Trib live Tomlin poll.

• Devo
  • 10-11-2023, 10:19 AM
I think this pretty well sums up the local feelings about Tomlin.

1500 or so responses, so, its not a small sample.

[IMG]
download via url online[/IMG]
Don’t agree with this poll. And I’m not a big Tomlin fan. He’s a good coach. I happen to think he’s benefited greatly by as good a setup as any rookie coach has walked in to.
But he NEVER loses his team. In this day of spoiled, diva athletes that’s saying something.
He’s been here 16yrs. His expiration date is about up. Just like Noll and Cowher. It might be time to move on to his life’s work. Like a TV gig. Look at Belicheat. His team is really bad. He’s 80/91 without Brady. I think Rooney sticks with him because he keeps the inmates in check for the most part. It’s a tough thing to do.
https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/mike...OPHAGRORM4THA/

Interesting recent counterpoint Originally Posted by HDGristle
He has always gotten more love on a national scale. Actually shouldn’t say “always”. Mikes first 7-8 years here he was just as popular locally. Then the trend toward mediocrity started while having a HOF QB in his prime.
Like I said before, great coach,good coach or average coach...sometimes you just need a change....
I think the first change should come at the expense of Matt Canada, then get a real o-line and QB situation together.

Then, if Tomlin still can't produce at least a deep playoff run, then tell him it's time to resign. It would be criminal to fire Tomlin without getting rid of Canada and Pickett first.
  • Devo
  • 10-12-2023, 02:31 PM
Well, I know its bad, when even some of you here are agreeing its time to go.

National sports press has been speaking more of it as well.

I truly believe this year is it, or something big changes.
  • Devo
  • 10-12-2023, 02:36 PM
Don’t agree with this poll. And I’m not a big Tomlin fan. He’s a good coach. I happen to think he’s benefited greatly by as good a setup as any rookie coach has walked in to.
But he NEVER loses his team. In this day of spoiled, diva athletes that’s saying something. Originally Posted by Charley3
Trib polls are usually very liberal leaning when it comes to politics, which, mirrors Allegheny county, and they are consistent, I trust them to give an accurate acounting of the local people.

Honestly, I don't know a single Kneelers fan, who has anything good to say about him, and, I know, like myself, he's destroyed the Steelers name, notice, I used Steelers, as in, what they used to be, as to what they are now.

I don't know if Tomlin leaving is going to bring back some of the season ticket holders I know who don't bother going to the games anymore, they feel betrayed, and bluntly, I can't blame them after a decade of mediocrity.
... And THAT is exactly what it's been. A DECADE of mediocrity.

#### Salty
Fox Sports ranks Tomlin #3!!!!
He’s more like #2.
He’s more like #2. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
He’s the sum of a 1 and a 2. Both end up in the toilet.
Most current and former players, coaches, and executives agree that he's one of the better coaches in the NFL. So do most national level sports journalists. This is likely a poll made up of squeaky wheels. Pittsburgh fans are often unrealistically hard on coaches. They ran Jamie Dixon out of town, and where has Pitt been since then. Many Steelers fans wanted to run Cower out of town long before SB XL.
Most current and former players, coaches, and executives agree that he's one of the better coaches in the NFL. So do most national level sports journalists. This is likely a poll made up of squeaky wheels. Pittsburgh fans are often unrealistically hard on coaches. They ran Jamie Dixon out of town, and where has Pitt been since then. Many Steelers fans wanted to run Cower out of town long before SB XL. Originally Posted by 1pittsburgh
I pretty sure local fans are harder on their coaches than the National media are. Philly ran Andy Reid out of town. He’s now considered the best coach in the NFL.