95% of my Searches are Duds recently. Why?

Recently, when looking up a name, handle, etc on the search area I have been told that no such name, query is found or exists. (It does tend to happen MOST when searching EXACT name/handles more often than just keywords, etc)

So I began to search names that I KNOW exist like my own and it tells me the SAME thing.

Now this has been happening for over a week and not each single time but probably 95% of the time.

Is this due to the work being done on the board recently and can I expect it to be resolved soon?

Or is there another reason or problem I am encountering? I have checked over and over again for typos and mistakes made by myself and that is not the problem. So I am a bit perturbed.

Thank you kindly for any help/advice.

KKA
  • Mokoa
  • 06-11-2010, 07:28 AM
It is possible that the current work going on may have something to do with it. Let me research it some and I will get back to you.
Thank you Mokoa!

XOXOXO

KKA
Just wanted to let you know I have been having the same problem as KKA with the search feature. Thanks KelliAnn for bringing this up.
It has to do with the mySQL database. It's a known problem that vBulletin has always had when you switch your forums to a better server - usually a dedicated or shared server.

I have the same problem on my forums, but I say screw it. No one actually uses it anyways.

If you have access to admin, and not moderator status, you can go to the "Maintenance" section and run the program. There is a good chance it could work or at least tell you if you for certain have an issue with the database.
  • Mokoa
  • 06-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Well I tried a number of experiments with searching today and all of them appeared to work fine. I encountered no issues.

I cannot tell you why you received the results you described without more specific information about how you did your search. Screenshots would be helpful. A good free tool for capturing them is MWSnap.

It can be found here... MWSnap site

Get back to us if you need more help or if you were able to resolve this issue on your own.

Panzerwaffe wrote:
It has to do with the mySQL database. It's a known problem that vBulletin has always had when you switch your forums to a better server - usually a dedicated or shared server.

I have the same problem on my forums, but I say screw it. No one actually uses it anyways.
Well, here at ECCIE we run a responsible operation. Unlike you, we respect our members by providing a site that works. The Search feature is one of the most used parts of the site for obvious reasons. We cannot, nor will not, simply say "screw it."

As I stated earlier in this post, the Search feature here on this site appears to be working just fine.

Perhaps you need to spend some more time back at the drawing board.

Panzerwaffe wrote:
If you have access to admin, and not moderator status, you can go to the "Maintenance" section and run the program. There is a good chance it could work or at least tell you if you for certain have an issue with the database.
That is irrelevant since no one in this thread has Admin access.