Black Education Tragedy Is New

This is Walter Williams's last article. he submitted this the day he died. it was published the next day.

https://townhall.com/columnists/thom...62020-n2580965

Black Education Tragedy Is New

Walter E. Williams|Posted: Dec 02, 2020 12:01 AM

The opinions expressed by columnists are their own and do not necessarily represent the views of Townhall.com.

Editor's Note:Earlier today, Townhall.com learned that Dr. Walter E. Williams passed away at the age of 84. Dr. Williams' columns have appeared on Townhall.com for more than 25 years. The world has lost a kind man, a brilliant mind, and a fearless conservative. Our thoughts and prayers are with his friends and family.

Rest in Peace, Dr. Walter E. Williams.

---

Several years ago, Project Baltimore began an investigation of Baltimore's school system. What they found was an utter disgrace. In 19 of Baltimore's 39 high schools, out of 3,804 students, only 14 of them, or less than 1%, were proficient in math. In 13 of Baltimore's high schools, not a single student scored proficient in math. In five Baltimore City high schools, not a single student scored proficient in math or reading. Despite these academic deficiencies, about 70% of the students graduate and are conferred a high school diploma -- a fraudulent high school diploma.

The Detroit Public Schools Community District scored the lowest in the nation compared to 26 other urban districts for reading and mathematics at the fourth- and eighth-grade levels. A recent video captures some of this miseducation in Milwaukee high schools: In two city high schools, only one student tested proficient in math and none are proficient in English. Yet, the schools spent a full week learning about "systemic racism" and "Black Lives Matter activism." By the way, a Nov. 19, 2020, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article asks: "How many Black teachers did you have? I've only had two." The article concludes, "For future Black students, that number needs to go up." New York City is one of many school systems in the United States set to roll out Black Lives Matter-themed lesson plans. According to the NYC Department of Education, teachers will delve into "systemic racism," police brutality and white privilege in their classrooms.

Should we blame this education tragedy on racial discrimination or claim that it is a legacy of slavery? Dr. Thomas Sowell's research in "Education: Assumptions Versus History" documents academic excellence at Baltimore's Frederick Douglass High School and others. This academic excellence occurred during the late 1800s to mid-1900s, an era when blacks were much poorer than today and faced gross racial discrimination. Frederick Douglass High School of yesteryear produced many distinguished alumni, such as Thurgood Marshall and Cab Calloway, and several judges, congressmen and civil rights leaders. Frederick Douglass High School was second in the nation in black Ph.Ds. among its alumni.

Also, in Sowell's "Education: Assumptions Versus History" is the story of Paul Laurence Dunbar High School, a black public school in Washington, D.C. As early as 1899, its students scored higher on citywide tests than any of the city's white schools. From its founding in 1870 to 1955, most of its graduates went off to college. Dunbar's distinguished alumni include U.S. Sen. Edward Brooke, physician Charles Drew and, during World War II, nearly a score of majors, nine colonels and lieutenant colonels, and a brigadier general. Today's Paul Laurence Dunbar and Frederick Douglass high schools have material resources that would have been unimaginable to their predecessors. However, having those resources have meant absolutely nothing in terms of academic achievement.

If we accept the notion that rotten education is not preordained, then I wonder when the black community will demand an end to an educational environment that condemns so many youngsters to mediocrity. You can bet the rent money that white liberals and high-income blacks would not begin to accept the kind of education for their children that most blacks receive.

The school climate, seldom discussed, plays a very important role in education. During the 2017-18 school year, there were an estimated 962,300 violent incidents and 476,100 nonviolent incidents in U.S. public schools nationwide. Schools with 1,000 or more students had at least one sworn law enforcement officer. About 90% of those law enforcement officers carry firearms. Aside from violence, there are many instances of outright disrespect for teachers. First- and second-graders telling teachers to "Shut the f--- up" and calling teachers "b---h."

Years ago, much of the behavior of young people that we see today would have never been tolerated. There was the vice principal's office where corporal punishment would be administered for gross infractions. If the kid was unwise enough to tell his parents what happened, he might get more punishment at home. Today, unfortunately, we have replaced practices that worked with practices that sound good and caring. And we are witnessing the results.

Walter E. Williams is a professor of economics at George Mason University.
The ignorance begins at home and it's a never ending cycle of Victim Mentality. For all Races, some more than most. People choose to live where they do, they know the schools their kids are zoned to. And those Teachers know how crappy that school is, yet they accept the position. I don't feel sorry for them.

