Abortion

Seems worth noting that the overwhelming majority of countries on the planet either prohibit abortion on demand altogether or place a gestational limit between 10 and 24 weeks beyond which no on demand abortions are allowed. That strikes me as a reasonable compromise.
Democratic women in favor of abortion used to talk about "legal, safe and rare" regarding abortion. They seem to have dropped the "rare" caveat. Originally Posted by Ducbutter
I don't know what percentage of women getting abortions at the 24 plus week is, but I'd say it's likely rare by comparison to those who are sub 24 weeks. I am not indicating that I don't have empathy or compassion for the fetuses- but there is a few cases that demonstrate rights of the individual, being superceded by the rights of those who cannot live as an individual. A parasitic type of association - in the ethics conversation: The rights of a born person trump the rights of the unborn person. [1]See, among others, additional Human Rights Committee decisions

When a woman has to be TOLD that her rights are surrogate to an unwanted pregnancy- then her unborn fetus has more civil and legal rights than she does. That's not ok. When we treat the unborn with more rights than those of the born, -there is a very slippery slope that starts. - we're seeing it now in states like Alabama and Arizona. It's going to cost the GOP the election btw.
If men could get pregnant, would the discussion on abortion be the same ?
If men could get pregnant, would the discussion on abortion be the same ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
The question of…..”if men could get pregnant, would the discussion be the same” is as ludicrous as saying…….”If a Fetus, (unborn baby), could talk, would it be in favor of getting aborted.

Since both are impossible, it should not enter into the conversation.
It is a legitimate question, since it is mostly men deciding on the laws surrounding the abortion issue.
It is a legitimate question, since it is mostly men deciding on the laws surrounding the abortion issue. Originally Posted by VitaMan
It wouldn't be any different Now scream about that.
  • Tiny
  • 04-16-2024, 11:55 AM
If men could get pregnant, would the discussion on abortion be the same ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
I don't think so. In this 2023 poll, 55% of women identified as pro-choice, versus 41% pro-life. For men, 47% were pro-choice and 48% pro-life.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/244709/...ic-tables.aspx

If you asked women though if they approved of on demand abortion after, say, 24 weeks, I bet a majority would say no. A majority of the pro-choicers might say no.

And yes, women should have more say so than men, since they're the ones who get pregnant.
Bill Maher admitted that abortion is a murder, he's just ok with it. I can appreciate the honesty, but that's about it.
With as many low cost birth control methods available as exist today, an unwanted pregnancy should be extremely rare.
Abortion is a killing for convenience.
Irony…
With as many low cost birth control methods available as exist today, an unwanted pregnancy should be extremely rare.
Abortion is a killing for convenience. Originally Posted by Ducbutter
^^^^^^^^
The reason 95% of all abortions are performed is for convienience.
Does a soul make a difference as to whether a human being is considered “alive” ?

Our bodies are simply biological machines. When it no longer functions, it is called death. And several
religions consider that is the time when the soul leaves the body. Some religions believe the “soul” is reincarnated, and returns in a different body.

How can something “unborn” be considered to already have a soul ? Or, when does a soul enter the body ?

These ideas go to the heart of the abortion issue. Without a soul, all you can say is you are dealing with a biological machine.
Irony… Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Yes

How can something “unborn” be considered to already have a soul ? Or, when does a soul enter the body ? Originally Posted by VitaMan
After 40 days of gestation per the Talmud.
Bill Maher admitted that abortion is a murder, he's just ok with it. I can appreciate the honesty, but that's about it. Originally Posted by Ducbutter
He's ok with it being murder because like so many pro Abortion folks he's never seen anything traumatic. I wonder how he would feel about it if he was able to witness an Abortion. Watching a Doctor as he pulled tiny body parts out of a young women. Knowing the only reason why it's happening is because she's inconvenienced.
He's ok with it being murder because like so many pro Abortion folks he's never seen anything traumatic. I wonder how he would feel about it if he was able to witness an Abortion. Watching a Doctor as he pulled tiny body parts out of a young women. Knowing the only reason why it's happening is because she's inconvenienced. Originally Posted by Levianon17
So dramatic and wrong. Good grief.
And I've seen several abortions.