Not an alert, not even into law... yet

but here is an interesting proposition in California. As many folks know, when Cali passes a law - some states are soon to follow.

As a mother, the potential ramifications (whether we hide our faces or not ladies) are enormous...

Again, I realize this is NOT California, but just imagine with our current moral political climate going on, if this passes.... how much worse will it get?

This man in California is trying to manipulate the system...

And he's putting his money where his mouth is.
$1.86 Million of it.

Chris is rich and he's also what is wrong with American politics.
An Ivy league degreed lawyer who was in the right place at the right time: at Facebook's meager beginnings with a handful of other employees, Chris now wants to personally direct how U.S. society deals with adult service provider. He intends to do this by spending big money.
He might succeed.
Chris who? Chris KELLY. Lawyer, former Facebook Executive Officer, entrepreneur, bullet dodger, opportunist, and most recently, anti-trafficking children's rights activist.
As Chief Privacy Officer at Facebook, Kelly amassed his wealth while screwing the pooch on member privacy. Everyone has heard of those serious "Facebook privacy concerns" which the media regularly albeit ambiguously reported on for years. Kelly was the guy at that ship's helm.
In one particularly embarrassing and potentially devastating debacle, Kelly failed to provide adequate protection against online pedo predators for children using Facebook. The failure was caught by a Law Enforcement sting and a major investigation ensued. Suddenly, Kelly got very serious about the issue. He cooperated extensively with LE, and like a sinner finding Jesus, jumped right on board the holy anti-traffic child sex slavery crusade.
Kelly was able to dodge the bullet on that one and with help spun it into a white hat media "success" along with investigators who initially had the guns pointed at his direction, so-to-speak. After the incident he continued on a path of very publicly crusading against minor sex online. That close-call for failing to protect minors, along with the failed Facebook Beacon program which led to a class action lawsuit against Facebook, pointed Kelly in his white-hat wearing direction in efforts to redeem his reputation while feeding his hunger for power and control. Kelly set his sights on becoming California’s Top Law Enforcement Official.
A regular contributor to the California Democratic Party, Kelly left Facebook and ran for Attorney General of California in the 2010 election. Kelly had no public office experience what-so-ever. Neither did he have any criminal justice experience outside of his own close call. As stated by Kelly’s opponents “his only experience is designing the Facebook privacy policy condemned across the country.” Yet, Kelly, a strong pro-Police growth advocate, sunk $2 Million of his own money into his campaign bid. His bid failed. That was his first big money toss that didn't hit the bull’s-eye.
With the growing national attention to the idea of children being trafficked into sex slavery continuing to gain traction in the media, it wasn't long until Kelly again did something rich guys that want political power do: spend more money, and garner more attention for themselves.
Kelly's founded the Safer California Foundation to bolster his cause (and image) and crusade even louder. Soon partnered up with the child-saving Daphne Phung with California Against Slavery. Ms. Phung had watched a television show about child trafficking and was so moved by injustice, she decided to take action by founding "California Against Slavery in 2009 with the vision that stopping this heinous human rights abuse is the duty of every person."
Kelly is on the Board of California Against Slavery. The two sibling organizations can be noted in the press and listed together as in "Proposition 35 is a joint partnership of California Against Slavery and Safer California Foundation." Kelly continued on as an entrepreneur while working develop a strong hand in creating public policy from outside of an elected office.
This brings us to 2012 and Kelly's next big money target: The Californians Against Sexual Exploitation Act (CASE ACT) aka Proposition 35.
Prop 35 is the current project joint partnership of California Against Slavery and Safer California Foundation. Kelly help draft this over-extending sensationalist piece of potential legislation, and then went on to fund it's campaign which has racked up over $2 Million so far--$1.86 Million from Chris M. Kelly personally and $162 thousand-plus from Peace Officers Research Assn. of CA; that is roughly 85% & 7.5% of the total campaign budget, respectively.
The oppositional campaign to Prop 35 has virtually nothing to spend to educate the public on this heavily criticized and dismal piece of legislation.
So why is all of this even important?
The CASE Initiative is a bad law. It is not even a law that is needed to fight child sex slavery. It's a law who’s critics point out will open up to criminalization simply being the child of and being cared for by a adult service provider, or by being the spouse of or a dependent of any adult service provider charged under the law. It creates new ways for police (not the courts in sentencing fines) to seize assets from adult service providers, from their relatives, their friends or associates, and use that money to fund more police work doing the same thing again over.
The list of problems with the law are myriad note critics, yet Prop 35 has major backing of Government figures, political organizations and Police through out the state. After all, no politician want to be called pro-child slavery by opposing it. Even more so, big money talks.
Prop 35 has the backing of Chris Kelly’s big money.
When you "follow the money" on Prop 35, and learn what it will do, you’ll find it is clearly a vehicle to create headline grabbing media events which will serve to bolster the personal and political reputations of those who use it, but notably for its co-creator Chris Kelly, who is poised to become an icon for doing good in the current anti-child trafficing furor.
Perhaps the important aspect to keep in mind about all this is that if passed, Prop 35 would be a groundbreaking law that would devastate adult service providers and their families, bolster Police power and authority, while providing little if any benefit to the public at large in California.

