Would You Rather?

cancel the Annual Easter Egg Hunt on the White House lawn, or cancel this:

Well, you know which one the Obama administration is considering cancelling, don't you? Damn sequester, anyway! Massive 2% cut in the projected increase is killing us!

would you rather be strapped to a creosote pole and rammed in and out of a rhino's ass?

Or would you rather be the rhino?
Anything to get the republican party back on line.
  • CJ7
  • 03-20-2013, 03:17 PM
elephant control must be working pretty good ... haven't seen one in the back yard all year
And one by one, we're running them out of Washington...
Many scientific discoveries are made by accident unrelated to what the scientist was studying.

We would have missed out on many great discoveries we benefit from today if only projects everyone approved of were funded.

I also may be biased because I neither believe in Jesus nor his egg hiding furry friend.
Tell me, JBravo, what can we learn from studying ways to reduce human-elephant conflict? And since we have to borrow money to study it, and pay it back with interest, wouldn't we be better off not funding this at all, and telling the elephants they just need to get along?
Who knows what discoveries we'll get from different types of scientific research? If we restrict science to only what we think might pay off, we limit ourselves on what we can discover. Who knows, maybe new insight into human or animal psychology will come from this research?

Here are some more scientific discoveries that happened by accident:

http://io9.com/5739235/7-scientific-...ng-discoveries
http://science.howstuffworks.com/inn...ent.htm#page=0
I think in your lists, JBravo, only one of those inventions came from government funded research. The Slinky.

Now please explain how the study of human-elephant conflict could result in such a life changing, amazing, and much needed for the betterment of humanity discovery such as the Slinky.
Dont tell BarleySwine, but my dick can walk down stairs, too!
Anything to get the republican party back on line. Originally Posted by i'va biggen
Never gonna happen. At least not in my lifetime.
I think in your lists, JBravo, only one of those inventions came from government funded research. The Slinky.

Now please explain how the study of human-elephant conflict could result in such a life changing, amazing, and much needed for the betterment of humanity discovery such as the Slinky. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
The government funded more than just the Slinky. For example, the guys who confirmed the Big Bang Theory were working at Bell Labs at the time, which receives various government contracts. Wilhelm Röntgen was doing his research at Columbia University when he made his discovery, again very unlikely he did so without some sort of government grant.

I prefer to believe that the people doling out the grants have a better idea of the applications and research behind them than you or I do given that they're actually scientists and have knowledge of the field.

Also, I wouldn't diss the Slinky. I bet that thing has more than paid back the cost of its research in profits from sales to all the kids that have enjoyed the hell out of that thing! I bet it also taught scientists a thing or two about materials science and physics too.
Defending excess government spending, because of the Slinky. Priceless.
You're an imbecile. You're not as clever as you think you are. And dimmer than we think you are.

Tough to be a narcissist in a bunker!