Calling all strippers...you need to read this.

Sure, how do you prove your income though? :-)
Every year employer has do to a form (I forgot which one) each girl has to filled out how much she's made on average a month and sign it.

If you claim you have made less than a certain amount a month you don't have to pay any taxes.

I guess some girls don't stay long enough to get a w-2 from their club.
Actually, the article does a too matter of fact summary of this which makes it misleading. You would have to read the actual case and some of the others on the topic of independent contractors. This operation is by the who's who of not very good management and this is where it leads. It dealt with the 'control factor' test. They simply had too much and it was rather obvious. If a club wants to have independent contractors they basically have to let them show up whenever they want and work like musicians and other entertainers. In return for avoiding employer responsibilities, costs and taxes they take the risk entertainers don't show or are injured and sue. 'Too smart' disease is what happened here, and the patient succumbed.
I've helped somebody successfully appeal to the IRS that his 1099 should have been a W2, complete with employer payment of the second half of SS...so I am somewhat familiar with the litmus tests. IMHO, most strip clubs are incorrect to classify the girls as independent contractors....since they have a schedule and even require certain shifts....have fines if you leave early, etc.

However I would be surprised to see a stripper get unemployment. I may be talking out of my ass here, but I don't think are girl who quit or was fired can collect it....it would have to be a layoff...and even when entire clubs have closed, the ownership has offered to let the dancers work at sister clubs, etc.

Yes I have drawn unemployment from a club laying me off and even food stamps, in the slow winter months.
The club I use to work at use to give us a weekly paycheck, which wasn't much like 2 bucks an hour. So my checks would be no more than $40-50 a week, but it gave me a paycheck stub, for proof of employment. Most of the time I would sign the back of the check and give it back to club, incentive to get a couple of nights free tip out.
And you are correct how can we be independent contractors if we have to be on a schedule to work.
Whats Next ?
This will most likly change how ladies are brought in and how they pay the house. They may have shot themselves in the foot on this one.
The club in question that the law was referring to didnt have their documents laid out in order. Dancers at clubs can be independent contractors only if proper steps are met. The club demanding they adhear to a set schedule didnt fall into the proper criteria. That is what the court ,meant in their ruling on "control". Also their is the above mentioned quandry that the dancers if they didnt file proper taxes can actually prove the time of employment they are referring to. Clubs that decide to pay dancers as employees will usually only pay a minimum wage or server wage and keep hours to a minimum so they would be considered part time.
Leilani, I am curious....how long ago did you get wages from a club? I haven't heard of that for around ten years. Also I am curious as to how they paid you a wage and required a tip out. They must have categorized it as some sort of equipment rental and not what it really was - a gratuity.

To others in this thread, all the clubs I know of are operating just as improperly as Milanos/Orleans was. They used to give service industry minimum wage.....but this got the club wrapped up in reporting of tips....and of course most girls lie. KBI agents used to go in the clubs as customers. Some of the more seasoned ladies may remember the term 'counting dances' from this era. In I think 1994, Babydolls got raided as a result of this. After that most clubs said screw it and started the independent contractor racket.
They stopped doing the paychecks in 2005. At that time you only tipped out the House Mom, Bartender, DJ & Bouncers. When I got my check on Friday I would sign the back of the check and give it back to the Manager on duty. Then I get to keep the paycheck stub. That's all SRS needed was proof of income and I would get food stamps when times were slow, and trust me there are times when it does get slow.

In 2006 I stopped dancing... and been so happy with my choice of change.
They stopped doing the paychecks in 2005. At that time you only tipped out the House Mom, Bartender, DJ & Bouncers. When I got my check on Friday I would sign the back of the check and give it back to the Manager on duty. Then I get to keep the paycheck stub. That's all SRS needed was proof of income and I would get food stamps when times were slow, and trust me there are times when it does get slow.

In 2006 I stopped dancing... and been so happy with my choice of change. Originally Posted by LeilaniBebe
Hell now you tip out the house, the dj and bouncers. The going tip is $35 to the house and bouncers and $5-10 to the dj.
The club I worked at the house got 10, the DJ got 10, each boucncer got 5, bartender got whatever the ladies wanted to hand out. DJ, bouncers, and bartender were also paid for by the house. Also ladies gave 6 bucks to the house per VIP dance on the first 5 dances, the next 5 they gave 5 bucks, and after that they kept all the money from VIP dances and all tips.

Depending on how many ladies were working when I used to DJ and bounce I could bring home 120 plus for a 5 hour gig. Wasn't too bad 10 years ago and I got free beer.
Bazookas in KCMO makes a tally of every dance you do and then asks you for money at the end of the night. Some of it goes to the club and some of it is tax. At the end of the year you get money back. At least that is the way they used to do things, I'm assuming they still do it that way. On top of the money they take, you also have to tip the DJ and I can't remember if you tipped the bouncers or not.
The last club that paid me to work there was a club in FL. I was paid $20 a week and then got tips and dances. LOL. Woo hoo! At that place they only had a bartender and a bouncer so tip out wasn't much.