Get off your ass and make a better life for your family and BE a better example as a Parent. And YES, that usually requires a fucking College Degree. Everyone always has an excuse though, the cycle never ends, the breeding on Government Assistance continues and becomes their way of life. I make sure to live as far away from that shit as possible
Im gonna have to read up on Dr. Williams
Read up.

Is that a verb?
You've done it again, dilby. I'm going to have to look for the video. Check back on the thread.

Thanks, by the way.
This might not be exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm still doing the research. Thanks again. For being so dumb.

Education system is just a symptom.

NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMISSON ON CIVIL DISORDERS

. . . . The only genuine, long-range solution for what has happened lies in an attack - mounted at every level - upon the conditions that breed despair and violence. All of us know what those conditions are: ignorance, discrimination, slums, poverty, disease, not enough jobs. We should attack these condistions - not because we are frightened by conflict, but we are fired by conscience. We should attack them because there is simply no other way to achieve a decent and orderly society in America . . . .

Lyndon Baines Johnson
Address to the Nation
June 27, 1967

New closing image inspired by dilbert firestorm.

Will post video if found before game time. Here we go!

Thank you, Mrs. Beane.
You've done it again, dilby. I'm going to have to look for the video. Check back on the thread.

Thanks, by the way. Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
did what again? can you elaborate?
New closing image inspired by dilbert firestorm.

Will post video if found before game time. Here we go! Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
whats the point of the image? I don't get it.
This might not be exactly what I'm looking for, but I'm still doing the research. Thanks again. For being so dumb.

Education system is just a symptom.

NATIONAL ADVISORY COMMISSON ON CIVIL DISORDERS
Quote:
. . . . The only genuine, long-range solution for what has happened lies in an attack - mounted at every level - upon the conditions that breed despair and violence. All of us know what those conditions are: ignorance, discrimination, slums, poverty, disease, not enough jobs. We should attack these condistions - not because we are frightened by conflict, but we are fired by conscience. We should attack them because there is simply no other way to achieve a decent and orderly society in America . . . .

Lyndon Baines Johnson
Address to the Nation
June 27, 1967
Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
LBJ, now that guy was a class act. he perfected the art of moving his lips while absolutely doing nothing for black people. in fact, made it worse for them.

you do realize that a majority of black people never got a decent education that white people take for granted at their schools since 1967 (even before 1967). 1967 black condition is pretty much the same as 2020 black condition.

successful black people appear to be outliers because they went to good black schools that employed discipline in the classroom.

Due to racism of this period, this discipline technique wasn't extended to poor black schools during the jim crow era. so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that blacks can't be "taught" and that they're 'less than humans'.
LBJ, now that guy was a class act. he perfected the art of moving his lips while absolutely doing nothing for black people. in fact, made it worse for them.

you do realize that a majority of black people never got a decent education that white people take for granted at their schools since 1967 (even before 1967). 1967 black condition is pretty much the same as 2020 black condition.

successful black people appear to be outliers because they went to good black schools that employed discipline in the classroom.

Due to racism of this period, this discipline technique wasn't extended to poor black schools during the jim crow era. so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that blacks can't be "taught" and that they're 'less than humans'. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm

This isn't the video I was referring to but:

July 27, 1967: Speech to the Nation on Civil Disorders

https://millercenter.org/the-preside...ivil-disorders

You did it again. Proven yourself to be dumb. A notch below stupid. But far from idiot.

If you consider signing the Voting Rights Act into law as "absolutely nothing", then either you are goading me into a heated fight, or you made up that last notch. Sir.

Either way, I have to step away from my little stroll here at half time. It's taken too much of my time.

The Voting Rights Act at 50: How the Law Came to Be

https://time.com/3985603/voting-righ...-1965-history/

According to research by the National Park Service, in Mississippi literacy tests asked questions like “how many bubbles are in a bar of soap?”

When these sneaky laws were in place, black voter registration and participation plummeted throughout the south. According to the Constitutional Rights Foundation, in Mississippi alone the percentage of black voting-age men who were registered to vote fell from 90% during the Reconstruction period after the 15th Amendment’s passage to about 6% in 1892.

I wonder how you learned it was LBJ.

"Spanish for, "the blowjob."" Dennis Miller.

Due to racism of this period, this discipline technique wasn't extended to poor black schools during the jim crow era. so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that blacks can't be "taught" and that they're 'less than humans'. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8z8SKMo2e4

Both of you.
Originally Posted by eccieuser9500

you need this more than i do. lol
Both of you. Originally Posted by eccieuser9500
University of Texas is a public university. they shouldn't be engaging in discrimination using racial quotas in favoring blacks over other ethnic groups.

this is for you.

wait.. what do you mean both of me?