Maher panel blasts 'cancel culture': It's a form of 'social murder' Joseph Wulfsohn 10 hrs ago

• oeb11
  • 08-01-2020, 11:17 AM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...rcH?li=BBnb7Kz

Former New York Times opinion editor Bari Weiss and Harper's Magazine columnist Thomas Chatterton Williams appeared on "Real Time with Bill Maher" on Friday to explain the open letter they penned decrying "cancel culture."
Earlier this month, Chatterton spearheaded a letter signed by prominent liberals including "Harry Potter" author J.K. Rowling, political activist Noam Chomsky, and feminist icon Gloria Steinem, all defending open debate without fear of repercussions for expressing a point of view.
As Bill Maher noted, the letter faced heavy criticism from the left.
"What strikes me about it is the pushback is coming from liberals and almost everyone who signs this letter ... is a liberal!" Maher exclaimed. "Bari, the fact that you -- they call you a centrist or right-winger! I mean, if a hip, millennial, Jewish bisexual girl living in San Francisco is not a liberal ... who is these days?"

Weiss called the open letter a "warning cry from inside the institutions" and linked cancel culture to "social murder."

BARI WEISS: TWITTER NOW 'EDITOR' OF NY TIMES, PAPER 'LIVING IN FEAR OF AN ONLINE MOB'
"What we're trying to say with the letter -- and what Thomas did in forming it -- was saying what's happening now with this growing culture of illiberalism is different from criticism," Weiss explained. "Thomas and I, you, Bill, we're used to criticism. Criticism is kosher in the work that we do. Criticism is great. What cancel culture is about is not criticism. It is about punishment. It is about making a person radioactive. It is about taking away their job."
"It's not just about punishing the sinner, it's not just about punishing the person for being insufficiently pure. It's about this sort of secondary boycott of people who would deign to speak to that person or appear on a platform with that person. And we see just very obviously where that kind of politics gets us. If conversation with people that we disagree with becomes impossible, what is the way that we solve conflict?... It's violence."
Weiss went on to claim that politics has become a "religious identity" for many Americans, pointing to the "worship" of those who support President Trump and how on the left "to be anything less than 'Defund the police'... makes you something like a heretic."
NEW YORK TIMES GUILD MOCKED FOR REQUESTING 'SENSITIVITY READS' IN ITS PUBLICATION PROCESS
"That's an enormous problem because what it's meant is the collapse of moderates. It's meant the collapse of the center and the retribalization of this country and the whole deal with this country, the reason that it's exceptional with all of its flaws is because we depart from history," Weiss told Maher. "We say that clannishness, tribalism, that we can overcome that, that there's something bigger than lineage or kin or the political tribe we belong to. And I think what we're seeing right now, and it's a very scary moment, is a kind of returning to the mean of history. And I think it is up to us to defend the ideas that made this country unique and a departure of history."
Chatterton stressed that "cancellation" isn't about "bringing down elites back to earth" but what he describes as an "onlooker effect" that stifles open discussion.
He went on to trash so-called anti-racism books by Robin DiAngelo and Ibram X Kendi, which he suggested will only increase the racial divide.

"We are in danger of really reinvesting in the idea that race is real and that it cannot be escaped, that it is a fundamental category that defines us, that White people are essentially different from Black people," Chatterton said. "And we're in danger of making people living today -- we're creating a world where everyone alive today is a representative of thoughts and misdeed and circumstances of their ancestors. And that's not a world that I want to create."
Weiss later praised Trader Joe's, which recently responded to a petition calling for the renaming of products deemed offensive by flatly rejected the demands, calling the company's response a "profile in courage."
"You're right. That's what we need more of," Maher agreed. "Being able to speak freely is the lifeblood not only of democracy, of really just our way of life."

Rarely can i agree With dyed in the wool liberal maher - but Bari Weiss is correct in her criticism.

and- criticism is something not tolerable to the DPST's - at all!
They reject debate, discussion, and moving toward compromise.

It is marxism or the highway to destroy anyone of a different viewpoint to the DPST's.

9500 and ilk - take a read , and read Bari Weiss article upon her resignation from the NY Times - the paper is now a propaganda tool of the radical leftists.

And a thought /idea - the 'cancel culture is not only social murder, but propagated 'racism' - the rallying call of OBLM and AntiFa radicals to paint anyone of a different opinion as racists. They are fear mongering terrorists trying to browbeat middle of the road Americans into compliance out of fear.

This is also its own racism - which not confined to white males only - as OBLM would have One believe - Theirs is a radical marxist and Racist roganization.

As is the DPST party these days!
LSM and liberal retards will ignore
So then.. we're going to stop complaining about athletes taking knees, right? We're gonna stop burning jerseys and boycotting products, right?

Because... we'd hate to be part of "cancel culture", right?
So then.. we're going to stop complaining about athletes taking knees, right? We're gonna stop burning jerseys and boycotting products, right?

Because... we'd hate to be part of "cancel culture", right? Originally Posted by Grace Preston
I hope so. AOC shouldn’t be boycotting Goya products.

Because... we'd hate to be part of "cancel culture", right? Originally Posted by Grace Preston

You've got a point ( as you often do ) but I believe your point, misses the point if we are talking about a matter of degrees and I am. You've pointed out perhaps the only cancel culture from the right. The cancel culture from the left is all encompassing. The list of grievances is a mile long compared to being punished for not "respecting" the flag and anthem. Who has been fired besides Colin Kaperknick? On what other issue does the hard right want you fired, have your life ruined if you don't submit? And have they had any success? I would argue no, they haven't. Has the left had any success? Let me count the ways.

