Read/Unread Mail Receipts

When I look at my Sent Mail, I see PMs that have the envelope in the left column as a closed envelope, which by the key at the bottom of the page, says that it has been Opened. However if I go to Sent Mail and then look at Unconfirmed Message Receipts, it says that the PM is Unread.

Hmm... I am not sure what to make of this. Am I missing something?
  • Mokoa
  • 04-28-2012, 10:34 AM
Your Sent Items are the PM's that you sent to others and they would be considered read by you.

The Unconfirmed Receipts represent the PM's you sent that have not yet been read by the recipient (the member you sent it to).
However, a member can opt to not send you a receipt and yet they have still read the PM.
Your Sent Items are the PM's that you sent to others and they would be considered read by you. Originally Posted by Mokoa
Then that symbol is meaningless on the page, since EVERY PM you send would be considered Read by you.

That is what has been confusing to me, because if that is the interpretation, then the READ/UNREAD symbol on the SENT ITEMS page means absolutely nothing and is useless!
  • Mokoa
  • 04-28-2012, 10:35 PM
Perhaps I should have put that like this..

Your Sent Items are the PM's that you sent to others and they would be considered read by you since you already know its contents.

Now, given that and since the closed envelope is defined by the legend at the bottom of the page as meaning the message has been read; the symbol is accurate.

However, a member can opt to not send you a receipt and yet they have still read the PM. Originally Posted by CryptKicker
Yes, that is true.
Now, given that and since the closed envelope is defined by the legend at the bottom of the page as meaning the message has been read; the symbol is accurate. Originally Posted by Mokoa
Totally Agree! However it is useless and redundant as well.... which in my life, are things that I try to pare down and out... just on general principles. But thanks again for your responses.
The quick reply doesn't utilize read receipts and most likely doesn't even go to your sent items folder; saving server space. Just send it, assume it will be read - and responded to if they chose. Just because technology is able to be created doesn
  • Mokoa
  • 05-21-2012, 10:33 PM
The quick reply doesn't utilize read receipts and most likely doesn't even go to your sent items folder Originally Posted by The Polar Bear
Quite correct.