Foodie News

Just when you thought British cuisine was dull...
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/br...-14909470.html
Isn't "British cuisine" an oxymoron????

So, you going to try and get their goat???

Down where I live, kid (cabrito) is a delicacy, and has been for generations. It is hardly a "luxury food." That just makes me laugh. Like so many Mexican dishes that have worked their way into US culture (fajitas, nachos, tacos) they were first dirt poor dishes that met the needs of the dirt poor in Mexico.
Just when you thought British cuisine was dull...
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/br...-14909470.html Originally Posted by Nicole Preston
And weird. First time I flew Virgin in First Class, I was treated to a "Tribute to British Cuisine". Puhleaze! I just had a few more drinks instead.
  • WTF
  • 08-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Nichole, don't let those haters get ya down. I betcha you could make a British dish intresting
The funny thing is that in top 50 restaurants in the World, any US ones are either serving French food or have French chefs. Nothing American..oh except the one that does the peanut butter jelly sandwich served on a stick wrapped around a grape. Yum. not.

Enjoy your weekend all :-)
Hmm, Masa is Japanese and both French Laundry and PerSe are more American then French
I would like to think that most of the finer restaurants employ French Chefs because of there disciplined work ethics (in the kitchen), attention to detail, and sense of pride in their food. I"m currently training with French Chefs, and I can tell you that anything short of perfection is "crap"...I have presented a lovely dish several times in class ( most would pay top dollar for in a restaurant) only to hear " What iz theez?", LOL. You can't please them...however I do live and relish those moments when I hear "It's good".

Now goat, not so sure I would order off the menu. Anything that needs to be stewed for 4-6 hours can't be good.
(fajitas, nachos, tacos) they were first dirt poor dishes that met the needs of the dirt poor in Mexico. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Nachos are an American invention. They didn't come around until the late 40's when tortilla chips were invented in America. Authentic Mexican food doesn't include tortilla chips, only tortillas.
Hmm, Masa is Japanese and both French Laundry and PerSe are more American then French Originally Posted by discreetgent
Thomas Keller would argue that with you since he describes per se and french laundry as "heavily influenced by the French". Keller is trained in classical french cooking from his days at La Rive and La Reserve and he brings that to both restaurants. Ok Masa I'll give you..but again not American. The point being DG that whilst the US has some really great restaurants (I have several favorites here) it's not known for good (national)food. It's not just the English.
And weird. First time I flew Virgin in First Class, I was treated to a "Tribute to British Cuisine". Puhleaze! I just had a few more drinks instead. Originally Posted by pjorourke
It's an airline PJ. No-one flies for the food. Not even in first class. I hope
It's an airline PJ. No-one flies for the food. Not even in first class. I hope Originally Posted by Camille
Well duh! Airline food is just a distraction so that you don't realize something that heavy can't possibly fly. Kind of like the magician's other hand.

But airline food or not, a tribute to British cuisine? That's like admiring Italian organization.

It reminds me of that old joke about the difference between heaven and hell:

In heaven, the British run the Government, the Germans are the workers, the Italians are the artists, the Irish are the policemen and the French are the cooks.
In hell, the British are the cooks, the Italians run the government, the Irish are the artists, the French are the workers, and the Germans are the Police.
Well duh! Airline food is just a distraction so that you don't realize something that heavy can't possibly fly. Kind of like the magician's other hand.
[/I] Originally Posted by pjorourke
This made me smile!
  • WTF
  • 08-14-2010, 11:29 AM

In heaven, the British run the Government, the Germans are the workers, the Italians are the artists, the Irish are the policemen and the French are the cooks.
In hell, the British are the cooks, the Italians run the government, the Irish are the artists, the French are the workers, and the Germans are the Police. Originally Posted by pjorourke
rotflmao

That's great PJ.
JB, I would have thought you would be in a defensive posture over British cuisine.