Protecting Parents Rights

House GOP passes parents’ rights school bill after AOC, Dems cry ‘fascism’

House Republicans voted overwhelmingly to pass an education bill aimed at protecting parental rights on Friday despite outcry from Democrats like Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who likened the law to “fascism.”

The GOP passed the Parents Bill of Rights Act in a 213-208 vote, with just five Republicans opposing the measure. No Democrats voted in favor of the bill.

“This bill is not complex or complicated,” said Rep. Julia Letlow (R-La.), who authored the bill and defended it Thursday from the House floor.

“Nor should it be partisan or polarizing and contrary to what you may hear from my colleagues on the other side of the aisle, it is not an attack on our hard-working teachers, who will always be the heroes in my eyes.”

The Parents Bill of Rights — which has been championed by House Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) and was the brainchild of GOP conference chairwoman Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-NY) — would require public schools to disclose all curricula, reading lists, library books and budget costs, as well as force administrators and teachers to seek parents’ consent before changing a child’s gender status.

“Parents are the primary stakeholders in their child’s education, and House Republicans are working to protect their right to know what is going on inside their child’s classroom,” Stefanik said in a statement after the bill passed.

Letlow added that the bill was “not an attempt to have Congress dictate their curriculum, or determine the books in the library.”

“Instead, this bill aims to bring more transparency and accountability to education, allowing parents to be informed and when they have questions and concerns, to lawfully bring them to their local school boards,” she said.

The law makes good on a campaign promise from the House speaker that his Republican majority would keep education issues at the forefront of its governing strategy.

more

https://nypost.com/2023/03/24/house-...-cry-fascism/?
Can anyone give one good reason why not a single Democrat is in favor of protecting parent's rights?

I mean, how can they all be against a bill that simply:

1. Ensures access to teacher-parent meetings
2. Ensures access on a publicly available website school budget materials, curriculum and books
3. Ensures parents have the opportunity to testify before a school board
4. Require administrators and teachers to seek parents’ consent before changing a child’s gender status
5. Establish that a parent has the right to know whether their child’s school allows transgender "girls" to play on sports teams that don’t match the gender a student was given at birth.
6. Establish that a parent must be informed if a school allows boys who claim they are girls to use women's restrooms and changing rooms
7. Ensures parents have the right to be notified of any violent activity at school.

These are all common sense measures any parent should want and demand. And yet not a single Democrat is in favor of any of these. Unreal
I don't have a problem with being aware of any of the above, but once parents votes outweigh those of teachers who are developing a teaching protocol, you've got mayhem ready to pounce. Management by committee never ends in consensus. But the reality is that it's usually only a small handful of classes where civics or history is being manipulated towards favor of ideology. Most lower level classes under 10th grade or college level even, are not experiencing the demonized CRT or racial injustices. I have no problem with parents voicing a concern or complaint but how does any school make every student and parent happy? They can't. Every Karen and Ken start yelling about lawsuits and attorneys, blah blah blah. Once they took out paddling from schools they took away the teacher being in charge of a classroom. My time in school from the 70s would be so abstract to today's, I'm sure it would seem like I landed on an alien planet.
I don't have a problem with being aware of any of the above, but once parents votes outweigh those of teachers who are developing a teaching protocol, you've got mayhem ready to pounce. Originally Posted by RegeCordick
Who is the customer here and who is the employee?
Never forget that parents as taxpayers pay for the schools to operate. Teachers are just employees. Parents should absolutely have the right to know what their students are being taught and have the ability to speak out to the school board about it. That is not management by committee but rather a shareholder weighing in on a business. And if the school board is not responsive to the needs of their customers, they should be voted out

Think about it another way. Would you go to a restaurant, pay for a steak and the waitress says too bad, I decided you get liver and onions instead?

Teachers are employees, nothing more.

But the reality is that it's usually only a small handful of classes where civics or history is being manipulated towards favor of ideology. Most lower level classes under 10th grade or college level even, are not experiencing the demonized CRT or racial injustices. Originally Posted by RegeCordick
This may be the case in some schools but certainly is not the case in other schools. You would be shocked what some of these schools push on students. And that is part of the issue. Again, parents should have a right to know what is being taught and a right to weigh in to the board. And if enough people weigh in, the board needs to choose how to act. That is why we get to vote to elect the school board - to represent the parents and taxpayers.
... Absolutely.

