High School: 1957 vs 2010 ( what have we become)

HIGH SCHOOL -- 1957 vs. 2010

Scenario 1:
Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the
school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.
1957 - Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes
to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.
2010 - School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off
to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in
for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:
Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.
1957 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and
end up buddies.
2010 - Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both
Johnny and Mark. They are both charged them with assault and both
expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:
Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.
1957 - Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good
paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and
does not disrupt class again.
2010 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a
zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The family gets extra money (SSI)
from the government because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:
Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives
him a whipping with his belt.
1957 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to
college and becomes a successful businessman.
2010 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed
to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by
Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad
goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:
Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school..
1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal
2010 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school
for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:
Pedro fails high school English.
1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to
college.
2010 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles
appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement
for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the
state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then
banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but
ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:
Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of
July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red
ant bed.
1957 - Ants die.
2010 - ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny
is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents --
and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are
confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is
never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:
Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee He
is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.
1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.
2010 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her
job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of
therapy.

This should hit every email in-box to show how stupid we have
become!

... why so people who like forwarding inflammatory bullshit will have something else to send me? You know the ones... they send the 'they are trying to take God off of our money', or the Microsoft/AOL money for your email, or my favorite, Obama isn't a US citizen. I wish there was a 'Snopes' filter for email.

The list is marginally funny, but entirely inaccurate.
I disagree Oshins, some on there are pretty accurate, or could be. Try #1 for example. Where I went to high school, I can remember plenty of trucks with gun racks, and guns in them during school. And this was in the 70s. Now you hear about kids getting expelled for holding their hand like a gun.
Taz I agree with you. The listed items can be true depending on where you live. I was in high school in the mid 60's and these things happened.
very true taz...i had a friend park way off school campus, and walked to the school bc he left his fighting swords in the car. needless to say, he was still expelled and wasnt even on school grounds.

i thought the post was a little entertaining.
Well, I dunno. If the same kid who did those things in 1957 is still in school in 2010 I would have to say that the 1957 method failed.
Hey Barney
How True.. And Funny...

Well, I dunno. If the same kid who did those things in 1957 is still in school in 2010 I would have to say that the 1957 method failed. Originally Posted by barneyrubble
OK, with the 'so depending on where you lived' disclaimer on #1... the rest are still pure hyperbole.
Hyperbole

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This article is about the term used in rhetoric. For the mathematical term, see Hyperbola.
Hyperbole (pronounced /haɪˈpɜrbəli/,[1] from ancient Greek ὑπερβολή 'exaggeration'), is a rhetorical device in which statements are exaggerated. It may be used to evoke strong feelings or to create a strong impression, but is not meant to be taken literally.
Hyperboles are figures of speech that are exaggerated in order to create emphasis or effect. Hyperbole is a literary device often used in poetry, and is frequently encountered in casual speech.

An example of hyperbole is: "The bag weighed a ton".[2] Hyperbole helps to make the point that the bag was very heavy although it is not probable that it would actually weigh a ton. On occasion, newspapers and other media use hyperbole when speaking of an accident, to increase the impact of the story. This is more often found in tabloid newspapers, which often exaggerate accounts of events to appeal to a wider audience.

OK, with the 'so depending on where you lived' disclaimer on #1... the rest are still pure hyperbole. Originally Posted by oshins
I grew up in NE Oklahoma, (77 Graduated) and remember very clearly all the trucks at High School with gun Racks, (and some) not all, with guns in them. Yes times and attitudes have changed, none this was meant to be a fact, just a simple comparison to THEN and NOW.
I also remember very distinctly when my parents, ( Father) told me to do something I had better do it, or there was "HELL" to pay. I also remember getting my Butt Paddled in School, and on the School bus as well. None of this effected me, I think it made me a better person in the end. We had fun, we lived life to the fullest. But we had responsibilities to take care of, respect for our elders and an education to get. We Messed up I/we paid the price.
We could go on and on about this and so much more. Simply said, It is just a comparison and maybe a little "Hyperbole" to boot.

But in all seriousness, try to do some of these same things today... and see what happens.
  • Mokoa
  • 08-21-2010, 06:18 PM
The list is marginally funny, but entirely inaccurate. Originally Posted by oshins
My experience during my high school years and as a parent later on in life pretty much contradicts that.

Just what do you base your assertion, "entire inaccurate," on?

Actually, lacanterra's post is not funny. It is a sad and quite accurate portrayal of just how screwed up the public school system has become.
It is a sad and quite accurate portrayal of just how screwed up the public school system has become. Originally Posted by Mokoa
With all due respect to the Man in Black:

How screwed up our country is!
  • Mokoa
  • 08-21-2010, 10:16 PM
I am well aware of that as well Gipper.

