Why War?

Yes, but these words were spoken by a person who's country was only afraid of being invaded just once. The history of the USSR was one of being the bully and not the victim except for 1941 so they had no reason to want to go to war except politics.
Thanks for the Anti American thread, Comrade Hanoi COG.

I don't know what we would do without you.
Solzhenitsyn must have been speaking of the Soviet Union. That is why he used the word "only". Granted, the USA has gone to war for political reasons, the Mexican American War being a good example, but we have also gone to war to save the entire World from tyranny, WW-2 being the best example.
Solzhenitsyn must have been speaking of the Soviet Union. That is why he used the word "only". Granted, the USA has gone to war for political reasons, the Mexican American War being a good example, but we have also gone to war to save the entire World from tyranny, WW-2 being the best example. Originally Posted by Jackie S
+1
Our current "war on terror" fits Solzhenitsyn's point exactly. We aren't an ounce safer, but we are decidedly less free.
Our current "war on terror" fits Solzhenitsyn's point exactly. We aren't an ounce safer, but we are decidedly less free. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
I'm not certain we're in a position to really speak about the safer or not part. The problem with something like this is when the new security measures are implemented and actually working, we (the public) will never hear about their successes and what they've protected us from simply due to the covert nature of combating terrorism.

But yes, we are less free than we were pre-9/11, but that's not unexpected given how the pendulum tends to swing between freedom & security and how events can suddenly swing it in one direction or another.
Our current "war on terror" fits Solzhenitsyn's point exactly. We aren't an ounce safer, but we are decidedly less free. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
1. We are safer fighting this war on terror in placesother than our homeland.
2. We are safer fighting this war on terror to the extent that it reduces enemy leadership and interrupts their planned terror activities.

O.D.

Have to disagree
Things I know about what was stopped and what we did there would change your mind as well.

You can think that all you want, that is one of the rights my father fought for.

You can think we aren't an ounce safer as well and I will smile, take a sip of coffee and know better.

That is what I fought for.
"Der Krieg ist eine bloße Fortsetzung der Politik mit anderen Mitteln." Generalmajor Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz
"Ich liebe, mit meiner eigenen Scheiße zu spielen." -- Corpy
  • CJ7
  • 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM
Have to disagree
Things I know about what was stopped and what we did there would change your mind as well.

You can think that all you want, that is one of the rights my father fought for.

You can think we aren't an ounce safer as well and I will smile, take a sip of coffee and know better.

That is what I fought for. Originally Posted by Gotyour6
feel it or not, the events following 9-11 have made the entire country safer on various levels. Allow me to buy you a cup.

Thank you, btw.
Have to disagree

That is what I fought for. Originally Posted by Gotyour6
And I thank both you and your Father!
+1000
The original statement stands. The only reason we have this "war on terror" is to keep the population occupied while our liberties are being stripped away. Did none of you read 1984? There always had to be enemy. Otherwise, the leaders would lose control.

You are also free to think what you want, as well as make the "I know things you don't know" which can never be proven, but makes you sound good. However, that does not change the fact that our freedom is no longer slipping away, it's in free fall.