But this is not just a California concern.
Politically speaking, ‘As goes California, so goes the nation.’ The Case Act .org website states one of its primary goals: “Additionally, the Prop 35 will raise awareness and unite Californians to take action. With up to 17 million voters, this will form the largest single movement against human trafficking in the U.S
Prop 35, if passed, will set a dangerous foundation for the rest of the county. This is a law that must be stopped. That is a worthy cause regardless of where you live.

If you want to help stop Prop 35, contact the Erotic Service Providers Legal, Education, and Research Project listed at the bottom.

Related websites:
http://votersedge.org/california/ballot-measures/2012/november/prop-35
http://resistancebehindbars.org/node/307
http://jvanek.wordpress.com/2012/08/14/vote-no-on-prop-35-case-act-requires-careful-consideration/
http://www.thereporter.com/opinion/ci_21281109
http://www.lifeontheswingset.com/12508/vote-no-on-ca-prop-35-this-nov/

Summary of Argument AGAINST Proposition 35:
Proposition 35 actually threatens many innocent people "My son, who served our country in the military and now attends college, could be labeled a human trafficker and have to register as a sex offender if I support him with money I earn providing erotic services."--Maxine Doogan; Please Vote No.

Contact AGAINST Proposition 35:
Maxine Doogan
ESPLER Project, Inc.
2261 Market Street #548
San Francisco, CA 94114
(415) 265-3302

noonprop35@gmail.com

http://esplerp.org/

Well, let's see, in the past 5 years Missouri passed a law that has all but eliminated entirely about any adult business. Kansas would have, too, but for the state Senate, which after the August primary will now also be Taliban, so likely will now do that, too. But Kansas did make electronic media and texting the bawdy a solid felony, and Arizona and Alabama have managed to put themselves on the map with their own particular brands of self righteousness with immigrants. Of course, never mind that we made it to the moon and have successfully fought most of the wildly serious diseases on the planet because if immigrants, but that is beside the point when you don't cure ignorance, too.

So, what this means is that if liberal and moderate money doesn't get into the fray everyone gets run over. Laws like this are already on the books, so the worthlessness of this prop is there, but those laws are more reasonable and surgical so radicals don't go for them.

In the end a politician only understands getting elected, and that means campaign money and calling upon them to oppose things as letters and phone calls equal votes to them. And they do pay attention to those numbers. Negative ads work and that is how a public initiative is defeated, using commonly revered themes and personally attacking the public proponents. A message from a provider like at the very end of your post will not be publically sympathetic and would likely drive voters to the prop.

Those against this need professional publicists wise in California politics to combat this and form a plank to defeat it. If it were me I would focus on the negative aspects if those behind it, the cost, the laws on the books already, and the expansion of government involved that always leads to adversely affecting those who think this is good and will never get them. Lots of good laws are used to springboard into bad ones.

