New Astros Manager - Dusty Baker

A septuagenarian old school player and manager is now tasked with keeping the ship on an even keel?

He's managed some of the biggest collapses in MLB history.
He manages on instinct so throw sabermetrics out the window.
He's known as a player's manager.
Baker once said that getting runners on was unimportant and "merely clogged up the bases".

Can the youngish and successful team transition back to an old school style of play?

They will now need to choose a GM wisely. Someone who does embrace the statistics and will sign the right kind of players knowing that Baker is going to manage with his own style.
The Astros should have hired Jeff Bannister. The Rangers won a lot of games with him at the helm. He got the most out of marginal talent. I can only imagine what he could do with a talented team.
Baker was a horrible choice...our poor team
I agree that it was a horrible choice. I just lowered my expectations for next season.
Did they use smelling salts to wake his old ass up? Better stock the dugout with lots of ensure
At best, Astros 3rd place in AL West.

How the mighty have fallen.

dusty baker............give me a fucking break. I hate that toothpick chewing SOB.
At best, Astros 3rd place in AL West.

How the mighty have fallen.

dusty baker............give me a fucking break. I hate that toothpick chewing SOB. Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
lol yep... Evidently WE watch to much baseball to know that referance
Dusty Dusty Dusty Yay...lol and Hello "Claude"...lol
I agree OP. Baker is a piss poor choice.
  • bbkid
  • 01-30-2020, 10:30 AM
He's known as a player's manager. Originally Posted by boardman
That's what got the last manager FIRED. He wanted to be a "part of the good 'ol boys. Look where that got him!
They want to fire AJ last year but he kept winning.
  • Trey
  • 01-30-2020, 08:22 PM
Yeah the whole cheating thing ruined it. I was never that into baseball. But it was cool to have a WS team. Now not so much. I thought they should have lost the title. So I don't care as much if the guy sucks no one wants to see them make it anywhere in the next few years anyway.