IPad

I just got an iPad and I have been using it on this site-and others. With my laptop, after I visited a hobby site I woul clear all the cookies and the history and over write the deleted files with a program that would perform this function (Secure Clean). Only then would I visit any sites related to my real life (I.e. work, etc.). One reason that I would over write is that I know there are viruses and Trojans that could infect my computer and steal the info if it was on the computer.

O.K. Now my question - on Safari I clear cookies and delete history. Is this good enough to keep the hobby from being connected to my other life?

Thanks
Charlie
Download a program called 'ccleaner'. This will help you out with cleaning your computers cache. I guess before I give you more advice I just have a question. Who are you afraid of getting your info besides you SO? People that hack are not really gonna care about your hobby. Now if your SO is a super sleuth like some of them can be then yeah I can help ya out some more.
My SO is not a super sleuth, but I just want to keep the hobby out of my real life. However, I do have a teenage daughter who is EXTREMELY nosey! Another reason for the question is that I was thinking of using the IPad to check bank accts and credit card statements.

Thanks,
Charlie
Cleaner is an app for PC's. It won't work on the iPad and I would've very very cautious of downloading anything to the ipad that did not come from the app store.

Safari does have aprivate browsing feature that clears history etc. and it seems to work well. No matter what you do, some residual data will exist but to keep prying daughter/wife from picking up the iPad and snooping through your web history, private browsing should work fine. There are some other browsers on the app store that may be better than safari but I don't know which is the best. For banking and such it is probably best if the bank you use has a app like Bank of America does. that said, there is no way to know how secure the app is. I routinely use iPad or iPhone to do online banking and if anyone wants to hack me for my fifty cents they should hurry up and get it before the government does.
Yu can go to setting and clear cache there. I think when you get to that it tells yu it will be erasing all your memory nd passwords so I just lock my screen nd nobody uses my iPad!!!! Lol
  • Qziz
  • 06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Just to help the OP here's a pic of the private browsing setting.

This will prevent what you're worried about (significant other or coworker using your iPad and seeing the remnants of prior browsing in history).

A forensic agent could potentially jailbreak your iPad and check your history files on disk but if you get to the point where someone is going to that much trouble you have larger issues.
Good info! I'm like me_jucci. I have a lock on mine and I don't ANYONE use it...lol
Thanks. I noticed the private browsing setting but had not investigated it. I have been clearing history and cookies. I do let my daughter use the iPad, but I make sure that the browsing history has been cleared multiple times. She is snoopy, but not a techie.

With my PC, I guess I should worry more about my banking, etc. because of Trojans. In fact, that is one of the reasons I got the iPad.

Thanks for all of your help.

Charlie