SEAL who shot Bin Laden unemployed

Quit after 16 years. Interesting read.

http://www.esquire.com/features/man-...bin-laden-0313
It is common for unemployment to be high among Veterans. Employers don't know how to value skills learned in the Military and Veterans don't know how to translate those skills into examples that employers understand. One thing that can help is when both employers and Veterans work through organizations like the American Legion or the VFW in setting up and attending job fairs.
It is common for unemployment to be high among Veterans. Employers don't know how to value skills learned in the Military and Veterans don't know how to translate those skills into examples that employers understand. One thing that can help is when both employers and Veterans work through organizations like the American Legion or the VFW in setting up and attending job fairs. Originally Posted by jf2good
Agree. Interesting that he walked away from a lifetime pension with 4 years to go.
Agree. Interesting that he walked away from a lifetime pension with 4 years to go. Originally Posted by timpage
I wonder about this as well.
  • Trey
  • 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM
This guy thinks he should be taken care of since he shot Osama. And he could make plenty cash at it one would think. I'm sure he has had job offers since this was put out there. He knew damn well he had to make 20, so I won't cry one drop for him there.

Honestly I don't think I would want my name and pic out there if I were him.
I can understand. There comes a time when you just cannot do the job anymore or you think you've done your part. It would be a catastrophic let down to go from special operator to what??? A gunners mate on a destroyer? Maybe he believed that he finished what started almost twelve years ago. Maybe he felt that his children needed him more than the country did after this raid. His reasons are his own and nobody here is in no place to question his decision.

The problem is the system that has failed him and so many others. The navy pays people bonuses for arduous or hazardous duty on active duty but that does not translate into post career benefits. Like the article says, depending on his paygrade (I will assume Chief with 16 years), he will get the same retirement pay as a Chief Cook, Chief Personnelmen, a Chief Musician. The navy does have a program that starts six months before your discharge to advise you of all the things that need to taken care of before you walk off the ship. If you suddenly make that decision then you may not get to go to this week long training. I didn't. They would have discussed finding work on the outside, how to write a resume, what you can say, how to translate your experience to the civilian world, and (very important) what benefits you have access to. The system failed him and there is not a mechanism to correct the problem save from some aid from a politican.

He can't go public with his ID. Unlike other wars there are people out there, including some Americans, that would think it very patriotic or religious to go after him or his family. He can't tell a potential employer what he has accomplished. Like the nuclear power program and other sensitive programs, your DD-214 just gives a blanket statement and if you go to school a recommendation for college credits without explanation.
He's honoring the code of silence, unlike some of his fellow SEALs that were involved in the operation. I admire that, because you're right....he could be making a fortune off of a book right now if he chose to break that code.

Gotta agree on him giving up the pension though....he knew what he was doing. You have to wonder if maybe this Esquire article is him maybe testing the water on a book deal. Lot of money to be made if he chooses to go that route.

This guy thinks he should be taken care of since he shot Osama. And he could make plenty cash at it one would think. I'm sure he has had job offers since this was put out there. He knew damn well he had to make 20, so I won't cry one drop for him there.

Honestly I don't think I would want my name and pic out there if I were him. Originally Posted by trey
There has been talk about changing the military retirement system to reflect that of civilian and other government jobs. That is, they want to implement a 401(k) type system so you would get something if you decided to retire before 20. IMO that would be a good idea since many people get out before putting in 20. And it seems like retirement benefits for military retirees keeps getting less and less so being able to get out early wouldn't be as bad.

I do find it strange that he got out at 16.
  • Old-T
  • 02-12-2013, 12:45 PM
No value judgement on my part, just a statement. It makes little financial sense, SEALs are rarely stupid people, and in the big picture 4 years is not a very long time. Put that together and I suspect there is more to the story of why he left.

Whatever the reason, I wish him well.
This guy thinks he should be taken care of since he shot Osama. Originally Posted by trey
Where did he say that?

Those aren't his words. That is the characterization of the Esquire article.

BTW, they fucked up the story when they said he had no healthcare benefits. He is covered for five years after service ended. The guy who wrote the article did a half-assed job:

http://twitchy.com/2013/02/12/msm-se...ama-bin-laden/
No value judgement on my part, just a statement. It makes little financial sense, SEALs are rarely stupid people, and in the big picture 4 years is not a very long time. Put that together and I suspect there is more to the story of why he left. Originally Posted by Old-T
It is probably something truly mundane. Like his wife.

Reportedly, the SEAL and his wife are separated. Perhaps she got tired of all of the extended deployments and moving base to base every few years. She may have wanted out and couldn't fathom the idea of four more years of it.
  • Old-T
  • 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM

Reportedly, the SEAL and his wife are separated. Perhaps she got tired of all of the extended deployments and moving base to base every few years. She may have wanted out and couldn't fathom the idea of four more years of it. Originally Posted by ExNYer
That is certainly possible. The other possibility is a teanage kid who is in need of a parent close by.
It is common for unemployment to be high among Veterans. Employers don't know how to value skills learned in the Military and Veterans don't know how to translate those skills into examples that employers understand. One thing that can help is when both employers and Veterans work through organizations like the American Legion or the VFW in setting up and attending job fairs. Originally Posted by jf2good
That's a fact, Jack. Unfortunately, since there is such a narrow pool that draws enlistees (the academies are a different story, but not by much) there is no longer the broader understanding of what the military actually does other than very basics. Also, due to the hardships on the soldier and families caused by the overlong deployments, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of prospective employers are more than a little concerned (didn't want to use the term "gun shy") that the ticking they hear in the background might be the veteran.

Agree. Interesting that he walked away from a lifetime pension with 4 years to go. Originally Posted by timpage
Have to go with Old-T below on this:

No value judgement on my part, just a statement. It makes little financial sense, SEALs are rarely stupid people, and in the big picture 4 years is not a very long time. Put that together and I suspect there is more to the story of why he left.

Whatever the reason, I wish him well. Originally Posted by Old-T
+100, though I'll wager many that have gone through what they have are cursed with some version of the "1000 yard stare," even if they hide it pretty well.

Reportedly, the SEAL and his wife are separated. Perhaps she got tired of all of the extended deployments and moving base to base every few years. She may have wanted out and couldn't fathom the idea of four more years of it. Originally Posted by ExNYer
He may have come back with some "issues" and/or she may have developed some on her end as well. That life isn't at all easy on either end.

Fu*k, we've just about worn these folks out over the past 8-9 (however long it's been) years. It's sort of like professional sports, without the pay, glory and off season: shoot 'em up with whatever it takes to keep 'em in the game for as long as they last (and then some) - then pretty much turn your back on them. Not a good program at all, but how do we suddenly swtich from what it takes to do the job to helping them decompress, chill, work through some problems or whatever, when the two "cultures" are essentially at odds with each other?
How many tours did he take? Maybe he got tired of killing people in a useless effort to stop "terrorism"? Maybe it bothered him that there was no definition of victory, and that the war would continue until there are no more profits to be made? Could be any number of reasons.