By comparison, IMHO, the left owns the cancel culture and is wielding it like a sword on every cultural matter one can think of.

Things are so flipped around now white people should be protesting all the shit the government does and black people should defend the flag.

I wish we would cancel the constant bickering over skin color and no longer allow skin color to determine anything. If that means 90% of the Ivy League is Asian and 95% of the NBA is black, but the board of Amazon is all white - then tough shit, it's all legal and acceptable.

In the meantime, while we are all fighting each other the Asian people continue to work harder and get richer and better educated.

Always thought the difference between that and "cancel culture" was...

Boycott: "I am taking my money elsewhere, but you can remain in business for those who will still patronize you."
Cancel Culture: "We are not going to allow you to give them business. The choice is out of your hands."
But see.. that's false. Cancel culture is really the same animal as the boycotts-- nobody can "force" anyone to shut down. I get grief all the time for my love of Chic-Fil-A... but my ass is still gonna get some nugs regardless.

Goya is garbage.. only products worth a damn are their nectars.. .everything else can be had better.. for cheaper.

I personally don't give a flying fuck about boycotts in general-- but its important to note that "cancel culture" happens all the damn time on both sides (Dixie Chicks, anyone?) Its just like when folks complain about liberal actors making political statements-- but cheer statements made by James Wood, Chuck Woolery, Kid Rock, etc.... I don't give a damn who or what you support-- just be consistent.
But see.. that's false. Cancel culture is really the same animal as the boycotts-- nobody can "force" anyone to shut down. I get grief all the time for my love of Chic-Fil-A... but my ass is still gonna get some nugs regardless.

Goya is garbage.. only products worth a damn are their nectars.. .everything else can be had better.. for cheaper.

I personally don't give a flying fuck about boycotts in general-- but its important to note that "cancel culture" happens all the damn time on both sides (Dixie Chicks, anyone?) Its just like when folks complain about liberal actors making political statements-- but cheer statements made by James Wood, Chuck Woolery, Kid Rock, etc.... I don't give a damn who or what you support-- just be consistent. Originally Posted by Grace Preston

cancel culture is not that prevalent on the right. that might have more to do with snooty elitism with certain people.
Cancel Culture = me too=social justice warriors , we are not going to change anything following laws ( the correct way) we are just gonna tell you ( we will see how that works out its like tell a kid not to touch .
just pushes hate and division oh the hypocrisy

That depends on whether you are saying something in your private life or acting as a spokesman, doesn't it?

Canceling some college student over a Facebook comment or boycotting a company because an employee made an off-color joke in an e-mail is overkill and unjustified.

But if you attend a sporting event looking for entertainment and get a political lecture instead, it isn't really unexpected if you stay home instead.

Look at it this way - there is a HUGE difference between hearing that the owner of a restaurant chain donated money to a pro-abortion organization (or a pro-life organization) and visiting that restaurant and having all of the employees advocating for the owner's views or seeing a lot of signage advocating the owner's views. One scenario doesn't affect your visits to the restaurant. The other makes your visits to the restaurant unpleasant.
Mel Gibson, meet cancel culture ..

Mel Gibson Is Fired From Movie After Winona Ryder Accuses Him of Calling Her a Jewish ‘Oven Dodger’

https://www.upliftingtoday.com/2020/...ergnet_5374274

Gibson has been accused of anti-semitism in the past, most notably during a DUI arrest back in 2006, when he was accused of hurling racist slurs at officers.

Written By Mark Baker
on Jun 27, 2020

Earlier this week, we reported that actress Winona Ryder had accused Hollywood star Mel Gibson of hurling an anti-semitic joke at her back in the 1990s. This has since come back to haunt Gibson, as he has been fired from an upcoming movie.

Sources close to the situation told The Wrap that Gibson’s role in the upcoming Netflix sequel to the cartoon movie Chicken Run will be recast. Gibson had played the character of Rocky in the 2000 movie, and he was set to play the character again in the sequel before this story of his alleged anti-semitism came to light.

This comes after Ryder recounted the alleged incident, which she said took place at a Hollywood party back in 1995.

“We were at a crowded party with one of my good friends, and Mel Gibson was smoking a cigar, and we’re all talking and he said to my friend, who’s gay, ‘Oh wait, am I gonna get AIDS?’ And then something came up about Jews, and he said, ‘You’re not an oven dodger, are you?’” Ryder told The Sunday Times. “I’d never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment. I was like, ‘He’s anti-Semitic and he’s homophobic.’ No one believed me!”

Gibson has denied that this incident ever took place.

“This is 100% untrue,” a rep for Gibson told TooFab. “She lied about it over a decade ago, when she talked to the press, and she’s lying about it now. Also, she lied about him trying to apologize to her back then. He did reach out to her, many years ago, to confront her about her lies and she refused to address it with him.”

Ryder, however, stood by her story in a statement to Fox News:
“I believe in redemption and forgiveness and hope that Mr. Gibson has found a healthy way to deal with his demons, but I am not one of them. Around 1996, my friend Kevyn Aucoin and I were on the receiving end of his hateful words. It is a painful and vivid memory for me. Only by accepting responsibility for our behavior in this life, can we make amends and truly respect each other, and I wish him well on this lifelong journey.”
Gibson has been accused of anti-semitism in the past, most notably during a DUI arrest back in 2006, when he was accused of hurling racist slurs at officers.

Ryder's credibility isn't so good. Mel's either but considering Mel is worth north of 400 M or more he's probably not hurting to lose this voice acting gig.

little Winnie won't need to be shoplifting these days with reports stating she's got 18 million herself.
Are you supporting Gibson, sir?