I Heard Face Book was not Hobby Safe?

I Heard Face Book was not Hobby Safe?
Anyone have any info about Face book publishing or revealing Ip addresses?
This would allow LE to know where you are located at any given time!
Is that the same on Craigs list?
JADE
No site is really hobby safe.
correct, no site is hobby safe. wifi off other networks in different locations other than your home
  • Mokoa
  • 08-28-2010, 11:39 AM
Such popular social networking sites are not the kind of places where you want to place references to the Hobby.
I wouldn't use FB to hobby.

I've got another question, though? Why all the paranoia over LE tracking/monitoring your web activity? Do you know how much effort it would take for LE to monitor web-surfing? Nevermind the fact it is Un-Constitutional. Besides even if they did know from which IP address a computer accessed a certain website, the fruits of that information would be meaningless b/c they 1) can't deduce intent and 2) they can't put a specific person behind the mouse/keyboard. In other words, it would be a colossal waste of effort. The people to be afraid of in terms of monitoring your web-hobby activities would be divorce lawyers/private investigators. They get paid big bucks to snoop and use the info in divorce proceedings.
Just a suggestion, Try a Wireless Internet Card. Each time you log on with it, you get a new ip address. Since they use a phone number and the card dials into the phone number assigned to you, it's more like wireless dial up. Great thing, when using it with Craigslist, and other sites, is if you need to change your ip address, simply log off and back on again. These also work great while driving down the road in the car, and who can find you there?

They run about 99 a month, and without good credit you may have to put up a larger deposit, but it's well worth the peace of mind.

Tammy

I've got another question, though? Why all the paranoia over LE tracking/monitoring your web activity? Do you know how much effort it would take for LE to monitor web-surfing? Nevermind the fact it is Un-Constitutional. Besides even if they did know from which IP address a computer accessed a certain website, the fruits of that information would be meaningless b/c they 1) can't deduce intent and 2) they can't put a specific person behind the mouse/keyboard. In other words, it would be a colossal waste of effort. The people to be afraid of in terms of monitoring your web-hobby activities would be divorce lawyers/private investigators. They get paid big bucks to snoop and use the info in divorce proceedings.
Couldn't agree with you more! Also...why on earth would anyone put hobby information on FB? That's just asking for trouble.

There's a very well known provider(AE) that not only posted her body/face pics, but very distinct hobby related information, in her attempt, to argue with a hobbyist. Imho, that was the dumbest thing I've ever seen...not to mention a security risk. Was I the only one to think this?

I've got another question, though? Why all the paranoia over LE tracking/monitoring your web activity? Do you know how much effort it would take for LE to monitor web-surfing? Nevermind the fact it is Un-Constitutional. Besides even if they did know from which IP address a computer accessed a certain website, the fruits of that information would be meaningless b/c they 1) can't deduce intent and 2) they can't put a specific person behind the mouse/keyboard. In other words, it would be a colossal waste of effort. The people to be afraid of in terms of monitoring your web-hobby activities would be divorce lawyers/private investigators. They get paid big bucks to snoop and use the info in divorce proceedings. Originally Posted by Cpalmson
First of all I should say we all have different risk profiles/tolerances.

That said (agreeing with you) there is a big difference between possible (from a snooping standpoint) and practical.

The one watchout is if you are Joe Middle Manager staying at the Holiday Inn Express, resist the urge to open eccie or related site on your employer's computer.
Just a suggestion, Try a Wireless Internet Card. Each time you log on with it, you get a new ip address. Since they use a phone number and the card dials into the phone number assigned to you, it's more like wireless dial up. Great thing, when using it with Craigslist, and other sites, is if you need to change your ip address, simply log off and back on again. These also work great while driving down the road in the car, and who can find you there?

They run about 99 a month, and without good credit you may have to put up a larger deposit, but it's well worth the peace of mind.

Tammy Originally Posted by TampaTammyBBW
Virgin broadband2go is pay-as-you go, as little as $20 for 30 days.