Why in the hell didn't anyone tell me?

I've been in Alabama for an hour and a half and NO ONE HAD TOLD ME what a GORGEOUS state you have here! Of course, I've just arrived in Birmingham and perhaps other parts of the state aren't so hilly and just so green and pretty?

Are there anymore surprises waiting here for me that I should know about?

I know that some of the state is supposedly really "woody". I'm sure that there is a joke in that statement somewhere. But if there are any social need to knows or anything else, please let me know!

Wow.

Big hugs!
Elisabeth
Lots of gorgeous lakes and rivers. And yes everywhere is green and vibrant and alive at this time of year. North into Huntsville is even hillier, but once you go south of the fault line towards Montgomery it's flat as a pancake.

Go to Oak Mountain State Park while you're in the 'Ham.
Alabama is a beautiful state. And my home.

Northern and Central Alabama will be very hilly with lots of woods and forests. There are some beautiful valleys along the rivers.

The land will start to flatten out south of Birmingham around Tuscaloosa (on I-59) and Prattville/Montgomery (on I-65). The southern plains can be real pretty too (I've always preferred the hilly areas to the flat land). And then there's the Gulf Coast (a lot people consider the panhandle of Florida to be more a part of Alabama).

If you like a view you can drive out on Shades Mountain in Birmingham (Shades Crest Road) and there are some very nice views of the valley below.

If you are up around Ft. Payne and Mentone Alabama there are some really beautiful mountains and vistas looking out over the valleys. They also have some cabins in Mentone you can rent. Some have a back porch that looks off the side of a cliff and has hot tubs on them. I always thought it would be a blast to rent a cabin up there and take a special lady there for a weekend of....

Don't let anyone talk you into going to UCLA (Upper Corner of Lower Alabama).

Hope you enjoy your visit to Birmingham.
I just experienced a wonderful sushi restaurant. Actually, it was fantastic.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I landed here but this wasn't it. Except for me getting completely discombobulated while driving around (my shortcoming), this place has been wonderful!!!

Heretic,

Those cabins sound very nice for a romantic tryst. I'm not sure if I will be able to do that this trip, but maybe!

And there are beaches here as well? Just heard about those earlier.

Supposedly, the beaches here are awesome. (Awesome. Did I just write that? Sigh. I'll leave it.)

Thanks for the input!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth

And there are beaches here as well? Just heard about those earlier.
Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Yes the Gulf Coast is about 3.5 to 4 hours south of Birmingham (depending on how fast you drive).

The sands are sugar white and the waters can vary from a nice deep blue to an emerald green (depending on the algae blooms). It is very nice to sit on a lounge under an umbrella with a good book, a cool drink, and watch the world go by.
Are bathing suits required? Is topless allowed?

I am headed south on Monday or Tuesday and that is something that I didn't expect to be around. Might take a detour.
Are bathing suits required? Is topless allowed?

I am headed south on Monday or Tuesday and that is something that I didn't expect to be around. Might take a detour. Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
As far as I know bathing suits (tops and bottoms) are required on all North Florida beaches. I have heard of some gay beaches along the panhandle where it was possible for a lady to go topless w/o being hassled or ogled but that was a long time ago.

There might be some areas out in between the various coastal towns where you might find a place private enough to go topless. If you could find some locals who might be into the swinging thing, they might be able to help.
Why the hell didn't anyone tell me...

...Elizabeth was going to be in the area and topless...?

Have fun, EW.
Blush. Gulp. Well, no. I probably wouldn't be topless, I'm relatively shy and very polite in public places.

But I did wish to know the general "feel" of the place, hence my question. I'm guessing that most beaches didn't allow for any type of nudity. But since it's been many decades since I've been at a US beach, I thought that maybe the attitudes had changed.

I'm very excited about exploring during the next several days! THANK YOU SO MUCH for all of the interesting information!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth

Edited to add: I've been to the coast in California near and in San Francisco. But it was always so cold. Never did see any sunbathing there.
How long will be you be in Birmingham?
I've decided to stay a few extra days. I'm going to be here on Monday and probably leave for Dothan on Tuesday after check out time.

Of course, someone could always seduce me to stay just another day longer!
Yeah, there are beaches down here. Gulf Shores and Orange Beach really go for the family friendly atmosphere, so other than copious alcohol consumption, nothing adult related down here. The Alabama beaches are nice, but the ones just a bit over in Pensacola Beach/Destin are more spectacular with gorgeous white sand and clear blue water. Except there are probably about 20x more people in those towns than they're built to hold. Depends on how well you handle large crowds of people, but you couldn't get me to go to one of them with a gun to my head this time of year. Perdido Key/Perdido Beach on the Florida/Bama line might be your best bet actually.

If you come down the Foley Beach Expressway, be sure to wave, since you're like 5 miles from me there.
I've been in Alabama for an hour and a half and NO ONE HAD TOLD ME what a GORGEOUS state you have here! Of course, I've just arrived in Birmingham and perhaps other parts of the state aren't so hilly and just so green and pretty?

Are there anymore surprises waiting here for me that I should know about?

I know that some of the state is supposedly really "woody". I'm sure that there is a joke in that statement somewhere. But if there are any social need to knows or anything else, please let me know!

Wow.

Big hugs!
Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
Im hoping to see just what you mean..lol..I havent been to the Bham before and was seriously thinking about stopping in
I just saw your post and had to visit your website. Are you still in the Birmingham area? I can give you references from a lday in Atlanta, Ga. If you have gone please let us know when you will return. You are a very attractive and mature lady. Just the type I enjoy. Thanks for your reply.
Buddy