The NRA isn't successful because everyone agrees with them. They are successful because they make freedom and loss if it understandable and with targeted methods permeate an electorate. Tag polls are one of the most effective ways they do this, but that is just one method. But it is so successful the Republicans, particularly in Cali, use it for fund raising. Glam and celebrity ridicule is another tool that works along with media. You would be surprised how much power you gain merely from being on t.v., even as a nobody. Paris Hilton is a great example as is Jersey Shore, but even the local weatherman carries that cache. Idiotic? Yes, but it works IF done right, and famously backfires if not--Dan Quayle, for example.

Stuff like this can be defeated, but it takes focus and the right logic and message. Poor me won't do it in this day and age because 'they' want that. Even Al Qaida gets that, and Al Jazira really does. Party on, Garth; yea man, party on Wayne! See, it only takes a little to get a lot with media.
Moved thread to the Sandbox. While it does affect the industry, this discussion is going to be political and may be more appropriate for this forum.
Propositional Lawmaking is nothing but trouble. The elected legislature is avoiding controversy and is not doing their job . With enough money, any one can buy their way onto the ballot. No debate, little independent study of the ramifications of the proposed measures, etc. Just look at the fiscal mess California is in due to to propositional mandates. Arizona is fast falling into the same problem. Is it right that anyone with deep enough pockets to buy the necessary advertising can influence the general population? IMHO..NO. Let's all hope we are not lemmings,and follow California off of the proverbial cliff!!
Vote Democrat is you want to stop some of these problems in Kansas. They targeted strip clubs this past year or two.
I would focus on what I like to call the "Big Brother" effect. Meaning, another worthless law that takes a little bit more power from the people, and gives it to the government. Its a snowball effect and a law that clearly isn't needed. There are already laws in place to do all of those things if a government really wants to.

The police can already, take your kids for providing due to being an unfit mother, child endangerment, etc etc etc... The IRS can take your car, your home, or anything else they want for tax evasion. This is how I would combat a new prop. Focus on those who want less government, and enter "dooms-day" scenarios of the government watching everything you do from when you go to sleep, to what you think and feel.

I'm not an expert, but I would think thats how you fight props that clearly aren't needed.
Propositional Lawmaking is nothing but trouble. The elected legislature is avoiding controversy and is not doing their job . With enough money, any one can buy their way onto the ballot. No debate, little independent study of the ramifications of the proposed measures, etc. Just look at the fiscal mess California is in due to to propositional mandates. Arizona is fast falling into the same problem. Is it right that anyone with deep enough pockets to buy the necessary advertising can influence the general population? IMHO..NO. Let's all hope we are not lemmings,and follow California off of the proverbial cliff!! Originally Posted by Red Rock
This guy is taking saving face to a complete new level, I agree just because you have money should not make you able o force your way in but it does. This "I hope" is another trend and when the media drops him for a new topic he will slow disappear form such a project I mean he honestly looks like the type that needs to me but I have been wrong befroe.. ^_^
What does voting for democrats have to do with saving Kansas. This guy on the first post is a democrat, Harry Reid is a democrat, the Governor of Missouri was a democrat, and legislature was democratic. So how does voting for democrats help?

Participate in the primaries
Well, without getting into a Democrat vs Republican dedate, I am sure that everyone realizes that Kansas Republican Conseratives, the majority of our elected officals, are more likely to vote for bills like this one that was proposed last year http://cjonline.com/legislature/2011...-bumped-senate. Conservatives are generally not too keen on any of the "adult businesses". Exceptions are out there of course, but I am positive that if the Kansas Legislature was controlled by Democrats this type of bill would never stand a chance. I am not talking about any other policies at all, only those involving those on this board.
Based upon the Kansas primiary results...the state of Kansas will soon be going in a direction that will make the dark ages look like the enlighten period for Kansas.

However, ultimately, I really can't blame the backward thinking of Kansas politicans for doing what they do.

They got elected by the people...so folks, we reap what we sow. So stop getting your panties in a wad, when the rest of the nation laughs at the status of Kansas

BTW, this post is in no way, an attempt to play the Republican bad vs Democrats good...or vice a versa

It is merely my thoughts on the specfic type of Republicans that will probably be in control of the Kansas Senate, House and governership
"It is merely my thoughts on the specfic type of Republicans that will probably be in control of the Kansas Senate, House and governership "

My thinking exactly. Think before you vote.