He was referring to the schools, so that is what I addressed. What you are referring to would better be addressed in its own thread.
I am aware of what hyperbole means, and that is exactly what I meant. Exaggerated for dramatic effect. THAT is what our culture has become. Distorting the truth. I would also argue that it is the parents that create the problems... the schools are then asked to fix them, or blamed when they don't. So yes, things have changed, as they have always done and will always do. As I once heard someone say... as time passes quality of life continues to improve and with it our perception that we are worse off than we used to be.

Mokoa:
Scenario 2 - So you are saying that the SWAT team shows up for fist fights? Nope.

Scenario 3 - Inaccurate account of '57 and '10. 1st, ADD, while grossly over diagnosed is a real affliction. So a good spanking in '57, '67, '77... or now will not 'cure the problem'. Second, Ritalin is an effective drug when used properly. It doesn't produce zombies. Third (and I looked this one up), it is possible to get SSI for ADHD, but proving the case is a monumental task. Is every case I read an attorney was required.
Scenario 4 - What part of this isn't fantasy? If I broke a window in 1957 and got a whipping I would become a successful business man? You honestly believe you can be arrested for simply spanking your child?
Scenario 5 - This has actually happened... and been overturned. Well except for the searching the car for weapons.
Scenario 6 - First, so people were less racist in 1957 or the same? Second, English class doesn't teach you to speak. It teaches things like hyperbole. English banned from a core curriculum? Really, where? Sounds like fiction to me.
Scenario 7 - Fantastic. BS, but fantastic.
Scenario 8 - Perhaps a Mary Kay Laterno reference? Sure female teachers have been caught in record numbers in recent years, but thinking that this is a new phenomena is silly.

So, drugs and guns... things you you used to be able to bring to school. I'm glad it's 2010.
Oshins,
LOL
Come on..those were the good days,and yet today if any of this were to occur.. and it has in one sense of the form or another, all hell breaks loose.
As for getting arrested for spanking you child...
How about this recent news..
Plane was diverted because a flight attendant removed a crying child from her parents because the mother apparently slapped the kid on the cheek.. Hyperbole or not is does happen,
And this... I personally know this happened,
My then Insurance Agent is in a store with his 2 or 3 year old little girl... she is acting up as usual. He gives her a swat on her butt. and proceeds with his business. Unknowing to him another patron see this, follows him to his car, gets his plate number, calls the police. They go to his home question him about him hitting his daughter. He is like... WTF... and tells them to mind your own Damn Business.

And yes English does teach you to SPEAK... Properly. Have you listened to the way kids speak these days. mostly unintelligible to say the least.

As for SWAT teams showing up for fights.... Pretty damn close sometimes, School lock down. Fist fights these days are not just fight between 2 people, these are gang fights or maybe multiples on just one person... which is not a fight, that is a beating!

I think the point here is you my friend are not looking at the whole picture as it relates to Today.
There are people fighting to say the Pledge of Allegiance in School
They say that saying God in school is not correct either, as well as school prayer.

I tell you what, I wish it was like the old days, and HELL YES!!! it did make me a better person.
I was taught respect, I was taught right from wrong, I was taught to be responsible, and to get my education. And honestly getting my ass whipped, paddled, beat whatever you want to call it.. did not hurt me. I was taught to work for something I wanted. Not needed, as it was provided, but what I wanted. And when I worked for it, I was happy to buy my first car at 15. Cant tell you how hard it was to make that $500 for that car. Many bales of hay hauled, at 3 cents/bale. Building lots of barbed wire fence for a local land owner, and working all summer for a city youth program.
I respected my parents, my teachers.
Can you honestly say that today of our youth.
Part of the problem today is our youth are called- "The Entitlement Generation" they want everything for nothing.

I have (3) grown Children, My 2 boys I was very hard on them. My Daughter was raised by her mother and is a train Wreck waiting to happen. In every sense of the work. There is a 12 year gap between my Daughter and Youngest son. He can not believe the way she acts, and the things she does. My son told her, if Dad was here he would not put up with your Shit. when he said to do something, you did it or else.
Did it make my boys bad kids, or hurt them, or were they neglected in any way? NO IT DID NOT.
Compared to My Daughter, My son served in the Military, USMC, is now a computer Programmer for a Major Defense Contractor, My other son is also a Professional Computer analyst / programmer.

All of these comparisons are pretty much correct... not 100%, but for the most part true.
A lot of them have happened in our schools and my thought is it will only get worse.

Oh, and as for the firecracker scenario, now kids make pipe bombs in their home garage. And that my friend is another true incident that happened a couple of years ago, maybe longer. The parents never knew a thing.