The game of the century!

Now, I’m a Pittsburgh guy. Played basketball growing up in the 70’s. I remotely remembered the game, Houston against UCLA at the Dome. Alcindor vs The Big E. Over 50,0000 attended. Largest crowd ever to watch a basketball game. I’m watching a documentary on the game. It was awesome. Hayes had trouble at Houston trying to fit in from his small town roots in Louisiana. Alcindor was larger than life. As was UCLA. 1vs 2. Alcindor had an eye injury but was cleared to play. Hayes had 29 pts in the first half. More than most teams scored against UCLA in one half. The Big E and Houston won the game. UCLA won the NCAA Championship. Which they did the following year. They beat Houston by 32 points in the final four. Hayes said he never talked to Alcindor after the game. Even after years together in the NBA. Just wanted to share this with Houston fans. It was the start of big time college basketball and March madness. Good stuff.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/01/19...ars-later/amp/
Nobody had interest in Houston in this part of sports history? SMH.
Try the 1961 duel between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle of the New York Yankees, chasing the record held by Babe Ruth. Tremendous drama between the 2 individuals, the press, and the fans.

And Roger Maris is still not in the baseball hall of fame.

Most of the voters for the hall of fame are from the press, and there was a cold relationship between Maris and the press.
Now, I’m a Pittsburgh guy. Played basketball growing up in the 70’s. I remotely remembered the game, Houston against UCLA at the Dome. Alcindor vs The Big E. Over 50,0000 attended. Largest crowd ever to watch a basketball game. I’m watching a documentary on the game. It was awesome. Hayes had trouble at Houston trying to fit in from his small town roots in Louisiana. Alcindor was larger than life. As was UCLA. 1vs 2. Alcindor had an eye injury but was cleared to play. Hayes had 29 pts in the first half. More than most teams scored against UCLA in one half. The Big E and Houston won the game. UCLA won the NCAA Championship. Which they did the following year. They beat Houston by 32 points in the final four. Hayes said he never talked to Alcindor after the game. Even after years together in the NBA. Just wanted to share this with Houston fans. It was the start of big time college basketball and March madness. Good stuff.

https://www.dailynews.com/2018/01/19...ars-later/amp/ Originally Posted by bambino
The 1st game was in the Astrodome and UH won. UH lost the 2nd game, played in California. I was at the 1st game.
Try the 1961 duel between Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle of the New York Yankees, chasing the record held by Babe Ruth. Tremendous drama between the 2 individuals, the press, and the fans.

And Roger Maris is still not in the baseball hall of fame.

Most of the voters for the hall of fame are from the press, and there was a cold relationship between Maris and the press. Originally Posted by VitaMan
I’m very familiar with the Maris/Mantle duel. Not only was the press against Maris, so were the Yankee fans. They were behind Mantle. Mantle also was injured. While Maris was a solid player, his stats fall far short of HOF status:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/play...hp?p=marisro01

But I’m not sure what this has to do with the thread topic.
Your handle is bambino - that says it all.

Mantle was a loveable alcoholic, who liked to party. Maris was a quiet, small town guy.
Your handle is bambino - that says it all.

Mantle was a loveable alcoholic, who liked to party. Maris was a quiet, small town guy. Originally Posted by VitaMan
Here’s my favorite Yankee memory:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FE1nYMg-jU4

Maz sent Mickey back to the Bronx crying. Literally. While Mantle was a boozer, he’s still considered one of the best players ever. And he played on one good leg part of his career. Mantle was also from a small town in Oklahoma. Auggie Busch loved Maris. He set him up with a Budweiser master distributorship in Fla when he retired. Maybe he sent the Mick some Buds along the way. Back to Basketball, the Cougars may have had the most talented team ever and never won a championship. Phi Slamma Jamma.
Nobody had interest in Houston in this part of sports history? SMH. Originally Posted by bambino

You probably lost people with 'Pittsburgh guy'.

Just a thought.
You probably lost people with 'Pittsburgh guy'.

Just a thought. Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
Do yinz hold a grudge from the Oiler days? Tisk tisk.