What's better? Economy opening back up May 1st or stretching this out until no more new cases of covid-19?

Please vote yes or no and respectfully give your opinion.

Things to keep in mind-

*unemployment numbers
*election year
*total death toll and how it impacts healthcare system
*stock market
*missed mortgage and rent payments
*businesses closing
*increase/decrease crime rates
*mental health effects
*food shortages
*baby boom
*imports/exports
*school closures
*states rights
*airline travel
*elderly
I voted ' yes' but I am not so sure 1 May will be jumping the gun a tad but I am all for opening the economy up ' sooner rather than later' and my hope is quick. The risk is more may get sick and we might be tossing to quote someone on TV our Grandma and Grandpa under the bus for the good of the items on your list. I do not think anyone wants that to happen but if it does it does maybe me. I am 51, if for some reason opening the economy soon takes me out of the picture and I croak and am gone never to be heard from again so be it. I have lived a great life, seen and done just about all I wanted if it is my time to go and I am the chosen one to save the rest than Adios I go.

And if I don't get sent to the gates of hell and live than opening the economy means the airports will be sending the airlines up in to the sky; the sooner I get back to Europe.

' Live free or die'

Get those keys and start the engine, let's get the show on the road.
Don't get caught in what Greg Gutfield refers to as "The Prison Of Two Ideas." We should have allowed starting some businesses back up two weeks ago. Now I'm reading some govt officials are predicting a second and third wave in the months ahead. IMO opinion, they should have let the CV just work its way through the population.

Protect the schoolkids and the elderly. If we need to close again and re-reopen, lets do that. We've "bought the medical system more time."

Damn Kosher you're 10 years younger than me? Then I'm in great shape. Keep cheating the devil.
I agree. But I guess people would rather no one have a job. Lets all live on $1,200 a month and see how that goes.
We currently have 40,0000 cases of COVID-19. I Understand the issues with that number and how our lack of testing may skew that number. For practical numbers let's say the actual number is double at 850,000.

Since March 15 we have had 1,500,000 people file for unemployment, and it's ticking higher everyday.

The longer we stay home the worse it will be for the economy. If we reopen on May 1st it will likely be a blip. But, if we stay home till June, July, or later I suspect it will start to create layoff in industries that so far have been immune. Your more high income earners.

The other factor to consider, is I am tired of being at home. I'm ready to go out to eat, drink wine at my favorite Winery. At some point people are going to start ignoring the shelter in place.
I think in the larger cities it's going to be a decision that has to be made at the local level based on what's happening in the hospitals. If they're being overrun with covid patients to the point where they can't deal with all the usual gunshot victims, car wreck injuries and heart attacks, etc., people there may have to keep sheltering in place -- until the hospital folks can get ahead of the curve. Otherwise, you may not like it much if some idiot T-bones your car at an intersection, you're critically injured and your ambulance is delayed because they're all hauling covid patients who can't breathe. Talk to someone who works at a hospital. Most are not having many good days.
Afraid of dying and living too? Huh....
We currently have 40,0000 cases of COVID-19. I Understand the issues with that number and how our lack of testing may skew that number. For practical numbers let's say the actual number is double at 850,000.

Since March 15 we have had 1,500,000 people file for unemployment, and it's ticking higher everyday.

The longer we stay home the worse it will be for the economy. If we reopen on May 1st it will likely be a blip. But, if we stay home till June, July, or later I suspect it will start to create layoff in industries that so far have been immune. Your more high income earners.

The other factor to consider, is I am tired of being at home. I'm ready to go out to eat, drink wine at my favorite Winery. At some point people are going to start ignoring the shelter in place. Originally Posted by Fizley
if it's not up and running by memorial Day people are going to literally say f*** the shelter in place and it's going to be riots

They already took away spring break, then Easter, graduations, proms yeah memorial Day is one of the biggest holidays it signifies and start of summer people are not going to give a s*** and I believe they know that so is best for them if they go ahead and open the back up or the entire police force is going to be spent breaking up memorial Day cookouts.. God forbid an actual murder take place won't be anyone to solve it because police will be trying to stop people from eating f****** ribs and hot dogs
What NYC/NJ has been through, New Orleans, Detroit, Philly to a lesser extent/other cities as well.....the "hot spots", has been horrific to watch; you have to feel for the families of those who have been impacted with loss of life.

