crappy gas, I doubt your valves have any carbon deposits.
You got to be kidding!
I ran a 2004 Focus for ~250,000 miles

One time the Ford garage said I needed new brakes cause the pads were almost gone. Except they then found out they had no parts in stock. So then i took it to Firestone and they said 'your pads are fine nothing wrong with the brakes'

Of course I try to keep them honest by INSISTING all used parts are given back to me.

One could Google your type of engine and see if there isn't some odd ball about 'decarbonizing' valves
Rebuild many engines over the years and valves do get carbon deposits....but with top tier fuels you have lest issues.
I use BG 44k about twice a year and it works wonders.
This is easy to do.. if you use some strong fuel injector cleaner (get 2 bottle that can each treat 21-25 gallons) then use 2 of them once a month and do this for about 6-8 months if yo have never treated your fuel. After a car has about 20k miles on it, using 1 bottle a month will prevent carbon build up and can save you repairs.

normally these bottles will cost 5-9 dollars each but well worth it.
Have him change the muffler bearings and the binford while he's at it...should run like a raped spider monkey after that.
  • pxmcc
  • 11-03-2017, 02:59 AM
I thought this was some extended metaphor for some real kinky shit. sure Brooke, I'd love to carbonize your valves. Will you prime my pump while we're at it...
  • bbkid
  • 11-03-2017, 07:22 AM
Brooke, no. Complete waste of money. If you feel such a need, use some fuel additive to your next 3 or 4 FULL tanks of fuel and use a higher octane fuel than your normally use. Also, get it out out the highway as much as possible. With you being downtown, I think it's possible that you don't get it out on the open road as much as you should. Slow, city driving, does cause some degree of carbon buildup.
They want $329.99+Tax from you so they can put a $3.00 bottle of injector cleaner in your fuel tank!
Just curious as to what service you were getting done that required them to inspect your combustion chamber? I wouldn't be surprised if he also recommended the engine shampoo & flux capacitor tune.
I was at the Ford dealership today and a service guy was telling me I need to decarbonize my valves.

He was trying to make it sound like it was some miracle fix and would help me regain lost horsepower.

Is this true?

They want $329.99 for the service.

As always - Thanks
Originally Posted by Brooke Wilde

Go to "Pick Your Part"...you will find what you need there I'm sure. lol

but seriously you know too much about cars...I think it's time we went car shopping for a new one.
What bbkid said x 10
unless your car is burning oil or you are using crappy gas, I doubt your valves have any carbon deposits. Originally Posted by r66
Oh, no, no issues like that.

You got to be kidding!
I ran a 2004 Focus for ~250,000 miles

One time the Ford garage said I needed new brakes cause the pads were almost gone. Except they then found out they had no parts in stock. So then i took it to Firestone and they said 'your pads are fine nothing wrong with the brakes'

Of course I try to keep them honest by INSISTING all used parts are given back to me.

One could Google your type of engine and see if there isn't some odd ball about 'decarbonizing' valves Originally Posted by instfixer
250k before your break pads wore out? Built Ford Tough

Have him change the muffler bearings and the binford while he's at it...should run like a raped spider monkey after that. Originally Posted by TryWeakly
We've discussed this, I don't have a muffler, I have an exhaust, a dual exhaust

I thought this was some extended metaphor for some real kinky shit. sure Brooke, I'd love to carbonize your valves. Will you prime my pump while we're at it... Originally Posted by pxmcc
It does sound kinky

Brooke, no. Complete waste of money. If you feel such a need, use some fuel additive to your next 3 or 4 FULL tanks of fuel and use a higher octane fuel than your normally use. Also, get it out out the highway as much as possible. With you being downtown, I think it's possible that you don't get it out on the open road as much as you should. Slow, city driving, does cause some degree of carbon buildup. Originally Posted by bbkid
That sounds easy enough!

They want $329.99+Tax from you so they can put a $3.00 bottle of injector cleaner in your fuel tank!
Just curious as to what service you were getting done that required them to inspect your combustion chamber? I wouldn't be surprised if he also recommended the engine shampoo & flux capacitor tune. Originally Posted by MarcellusWalluz
I actually wasn't getting anything done service wise, I was just killing time while getting a window replaced and asked him what services he would recommend.

Go to "Pick Your Part"...you will find what you need there I'm sure. lol

but seriously you know too much about cars...I think it's time we went car shopping for a new one. Originally Posted by Sistine Chapel
Ha! As long as this new car is for you and you are not implying I trade my Mustang in
Rebuild many engines over the years and valves do get carbon deposits....but with top tier fuels you have lest issues.
I use BG 44k about twice a year and it works wonders. Originally Posted by bb1961
Never heard of that, I'll have to check it out.
Have any of y'all ever used this?

Years ago I had a car with 120k on it and it was making this annoying sound whenever the car just sat and idled, so I looked online and found this stuff, went to Wal-Mart and got it, put 1/2 in my oil and 1/2 in my tank as the bottle said to do and by the time I got home, (3 miles) the noise had stopped and never started again during the remaining time I owned the car.

oil.jpg
^I wouldn't put that in oil, it will thin it out. Your problem was probably sticking valves. I wouldn't worry about your stang, all major fuels have plenty of additives/detergents to help prevent carbon build up. Just don't get fuel from the cheap no-name stations. You could just add seafoam or chemtool to your fuel tank every couple of months to help.