Are the Russians Threatening to Down Our Space Station?

The Russians are beginning to sound like First Graders as they whine about "things" others have that are nice and they want to destroy and trash it, because they don't have "one"!

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...over-sanctions

Russian space chief threatens International Space Station over sanctions
Apparently, they believe Bitten gives a fuck about the U.S. space program. Obaminable didn't by turning it into an Islamic educational institution for educating new Islamic family members on space travel! Bitten learned well under his "mentor" Obaminable (in addition to seeing how to kiss the Russian's ass at every turn!). So that's ok?
That thing is nearing the end of its useful life.
Time for the US to get a new one up there.
Frankly, overdue.
But, current admin does not have the foresight to even get a new program started.
When did the United States get a space station? We have an International Space station which mostly uses Russian craft to get to. I'd love to see a US space station again. Ten times bigger with a couple of advanced shuttles in residence and a crew of several dozens.

And (listening to Putin) some kind of defensive system for dictator's missiles and alien invaders.
When did the United States get a space station? We have an International Space station which mostly uses Russian craft to get to. I'd love to see a US space station again. Ten times bigger with a couple of advanced shuttles in residence and a crew of several dozens.

And (listening to Putin) some kind of defensive system for dictator's missiles and alien invaders. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Sir, I sued the term advisedly. Please revisit the history of the U.S. space program and the U.S. government with respect to the Russian space program. First: The Russians were trained at Nasa (Houston). In the mid 90's I had the occasion to visit with a couple of Russian astronauts working/learning/TRAINING at Nasa, but they were "off campus" and were actually down at Galveston beach with a couple of new rental Fords to match admiring them under the hood. Nice guys.

Secondly, the U.S. LOANED the Russians the money to build their part of the space station and paid for the transportation costs and development of the vehicles to do the transporting. But like "Lend Lease" those "loans" and investments get forgotten. The Soviets/Russians couldn't even build a shuttle by themselves. As is regularly reported today the Russian economy is about that of Texas. They can't afford a space program. If they could they would. That's why they talk about trashing it. But they think Bitten gives a shit, but he probably forgot about the space station.

The same with the nuclear plant disaster. U.S. cleaned it up. And we'll end up cleaning up Ukraine. Hide and watch.

As for "some kind" of system, .... that's the sort of project that maintains a secure distance level from others who might wish to defeat it...or openly discuss it to our detriment.
Frankly, overdue.
But, current admin does not have the foresight to even get a new program started. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
People say that about me, too! I don't pay attention to it.
OMG! A typo! Does that make Vman happy?

As to the International Space station, we always pay but we (like fools) don't own. For those who don't know any better, I want them to know that there is no American flag on the side of the that space station.
OMG! A typo! Does that make Vman happy?

As to the International Space station, we always pay but we (like fools) don't own. For those who don't know any better, I want them to know that there is no American flag on the side of the that space station. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Apparently at least one Russian perceives the U.S. is THE OWNER!

(But he also perceives the Russians have absolute control over it!)

As for any typo ... "VM" is not qualified to whine about it. FYI!

I've already been an English professor! HAHAHAHAHA I know the difference!
People say that about me, too! I don't pay attention to it. Originally Posted by LexusLover
I'll say this LL;
you are useful for stirring up entertainment.
  • WTF
  • 03-13-2022, 01:53 PM
First: The Russians were trained at Nasa (Houston). In the mid 90's I had the occasion to visit with a couple of Russian astronauts working/learning/TRAINING at Nasa, but they were "off campus" and were actually down at Galveston beach with a couple of new rental Fords to match admiring them under the hood. Nice guys.

. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Next you'll tell us Jack Nicholson trained at your house to prepare for Terms of Endearment

Lawyer:Astronaut consultant: Katrina coordinator here in Houston Astrodome; English Professor: Prosecutor : Parking ticket coordinator at the University of Texas...

