Wireless Router Question

I have a LINKSYS wireless router. It was working on a secure network till yesterday. Yesterday, Friday, we had a thunderstorm in Houston and last electricity for about 4 hours. We also had heavy lightening and thunders.

Since then I lost my previous secured net work. When I start my computer in goes to LINKSYS network and will not allow me to change to a secured network. I can wireless or wired communicate through the router. I want to activate a secured network since I use a lap top. Any one can suggest what I have to do?

Thanks for the help
I'm afraid you're in for a bit of a hassle.

I installed a wireless router myself some time back, but it took some doing in the setup for it to allow my laptop into the network.

The first method is to provide the password that the wireless router generates, but you must keep notes as you install because the password it gives you looks like a long swear word.

Later, when I was connecting my new Blue Ray DVD wirelessly I had to find a different way because it did not recognize the swear word or maybe it just was offended and refuse to play.

You might want to Google the exact name and model of your wireless router and download a PDF format of the user's manual.

. . . After that, you may want to set up a pot of coffee and schedule some time to read the instructions. Good luck!

You may need to rerun the install disk that came with the router. With it is the passwords you need to use to setup the secured network. Setup on the laptop and include the password. I usually have to select every time I use the laptop which setup I want to go through. Remember to let windows connect to the network.
Ummm there is a reset button you can press with a paper clip.. its a pin hole..

press and hold it for about 5 seconds.. or google how you reset your model.

then once done, hard wire your pc to it and browse to 192.168.0.1 user name is "admin" and password is either "admin" or no password

reset your settings then you have to go around to all your devices that need the pw and check them.
Thanks for good suggestions. I will try it and let you all know. Thanks again for the help.
The newer, good routers (Linksys E series, etc) come with configuration programs, installed on your PC, which make the necessary security set up MUCH easier for the non-technical. Among these is the ability to backup a file to your PC so you can "restore" your router to the previous configuration if you are forced to reset it. If you are taking the time to set up the necessary security, (and we all should be), then the 5 minutes it takes to figure out how to back up your config file is more than worth it.
Thanks for the information. My router says Wireless-G I suppose that this is covered
If you router has outbound LAN outlets, get a short piece of CAT-5 cable and hook it to your laptop to the router. Then disconnect the cable and try to re-connect wirelessly.

Make sure your wireless connection is disabled when your are connecting with the cable.

Sometimes it resets previously connected wireless connections.

Good luck
Thanks for the suggestion. I will try it today