Gov Christie Too Fat To Run For The Presidency??

Yeah. He is.

Like it or not, Americans tend to prefer folks that are more photogenic than ones that are not. And that's not just in politics. There are numerous studies about the workplace that demonstrate that the slender and attractive are promoted and rewarded beyond their actual accomplishments compared to the heavyset and homely.

You may not like it, but complaining about it does about as much good as complaining about the weather.

Abraham Lincoln could never get elected in America today. And it would have nothing to do with his politics.
Yeah. He is.

Like it or not, Americans tend to prefer folks that are more photogenic than ones that are not. And that's not just in politics. There are numerous studies about the workplace that demonstrate that the slender and attractive are promoted and rewarded beyond their actual accomplishments compared to the heavyset and homely.

You may not like it, but complaining about it does about as much good as complaining about the weather.

Abraham Lincoln could never get elected in America today. And it would have nothing to do with his politics. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Quote very true- appearance is a lot these days and many of the past Presidents like William Taft would have trouble- if a candidate is short, Over weight, and overall not attractive they would have more trouble or obstacles.
I think he might be capable of waddling for the presidency, assuming he takes plenty of rest breaks. I'll never forgive him for kissing Obama's ass just before the election.
  • CJ7
  • 12-13-2012, 02:14 PM
aside from looks, obese people are prone to severe health issues. Having Christie fall over dead from a heart attack in the middle of a term should be a consideration
The fat doesn't bother me that much. He can lose it. He can have lap band and lipo.

In fact, he could be in better health right now than Cheney ever was.

What bothers me is the lisp... makes it hard for me to take him seriously.

But I think he's shown leadership is more important than partisanship, which is more than we're seeing out of Congress right now.
The fat doesn't bother me that much. He can lose it. He can have lap band and lipo.

In fact, he could be in better health right now than Cheney ever was.

What bothers me is the lisp... makes it hard for me to take him seriously.

But I think he's shown leadership is more important than partisanship, which is more than we're seeing out of Congress right now. Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
And more than we have seen in our President for over 4 years now.

President Obama needs to realize that the American Electorate chose to keep the House of Representatives majority Republican, and be willing to meet them half way.

Likewise the House needs to realize the very same thing about the President.
  • KCJoe
  • 12-13-2012, 04:01 PM
I think he might be capable of waddling for the presidency, assuming he takes plenty of rest breaks. I'll never forgive him for kissing Obama's ass just before the election. Originally Posted by joe bloe
If kissing Obama's ass helped to speed up aid for the citizens of New Jersey, then he did the job he was elected to do. He put the welfare of his constituents above politics and needs to be commended for that.

I've known some fat people who were actually much healthier than slimmer people, but they were exceptions.
These days..it's a cardinal sin to look bad on TV.
I think he might be capable of waddling for the presidency, assuming he takes plenty of rest breaks. I'll never forgive him for kissing Obama's ass just before the election. Originally Posted by joe bloe

Joe Slow doesn't understand wanting help for a disaster isn't kissing ass it is wanting help.If a tornado wipes out your home I hope you won't kiss any ass getting help.
If kissing Obama's ass helped to speed up aid for the citizens of New Jersey, then he did the job he was elected to do. He put the welfare of his constituents above politics and needs to be commended for that.

I've known some fat people who were actually much healthier than slimmer people, but they were exceptions. Originally Posted by KCJoe
He put the welfare of his constituents above the welfare of the country. The idea that a politician's job is to bring home the bacon, above all else, is a big part of what is ruining the country.

A lot of government waste is pork barrel projects that politicians use to get re-elected but don't help the country as a whole. We build twenty million dollar bridges to nowhere, airports no one uses and borrow a trillion dollars a year to do it.
These days..it's a cardinal sin to look bad on TV. Originally Posted by TheDaliLama
That's a sin that Admiral Stockdale committed in the vice-presidential debates when he ran as Ross Perot's running mate.

He had less than a week to prepare due to Ross Perot re-entering the race late in the game. And he had to adjust his hearing aid, which he needed due to hearing loss suffered from injuries he sustained while a POW in Vietnam.

And he was ridiculed mercilessly by comedians.
  • Old-T
  • 12-13-2012, 06:15 PM
President Obama needs to realize that the American Electorate chose to keep the House of Representatives majority Republican, and be willing to meet them half way.

Likewise the House needs to realize the very same thing about the President. Originally Posted by Jackie S
I hope all these supposedly intelligent people are smart enough to see that.
  • Old-T
  • 12-13-2012, 06:21 PM
He put the welfare of his constituents above the welfare of the country. The idea that a politician's job is to bring home the bacon, above all else, is a big part of what is ruining the country. I thought that is exactly what many conservatives want--let the states do what's best for themselves. So not you are saying a state (i.e. the govenor) shouldn't do what's right for his people? Of he should let a lot of New Jersey people suffer severely to make a political point? Were you one of the few who had the guts to tell the residents of New Orleans, "We should NOT rebuild your city because it's stupid to put a city below sea level in LA--it's a waste of government money." Did you scream LA should have sent back aid workers at the boarder?

A lot of government waste is pork barrel projects that politicians use to get re-elected but don't help the country as a whole. We build twenty million dollar bridges to nowhere, airports no one uses and borrow a trillion dollars a year to do it. I agree with this, and this is the kind of stuff that won't be solved by a "Fair Tax", but to equate real pork with disastar relief is wrong. Originally Posted by joe bloe
And more than we have seen in our President for over 4 years now.

Likewise the House needs to realize the very same thing about the President. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Jackie,what about the Democratic controlled US Senate? Are they not part of the process? Using your rationale, it would appear to me that Obama should only meet the House 1/3 of the way, not 1/2.

With that said, I understand and agree with your perspective. There needs to be some "give and take" on both sides.