And parents also have the RIGHT to attend school board meetings
and surely voice their complaints and concerns. ...

And of course TO VOTE in the school elections.

#### Salty
The "my taxes pay your salary" crowd really are a bunch of snowflake Karens
The "my taxes pay your salary" crowd really are a bunch of snowflake Karens Originally Posted by HDGristle
... I fancy the parents who believe they are
the CEOs of the company.
And the schoolhouse teachers are THEIR employees.

If the teachers don't like it - then they'd surely
better seek work elsewhere.
Another school district or another towne.

#### Salty
They aren't the CEO. The teachers don't work for parents. And the teachers don't have to like it.

If the parents don't like it, they can seek schools elsewhere or do the job themselves. They can move to another school district or town.

That old Australian goose and gander flipperoo
The "my taxes pay your salary" crowd really are a bunch of snowflake Karens Originally Posted by HDGristle
Of course, only you would have an issue with facts. Public schools are funded by the taxpayers. Teachers are simply employees in schools funded by parents / taxpayers. So yes, taxpayers are the ones paying teacher's salaries.

Are you really implying teachers should not be accountable?

Which part of these parental rights do you disagree with and why?

2. Ensures access on a publicly available website school budget materials, curriculum and books
4. Require administrators and teachers to seek parents’ consent before changing a child’s gender status
5. Establish that a parent has the right to know whether their child’s school allows transgender "girls" to play on sports teams that don’t match the gender a student was given at birth.
6. Establish that a parent must be informed if a school allows boys who claim they are girls to use women's restrooms and changing rooms
7. Ensures parents have the right to be notified of any violent activity at school.
... I fancy the parents who believe they are
the CEOs of the company.
And the schoolhouse teachers are THEIR employees.

If the teachers don't like it - then they'd surely
better seek work elsewhere.
Another school district or another towne.

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
Not the CEO Salty - more like shareholders

If you equate it to a corporation:

The taxpayers are the shareholders who elect the Board.
The Board is accountable to the taxpayers.
The Board hires a Superintendent who in your analogy would equate to the CEO

But Gristle is trying to deflect the issue with this sideshow rather than addressing the main issue of why not a single Democrat is in favor of protecting parent's rights?

Every measure proposed is a common sense measures any parent should want and demand. And yet not a single Democrat is in favor of any of these. Unreal.
Stakeholders, not shareholders. And there is accountability to stakeholders. But you would conflate the two despite the intrinsic lack of ownership.

You also seem to think you have an ownership claim or interest in government funds (tax revenue). Sadly incorrect. You don't. By all means keep pretending otherwise, though.
Stakeholders, not shareholders. And there is accountability to stakeholders. But you would conflate the two despite the intrinsic lack of ownership.

You also seem to think you have an ownership claim or interest in government funds (tax revenue). Sadly incorrect. You don't. By all means keep pretending otherwise, though. Originally Posted by HDGristle
It was an analogy. Not sure how you did not understand that.

But again, you are trying to take the thread off track and avoid the main point which is

Why do no democrats in Congress support parental rights?
Which part of these parental rights do you disagree with and why?

I would like to see anyone defend the entire democrat party coming out AGAINST parents rights. These people are insane.
... Sorry there, HD. ... But Berry has a good point here.

The Dems don't seem to like this bill - that protects
"parents rights"...

Nor do the Dems - especially those surely connected to
the teaching profession - like the parents attending the
school-board meetings to protest and complain.

Or the fact that parents just may VOTE THEM OUT!

And IF the parents do complain to the school board and
administration leaders and then find those complaints
and pleas have fallen onto ... uh .. "tin ears" - then the
parents can surely follow the great teachings of the
famous Australian soothe-sayer - Confushiss:

And "SUE THE BASTARDS!" ...

#### Salty
Every democrat who spoke out about this bill was using a straw man argument. Every. Single. One. None of them addressed the substance of the bill, as you’re trying to coax HD to do. They can’t, because being against what the bill actually does is fucking insane. Frankly, there should be no need for such legislation. All of it should be a given and not even debatable.
If I boy wanted to be a girl, wear plaid skirts, use the girls rooms and be called a different name when I was in school, the staff would’ve thought he was crazy. They’d have called the parents and told them the kid needs a padded room.

When did common sense come to a screeching halt?