My, my you've had a busy life
Frankly, overdue.
But, current admin does not have the foresight to even get a new program started. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter

not so sure it's used up or not but the point moot. the station only exists at all because of the space shuttle. once the US decided to end the shuttle program it did effectively put an expiration date on the station. and without the shuttle or a heavy lift rocket approaching the lifting power of the Saturn V how would we build a new one?

the two shuttle disasters were tragic but avoidable. certainly the first one, the later one more complicated but not impossible to avoid.

the reason for the first one was NASA under pressure to make the launch window. they ignored Morton Thiokol who warned NASA the rubber O rings they made for the boosters weren't rated for use at freezing temperatures and thus one failed. while that O ring or just about any other part can fail at any time the odds that O ring would have failed if they had simply waited a few days for warmer weather (this is Florida after all) then the odds go down significantly.

the second was a structural failure of the shuttle itself. you could argue the shuttle's heat tiles could have been better inspected and maintained before the launch. even replaced regularly due to the critical nature of them. of course this takes time and money. once in space a repair like that is considerably more difficult but not entirely impossible. problem was .. they didn't have the materials to try it.

at this point i note that it was a debris strike that caused the tile failure during launch that caused this. that said it's possible a more aggressive maintenance program "might" have allowed the tiles to survive the strike.

last, NASA ultimately determined there was no risk. there had been incidents in prior missions without failure. well that's like driving a car with high miles and then one day it does break down.

as i recall because NASA determined there was no risk for reentry no attempt for a rescue was made. it was considered. the space station was habitable at the time albeit smaller than its final version. housing 7 astronauts might have been possible for long enough to send either one shuttle to get them all or several capsules to get them. and the damaged shuttle itself could have been used as shelter awaiting a rescue.
Didn’t Putin hint that they could leave our Astronaut stranded? The
The Russians are beginning to sound like First Graders as they whine about "things" others have that are nice and they want to destroy and trash it, because they don't have "one"!

https://thehill.com/policy/internati...over-sanctions

Apparently, they believe Bitten gives a fuck about the U.S. space program. Obaminable didn't by turning it into an Islamic educational institution for educating new Islamic family members on space travel! Bitten learned well under his "mentor" Obaminable (in addition to seeing how to kiss the Russian's ass at every turn!). So that's ok? Originally Posted by LexusLover
Never heard of Bitten.....
Didn’t Putin hint that they could leave our Astronaut stranded? The Originally Posted by Jackie S

yes but he can't. he's just rattling his sabre. so he won't send a rocket up. how's he gonna stop E Musk from doing it? shoot the rocket down? not.

as LL pointed out the space station is really the US space station. forget this fiction "International Space Station". was it an international effort? of course. who was the big player especially with the shuttle that made it possible? the US.

the space station wouldn't exist today without the US. FACT.

no one else could have done it even combining their efforts without the US and the shuttle.

i say the US should find a way to get rid of them russkies on the station. and never let them back on. for now i'd stop short from simply throwing them out the air lock. bahhahaa.
Didn’t Putin hint that they could leave our Astronaut stranded? The Originally Posted by Jackie S
The head of the Russian "space program" ... but he probably doesn't fart without Putin's approval. So he just farted! To me the point is:

The Russians under Putin's "leadership" are apparently willing to destroy everything, including projects with a positive mission and positive/informative goal and production....aka real science. Not FAUCI, who is nothing more than a loudmouth government suckling.

To avoid more death and destruction the U.S. would have to destroy the station while it was still in orbit and on a "launch" from orbit mode so it would float out in space before it is destructed.

Whoever suggested replacing it ... needs to recognize that a "space station" does not fall within the most recent definition of "infrastructure" because it has nothing to do with social manipulation and experimentation based on the color of a person's skin or what gender they were feeling like being when they woke up in the morning.

Besides ... I don't think they have anyone with big enough balls to sit on the top of rockets day in and day out to go up there and build another one.
Sorry LLMan,

You sure are melting down today. Relax and enjoy a Quacker. It’ll make everybody feel a little better.