IMO, time to stop treating the entire USA like the NYC/NJ. I don't see the process of turning the country back on as simple as flipping a switch and saying all-in at the same time. May 1...or before, take the cuffs off/free up the economy where the data suggests /public health experts agree have minimal infection ratios. The government can't pick up the check much longer.
Time to get to what this country does best, “Make e Some Money”$$$$$
damn.. the open up by May crowd is leading.. ignorant fools.

this shit is only 3 weeks old. yet you are so ready to fuck caution to the wind, to Hell with what the virus has in store.

June 1st is realistic, if we all keep the distancing in place. that is not asking a lot. read, watch TV, listen to music.. take a walk. God Damn you people are spoiled.
I am ready! Tiered of being home, want to get back to the office, see my co-workers, sip my favorite wine at my favorite Winery, eat dinner at my favorite restaurant, and get a hair cut.

I am ready to get back to normal. Even if the shelter in place is extended, I have already found a place that will cut my hair Monday. It's only a matter of time before people start looking at the number of COVID-19 cases (4000 was the last number I heard) and start ignoring it.
damn.. the open up by May crowd is leading.. ignorant fools.

this shit is only 3 weeks old. yet you are so ready to fuck caution to the wind, to Hell with what the virus has in store.

June 1st is realistic, if we all keep the distancing in place. that is not asking a lot. read, watch TV, listen to music.. take a walk. God Damn you people are spoiled. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
I agree and disagree. I don't think the open in May crowd is a group of fools nor ignorant/spoiled. I think those who want to see the country open again are correct but as I stated I thought 1 May was too soon. The poll creator only gave two options, May 1 or wait for vaccine. Should have been a second option ' Open the country when the medical experts reach a consensus' or ' Stagger the opening of the economy May 1-31 and the balance the first of June. ( as Chung Tran mentioned, I agree)

I too believe there is some ignorance attached to fully opening 1 May.

I voted ' yes' but I am not so sure 1 May will be jumping the gun a tad but I am all for opening the economy up ' sooner rather than later' and my hope is quick. Originally Posted by KosherCowboy
However I do think certain steps can start at this time the beginning of May; baby steps right in tune w Austria and Germany. Problem is, we don't have masks for all our citizens, as they will require of all. So I agree, going in full 100% on at that time would be ignorant. However, for those who want to open the economy as I do it was the only choice given in the poll.

Pretty sad if you ask me given we are the most advanced country in the world. I was in HEB yesterday and saw masks made out of torn bed sheets, one guy with a sock wrapped around his head, another person used a coffee filter, several used bandanas and looked like bank robbers from the old west, an Orthodox Jewish man had destroyed a male head covering turned it in to a mask ( I myself did this last night grabbing one from my 30 year old belonging of junk ) among many other primitive ways. I also took two airline eye shade masks and put them together in a way to create a mask as well.

I think this country needs to find a way to create masks and get them distributed to us before they open the country up.
I am ready! Tiered of being home, want to get back to the office, see my co-workers, sip my favorite wine at my favorite Winery, eat dinner at my favorite restaurant, and get a hair cut.

I am ready to get back to normal. Even if the shelter in place is extended, I have already found a place that will cut my hair Monday. It's only a matter of time before people start looking at the number of COVID-19 cases (4000 was the last number I heard) and start ignoring it. Originally Posted by Fizley

I wanna know where this haircut place is. PM me, lol
One size never fits all...A gradual loosening of restrictions between now and Memorial Day, based on where you live, and how the curve is flattening, is probably the ideal way to do it. Listen to the real pros, not the talking heads.